PDA

View Full Version : Built engine reliability

bchaney
08-04-2008, 09:33 AM
I'd like to take reliability/longevity into account in planning for my build. My ep is my dd so I want it to run for a while, especially if I'm putting a decent amount of $ into it.

So how does this work? Is it as easy as more aftermarket parts = less reliability? Higher compression = less reliability? Forged rods/pistons = less reliability?

Assume build quality is constant (ie. any setup is built/assembled well). Also I'm talking about an N/A application.

tieu
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
depends what your looking for.. what kinda power output you want and how you drive..

you a spirited driverr always pushing it or ...?

if its a DD and be running NA you shouldnt really need to mod much, just wasting money but if your looking to push alot (cams and crank) then i guess you could do a few things but its $$ that could be used elseware

davisj3537
08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
A mild build sounds like a good option for you. By that I mean mild compression/cams. Nothing crazy.

shadowmd
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
yea thats what i am doin. eagel rods, cp 12.5:1 cr pistons, and stage 2 cams on my built head

bchaney
08-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't plan on going crazy, I guess I'm mostly wondering if I'll be satisfied with a 9.6:1 CR or if I should go for some aftermarket pistons. I just want to make sure I'm satisfied with the bottom end before I pay to get it put in the car. I can always swap the head/cams/top end while the engine's in the car.

I think I read somewhere that you should wait for the car to fully warm up before putting any load on forged internals. Is this true?

shadowmd
08-04-2008, 03:23 PM
yea, its best to let the car to warm up. otherwise they will make a "clank" sound thats them knockin around lol.....i have eagle h-beam rods for the fact that they are really reliable. these are the same rods that chunky is using in his built 2.0 and they holding up great

pynikal
08-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't plan on going crazy, I guess I'm mostly wondering if I'll be satisfied with a 9.6:1 CR or if I should go for some aftermarket pistons. I just want to make sure I'm satisfied with the bottom end before I pay to get it put in the car. I can always swap the head/cams/top end while the engine's in the car.

I think I read somewhere that you should wait for the car to fully warm up before putting any load on forged internals. Is this true?

keep the 9.6:1 CR and do the JRSC-R kit on her. that is what i am going to do!:mcool:

talonXracer
08-10-2008, 07:40 AM
If you are not prepared to allow proper engine warm-up before driving I would stay with OEM cast pistons.

Forged pistons will not and can not last as long as OEM cast pistons, it is just the nature of the beast. Forged pistons are stronger, but also expand at a much greater rate, thusly they need to be sized ALOT looser when cold. So if you start hammering on forged pistons before they have warmed up and expanded, they will rock in the bore, wearing out very quickly. Forged pistons by their design, will not last as long as cast do and until properly warmed up, will be ALOT louder as well.

bchaney
08-10-2008, 08:38 AM
keep the 9.6:1 CR and do the JRSC-R kit on her. that is what i am going to do!:mcool:

Have you seen any hp/tq numbers on this setup? I think if I were to go boost I'd go with a turbo.

Thanks for the forged vs. cast schooling, I'll prob go with OEM for DD-ability.