PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Dynamics Display system

revelations
08-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Hey Guys,

Looking for a CD playing head unit that displays information about various aspects of the EP3 (eg, acceleration forces, throttle position, fuel economy, voltage, etc).

I havent settled on a DIN or DDIN yet.

I've looked at the AVIC N1/N2 and a few others, but not sure if an additional processor is required (~300$) to make it work with the head units or if there are other different units available. The HKS CAMP system looks like its old news (judging on the lack of items available on eBay).

Anyone out here have anything to reference to?

VegaS10
08-04-2008, 05:50 PM
It is built into the Avic D, N, and Z series Pioneer units.

The newer the unit, the better and more features they have.

RON
08-05-2008, 06:31 AM
It is built into the Avic D, N, and Z series Pioneer units.

The newer the unit, the better and more features they have.

how does it work? Or how is it reading that info?

VegaS10
08-05-2008, 07:06 AM
The avics have a built in gyro-meter. To make it work 100%, you have to wire it to the vss wire (which is embarassingly easy to find at the cruise control module under the dash).

Combine the GPS antenna, VSS feed and gyro-meter and you have a nice little setup...

RON
08-05-2008, 07:09 AM
The avics have a built in gyro-meter. To make it work 100%, you have to wire it to the vss wire (which is embarassingly easy to find at the cruise control module under the dash).

Combine the GPS antenna, VSS feed and gyro-meter and you have a nice little setup...

I guess I always thought there was a ton of wiring to do for something like that.

BlownSi05
08-05-2008, 07:30 AM
I guess I always thought there was a ton of wiring to do for something like that.

yeah not difficult at all man. i have the avic-d3 in my car and love the hell out of it. you do not have to hook up the vss wire the unit can handle everything by gps and the gyro, but it is more accurate with the vss wire connected of course.

revelations
08-05-2008, 11:05 AM
What vehicle specs are available from the D3? For eg. fuel economy, throttle position, torque, etc.

And are there applications that add more specs which could be loaded into the system?

revelations
08-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok so I've compared the Pioneer avic D3, N5 and Z3.

They all show the same specs with their VDD: voltage, various accelerations, time, slope and direction - NOTHING to do with fuel economy or throttle position sensor, torque, etc.

Are there other units out there besides Pioneers?

Chad
08-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Getting a bit OT, but which is the easiest to operate, i may put one in the Pilot, it has a cavernous dash cavity but the wifey gets easily frustrated. Can you have nav AND CD playing at the same time? I'm a total double Din Newb, I'm happy with a CD player and nice DSP.

liquid cooled
08-05-2008, 03:46 PM
^ I think on the avic series thats a no go, with CD + navigation.

VegaS10
08-05-2008, 06:07 PM
yeah not difficult at all man. i have the avic-d3 in my car and love the hell out of it. you do not have to hook up the vss wire the unit can handle everything by gps and the gyro, but it is more accurate with the vss wire connected of course.

It's alot more accurate with the VSS hooked up. VSS is blue/white in the cruise control module under the dash. It's even labeled "auto cruise". Take 10 minutes of your life and get the full function of the unit.

What vehicle specs are available from the D3? For eg. fuel economy, throttle position, torque, etc.

And are there applications that add more specs which could be loaded into the system?

That's all thats available. I know of NO unit that an tell you torque...except a dyno.

Ok so I've compared the Pioneer avic D3, N5 and Z3.

They all show the same specs with their VDD: voltage, various accelerations, time, slope and direction - NOTHING to do with fuel economy or throttle position sensor, torque, etc.

Are there other units out there besides Pioneers?

What EXACTLY are you looking for? Pioneer has the most common and desired measurements.

Getting a bit OT, but which is the easiest to operate, i may put one in the Pilot, it has a cavernous dash cavity but the wifey gets easily frustrated. Can you have nav AND CD playing at the same time? I'm a total double Din Newb, I'm happy with a CD player and nice DSP.

Pioneer wins hands down. Alpine has some very nice units as well. Check both ther sites and compare for yourself. From experience, I can tell you the Pioneers are VERY simple to use.

^ I think on the avic series thats a no go, with CD + navigation.

The Z-series allows it. I'm unsure of the others.

revelations
08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
What EXACTLY are you looking for? Pioneer has the most common and desired measurements.

I am looking for throttle position, fuel/air mixture, instant fuel economy - basically the input data that the ECU reads.

Maybe I should I be looking at a VAFC / SAFC unit of somekind?

I'm not looking to modify the ECU parameters but it might be my only choice to see this data.

VegaS10
08-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I know Apexi units can do alot of monitoring, but they don't do the MPG stuff.

I think that may be a better option.

mattism78
08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
I am looking for throttle position, fuel/air mixture, instant fuel economy - basically the input data that the ECU reads.

Maybe I should I be looking at a VAFC / SAFC unit of somekind?

I'm not looking to modify the ECU parameters but it might be my only choice to see this data.

I have a few Nissan friends who use these:
http://www.scangauge.com/

Chad
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks Vega, I'll do some research, I'd love to get that TomTom off of her windshield :D

So if you can't do Nav+CD then can you buy an external changer and keep the Nav disc (s) in that?

revelations
08-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Thats the shit right there.... thanks a bunch!!

Chazwick05
08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
i have the Alpine IVA-W205 double din touchscreen with the Alpine Blackbird II navigation system. the blackbird II is a standalone unit, but can be inserted into the W205 for seamless integration.

i can also play music from my directly connected ipod while the gps is working :mbiggrin:

here's a pic:

http://media.audiojunkies.com/alpine-blackbird-ii-gps-navigation-w205.jpg

AzNCrAzYcOoLeR
08-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Thats the shit right there.... thanks a bunch!!

thats pricey...any other alternative?

revelations
08-12-2008, 07:46 AM
scangauges start around 170CAD on ebay, is that pricey?

dirtyMETHOD
04-10-2010, 04:53 AM
i like this... bringing it back now y'all

Twisted-X
04-25-2010, 12:42 PM

This is a neat little item. Does it show AFR as well?

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like you can manually add gauges to it using the "Xguage" feature.