PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Warranty Voided due to HFP Rims

VividSI
08-04-2008, 05:36 PM
My frustration continues with my local Honda dealership. Recently my 3rd gear was grinding when shifting above 5k. I took it in to have it looked at and the warranty guy voided my 100k warranty due to "abuse" "hard shifting" Injen CAI, and last but not least my HFP 17" wheels. I am completely confused at this point. They want over $1,500 in parts plus labor to fix my transmission. I have been told that regardless of the mod, it can void your warranty completely. And I got him to admit that even if you just buy new tires you dont have a warranty either because they arent michelen or whatever. I will not let them get away with this and my car can hog up a lift for months if need be. I have enjoyed people not staring at me while im in the LX. It gets better though, I got them to show me where the damage was and they showed me a gear that had obvious wear on it. I had to ask a different technician because the other one didnt speak english, and he said that it was my reverse gear. So the other yahoos are trying to say ive been dogging it in reverse? I remember trying to engage it in reverse while still rolling when i got the car, I guess it did more than I thought, but anyway they have not presented me with 1 valid point on why they are not covering my warranty except that they just dont want to. Oh and I made the mistake of asking the guy that didnt speak english where the differential was located at and he said my car doesnt come with one. I said yes it does, Then he tried to show me from the back of my car how there is a mod to make it rear wheel drive and actually get a differential.......WTF. I have told the service advisor that I dont want him touching my car again.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/nizac/CIMG1260.jpg

3dkahuna
08-04-2008, 06:05 PM
:meek:

hmmm.

3dkahuna
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
:meek:

What....

CAI would not affect 3rd gear...

HFP would not affect 3rd gear...

only hard shifting would affect 3rd gear...

Time to call honda of america...

04EP3Hatch
08-04-2008, 06:08 PM
dude, take the fight to the showroom of the dealership, u will win

Civic5lug
08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
They have to prove your CAI caused your 3rd gear scynchros to take a shit. As for the other minor things like ......"abuse" "hard shifting"....Thats totaly legit.

As for the rims, i prob would of jumped across the counter....Super Troopers style.......and fuck someone up lol

mattism78
08-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Go to a different dealership, if there are no local dealerships go back and make it known that you are unhappy on their busiest day. Contact the local media, Honda America, etc. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

shadowmd
08-04-2008, 06:14 PM
dude wtf?!?!?! lol they are fucking HONDA WHEELS! lol that place is fucking stupid! places like that piss me the HELL OFF!

and then the tire comment! omg! u've got to be kidding me lol

end rant... :mangel:

good luck bro. dealing with assholes/retards has been proven to be useless....i'd go somewhere else

jjermzz
08-04-2008, 06:21 PM
You should of put the factory airbox on... Oh yea your a moron if you pay that shit. You can get new SI tranny for $1200 shipped from papituyo, and transfer the insides. Plus you get LSD and 6th gear.

I've grinded 1,2 and reverse a bunch of times since 54xxx. Now it got 134xxx and I'm good. Thats with a lot of city driving. Change your tranny fluid it could help.

skoundrelusa
08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
LOL at the RWD theory

jisungoppa
08-04-2008, 06:54 PM
LOL at the RWD theory

x2 lol

NitroBoarder
08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Get in touch with corporate honda, and let them know what your local dealership is trying to pull on you. They will fix it for you.

STP03BlueSI
08-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Then he tried to show me from the back of my car how there is a mod to make it rear wheel drive and actually get a differential...

um...He would have gotten the swift kick in the head as he bent down.:mangel:

Fuck have fun with Honda Corp. They are dicks. If you get the fat fucker named Tom and is your "Reg KY Supplier" tell him to piss off.

He couldnt drive a Automatic correctly:mrolleyes: I know he took me for a ride in one.

All in all Put a call in to Honda, dont raise hell.

Then go to another dealership, and state the issues. Go see what they say.

ecsahs3
08-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Call american honda corporate office. My cousin used to work for them and they take things seriously there. They're trying to fuck you, fuck'em back proper.

jisungoppa
08-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Yea you should most def call corporate

EPSpeedKing
08-04-2008, 08:43 PM
call corporate or go to another dealership, some honda dealerships won't give you a hassle over a modded car. That's total BS the HFP rims voided your warranty, and that's oem.

shusi
08-04-2008, 08:45 PM
geezes! dont' pay the 1500+. like they say, get that 6th gear if all fails!!

good luck!

socmex7
08-04-2008, 09:45 PM
you should have put the stock airbox in before going to Honda for the gear grinding.. other then that WTF?!?!?!?! that's complete bs of how the HFP rims voided your warranty. and the tires too? cmon.. even with the CAI, how would it damage the gears? maybe the motor but how would it affect the tranny? ask them to explain that one to you in detail... and document what they say..

cow
08-04-2008, 09:53 PM
even with the CAI, how would it damage the gears? When installing a CAI on my EP, I managed to misposition it in a spot where the transmission wouldn't shift (noob mistake).

That's clearly not what happened to the thread starter, but I'm just saying, haha.

Companies in general will do their best to avoid paying a large sum of money. It's financially smart. Would you want to give money away if you could sucker someone into thinking you're being fair?

Like one said earlier, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." Be vociferous but respectful & your issue will be fixed.

FCobra94
08-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Word.

Go to another dealership or start shopping for a new trans.

This might help too:
http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/CLU-TS-SGR-p-TR.html

T_Virus
08-05-2008, 07:33 AM
yeah go to another dealership but replace your cai with your stock intake box...if they also give you bs then call corporate

epshtielsl
08-05-2008, 07:44 AM
LMFAO at the wheel bull shit. If I were you I would have put in the stock airbox before heading out to the dealer, but if they tried to tell me my rims voided my drivetrain warranty I would have flipped a fucking shit. They are trying to fuck you over. Call corporate (but be polite) then head over to the dealer again and talk to them. If they try and feed you the same BS go ape shit on their asses.

P.S. I <3 cow's avatar. That is all

Chad
08-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Research and mention key points of

Magnusson-Moss

jimmyjames
08-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Look up the cam lobe galling thread of mine; it has a form letter to Honda of America with some guidelines for writing it.
Change it all around and send it in. You'll get a response in a few days from them and they'll help you out.
The dealership is trying to make the connection that installing a CAI proves you are an aggressive driver.
You may want to include some examples of stock cars that come with cold air intakes and that it is not a hard driving issue.

Gargola
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
My first question would be...

It is a Honda Care warranty???

If so... then I would say you have grounds... if it's a aftermarket warranty... you might be shit out of luck.

My brother got a 100k warranty for his TL from a used car dealer, when he brought it to get his motor mounts replaced, the mechanic called the warranty place and without first hearing what the issue with the car was, or what needed to be worked on, they asked the following questions...

What size wheels were on the car, if the car had an aftermarket alarm, and if the headlights had a HID kit.

All popular items that people "mod" there car with....

He has 3rd gen TL rims on a 2nd Gen TL, and an aftermarket alarm... they canceled his warranty on the spot.

He looked at the warranty contract.... and what do you know, there was a clause that stated no modifications can be made to the car.

Personally I would have fought it.... but he didn't....:yield:

VividSI
08-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I bought the car new with the extended warranty. I just spoke with the service manager from the dealer and he said that there is fine print that says any mod done to the car voids the warranty. He said he will call on my behalf to see if he can change their mind and that the dealer gets paid whether I pay for the repairs or Honda does, so im leaning towards the company trying to screw me not the dealer. He also agreed that it was bs about the wheels. The new SI has a CAI by the way. Its kind of like the comptech design. They still havent told me how much just to walk away, it better be free because of their stupidity. Does anybody know the Honda Corporate #? I dont want them to get away with this because I know people who have been covered.

Gargola
08-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I bought the car new with the extended warranty. I just spoke with the service manager from the dealer and he said that there is fine print that says any mod done to the car voids the warranty. He said he will call on my behalf to see if he can change their mind and that the dealer gets paid whether I pay for the repairs or Honda does, so im leaning towards the company trying to screw me not the dealer. He also agreed that it was bs about the wheels. The new SI has a CAI by the way. Its kind of like the comptech design. They still havent told me how much just to walk away, it better be free because of their stupidity. Does anybody know the Honda Corporate #? I dont want them to get away with this because I know people who have been covered.

Remember, just because you bought it with your car at the Honda dealer, it's not a guarantee it's a " Honda Care" warranty.

Dealers make money all time time off assuming customers who think they are getting a Honda extended warranty, just because they bought it at the dealer...:thumbd:

Good luck

dashehonda
08-05-2008, 02:16 PM
They have to prove your CAI caused your 3rd gear scynchros to take a shit. As for the other minor things like ......"abuse" "hard shifting"....Thats totaly legit.

As for the rims, i prob would of jumped across the counter....Super Troopers style.......and fuck someone up lol

"Does this look like spit to you?"

But seriously, mine was voided by the AEM CAI ,and they even said the front mount inserts too, i was like "how would any of that have to do with a rod bearing"??????? In the end, the warranty is only as good as the person who sells it, Which means its garbage

VividSI
08-05-2008, 04:35 PM
well after all of this I will not be buying another Honda.

dashehonda
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
well after all of this I will not be buying another Honda.

This is anywhere you go though. Any dealer, any where, on any given day will gladly bend you over and give you his steaming hot pastrami sub-sandwich. :golan:

!@#$%
08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Weigh the potential benefits of getting an attorney. This case is stupid enough that you may be able to come out ahead.

SiN05
08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
all the more reason not to get a warranty. they do whatever they want anyhow so whats the point i'd rather save the cash. When my immoblizer when out in my car after only 4 monthes of owning the car i took it to a honda dealer and the guy said i didn;t know how to drive my car and i flood the motor everytime by pressing the gas. I swear they think everyone the gets work done at these places just has idiot stamped on their forehead.

jisungoppa
08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
all the more reason not to get a warranty. they do whatever they want anyhow so whats the point i'd rather save the cash. When my immoblizer when out in my car after only 4 monthes of owning the car i took it to a honda dealer and the guy said i didn;t know how to drive my car and i flood the motor everytime by pressing the gas. I swear they think everyone the gets work done at these places just has idiot stamped on their forehead.

That's just f'ed up

I wonder what happens to Honda employees when they bring their own cars to get it covered under warranty.

onmibike
08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
I purchased a aftermarket warranty when I got my ep used. I told the dealer that I had a s/c installed, he told me that my warranty would be voided. I called the company that I got the warranty from and they gave me a refund. It was prorated, got 1,000 of my 1,300 back.

socmex7
08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
When installing a CAI on my EP, I managed to misposition it in a spot where the transmission wouldn't shift (noob mistake).

That's clearly not what happened to the thread starter, but I'm just saying, haha.

haha, i forgot about that, but you'd find that out right away.. (i did the same thing :mredface:). it sounds like the starter had the CAI for awhile.. either way, he should have removed it before going to Honda for any type of work..

Princess
08-05-2008, 07:53 PM
You know HFP stands for Honda F-ing Piece of sh1t, right? lol

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213/flowher69/HFP.jpg

powdbyrice
08-06-2008, 12:32 PM
research and mention key points of

magnusson-moss
+1000

Rep
08-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Warranty is a waste of money. A warranty will only be honored at their choice regardless of the issue. You're still at their mercy and there is no GUARANTEE that your warranty will cover anything.

Kodeen
08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
No, the magnesium-moss or whatever it is called is not applicable since it's a 3rd party extended warranty, they can do pretty much whatever they want. And since it's a 3rd party warranty, I'm not so sure that getting in touch with Honda Corporate is going to be all that helpful either since the dealership would be getting reimbursed from the 3rd party company. Assuming the dealership is not breaking any agreement with Honda Corporate in regards to their relationship with the 3rd party, then the OP might be SOL.

Just get a car that you don't need to mod. Then every warranty will be honored and the sun will smile upon you.

powdbyrice
08-06-2008, 12:45 PM

you better go find that fine print and not take his word for it.

powdbyrice
08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
under the "Not covered" section of the honda care contract:

C. Any repair if a non-authorized part or accessory caused or contributed to the MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN (e.g. aftermarket performance parts, cold air intakes, strut tower braces, headers, adjustable fuel rails, non-factory or non-DEALER installed stero equipment, radios, speakers, amps, cd changers, etc)

VividSI
08-06-2008, 06:00 PM
It seems like they are just waiting for me to give in. There is no one saying this is the way its got to be or we are going to put everything back together and send you the bill. I was looking at the Scion TC, If i did get that car I would put every available TRD part on it and get the warranty and not put a single aftermarket part on it. Or if I did I would remove it I had anything major done to it. just an example though, not sure if I would buy it.

jjermzz
08-06-2008, 06:11 PM
I had a roommate that bought a rsx new from acura. Motor mounts went and he wanted them changed thru the warrantee. They told em they can't and that motor mount go out all the time. He was like for real, then I'll never buy and acura again. They changed them out.

as for mods, he had ugly 17' rims, exhaust. He bought the car in North Carolina and had the service in mass.

.colin
08-06-2008, 06:26 PM
the hfp rims are too heavy, more rotational mass - thats why they screwed up your tranny - makes perfect sense to me

VividSI
08-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Well all they are doing is hurting their reputation. If you talk to me or my friends, we all agree that I love Honda. Now I feel more neutral and now leaning towards a negative feeling about the company. I am looking more at VW Toyota and Subaru. But I guess that other guy was right about that you can get screwed anywere but I just dont see why thats in the companys best interest to not take care of the customer, Because people relate me with that blue car and are always asking me about it. Now if I share this experience with about 100 people I know, and everybody on the forums, that sucks for Honda just becuse they didnt want me as a customer anymore. They can just pull up my service record and see that I go there for everything anyway. It just doesnt make any sense. Other than they suck.

VividSI
08-06-2008, 06:35 PM
the hfp rims are too heavy, more rotational mass - thats why they screwed up your tranny - makes perfect sense to me

If thats true then they shouldnt of sold them with the car in the first place. Maybe they designed it to be the KO move on this POS tranny.

.colin
08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
^^ lawlz, i was just joking

VividSI
08-06-2008, 06:46 PM
I think they are heavier than the stock ones but if the car cant handle it than it sucks. That Honda guy was a retard anyway.

02_epdriver
08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Who put the HFP rims on your car? You or the dealer. The CAI can void the warranty just because it a stupid mod that they will always say that the problem no matter what the problem may be.

Warranties are a joke. Everytime I have boughten a car from a dealer it's in and out in 30 minutes or less. No warranty, no gap coverage, no bs.

VividSI
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
today they told me to just put my car back together it will be $800. And If i want it fixed parts and labor total to $3,000. Then the dick bag said that ive been racing it and i told him that he was wrong. I said show me that warranty in writing and he couldnt. he said that I should have it when I bought the car. Sounds like I need to call my lawyer.

Gargola
08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
today they told me to just put my car back together it will be $800. And If i want it fixed parts and labor total to $3,000. Then the dick bag said that ive been racing it and i told him that he was wrong. I said show me that warranty in writing and he couldnt. he said that I should have it when I bought the car. Sounds like I need to call my lawyer.

I recommend you do the following:
-Everything they say, ask for it writing.
-Ask another family member to get involved, have him go to the dealer and try to get it worked out. ( If they have a suit in their closet, now would be a good time to use it.)
-Be very professional , but be dead honest of your intentions ( No threats).
-Bring a notepad, document everyone you talk to, make it a point to ask for there full name.
-If the person you were talking too doesn't get you any closer to a resolution, ask for the manager, if he doesn't help, work your way up to the owner if you have to.
-If they refuse to put you in contact with a manager, you will find a manager of some sort on the sales floor.
-The whole time be nice, but be clear and state what your expectations are.

Good luck!

03civsi
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Call AHM directly and ask for the service rep of your district's phone number and start presenting your case to him. I know ours will bend over backwards for most people that have the service record that you're proclaiming.

showoff3civic
08-07-2008, 04:42 PM
do you have a honda care? this was not answered if so pm me i work for honda... honda is the most customer service oriented manufacture there is hands down. i work for them every single day

If its not a honda care service contract then your fucked because 3rd partys can do what they feel

VividSI
08-07-2008, 07:57 PM
pmd. I just want my car running again, you dont realize what you have until you lose it. I hate the new civic. my knee just about has a bruise on it due to rubbing against the E-brake. I miss DOHC and handeling from the ep.

spleensSi
08-08-2008, 08:31 AM
call corporate and complain to them. idk about this dealership but my local dealership will damn near do back flips for you so you wont call corporate.

showoff3civic
08-08-2008, 10:15 AM
i have been super busy today, soon as things slow down for me later today i will pm you back with some information

Tnhatch03
08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
man, sorry to hear about your EP and issue. don't give up on driving a Honda. some dealerships are just a PITA.

i would definately get a free consultation from a lawyer, to see if you have a case, and call up the HQ.

Phildonis
08-08-2008, 10:39 AM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?p=680166#post680166

click the thread above and read the first part in RED. tell them about it, stating the law case reference #, and see their reaction.
what they r doing is not very legal.
as stated, hard driving, hard shifting are legit. there is no law against it. they should make a gearbox solid enough to withstand these things, a least while it is still under warranty.

showoff3civic
08-08-2008, 02:56 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?p=680166#post680166

click the thread above and read the first part in RED. tell them about it, stating the law case reference #, and see their reaction.
what they r doing is not very legal.
as stated, hard driving, hard shifting are legit. there is no law against it. they should make a gearbox solid enough to withstand these things, a least while it is still under warranty.

what he bought wasnt a warrentee

warrentee is something that is assumed upon when purchasing of something so if you bought a warrentee your and idiot. lol

what you purchase is an extended service contracted called honda care, so if they decided that they do not want to cover something they do not have to because its there discression. On another note this is different then heavy mods to the vehical

VividSI
08-09-2008, 10:25 AM
I got them down to 2800 for the repar. im going to tell them to fix it and they should have it ready in at least a week. Honda care is closed on the weekend and the dealer needs an answer today on what im doing. I will be calling Honda care, monday to tell them my story and hopefully they can make something happen before I see the bill. But if not i just have to live with it and learn from this mistake. I do not race this car for it is my daily driver, but if i was in a court setting where i was asked if i had ever raced it, I couldnt lie because when the car was fairly new I took it to the track once. I know that this could not have done the damage (40K Miles ago) but their argument would be as good as mine. From their veiwpoint I can understand where they are coming from because they see a nice car with an intake, but they do not know how I drive the car. So hopefully Honda care can warrant this repair and keep me as a customer.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/nizac/CIMG1411.jpg

"You have aftermarket wheels and tires on this vehicle which broke your transmission" lol, I love it.

Riv Civ
08-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Good luck. VERY nice-lookin EP! Those wheels and that color together are perfect!!

Sorry that you've had to go through all this. Not cool at all.

!@#$%
08-09-2008, 10:42 AM
get. an. attorney.

seriously.

have you even called corporate yet?

VividSI
08-09-2008, 11:03 AM
thats what im talking about when i said honda care.

frm_808
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
some dealers are just douche bags about warranty cuz they dont make crap off of it. thats y u gotta get a buddy that works in a dealer like me:mcool:

some even void warranty for certain kinds of fricken air freshners for the car man...

for any one else out there that want to keep there warranty and want to do mods to the car, ask ur dealer wat u can and cant do and have them make a written document and sign and date it with as much people u can find in that dealer...IMO

VividSI
08-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Im still dealing with them and everytime I call its a different story. This time i got the rep to admit that none of my parts affect the transmission. But he says its the fact that the car is modified. My warranty states that any malfunction due to aftermarket parts are not covered. They are clearly liers and just dont want to cover it. my warranty is valid per my contract. They also keep saying "fine print" but they are still unable to show me where in the contract where it says that. I am the only one who is presenting proof to back up my claim. Screw this. I am not paying for crap.

ep3k20a2
08-20-2008, 03:40 PM
take some legal action!!! dont let them get away with it. Every dealer will say that, but welcome to the world of k-trannies!

bdooley
08-20-2008, 04:22 PM
put the stock intake back on just so they cannot use that as an excuse

akilbrid
08-22-2008, 10:00 AM

yeah, what this guy said, like cola for a cop, tom cruise in tropic thunder style

Passenger
08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
http://prettivacant.com/Photos-clean%20jpgs%20copy/Pins/BrassKnucklesP.jpg
Attorney At Law.

VividSI
08-22-2008, 03:48 PM
the manager at honda care is taking 2 weeks to get back to me after me calling him 4 times and telling people to call me. they just keep telling me hes busy with other stuff. The last guy showed me in my honda care book that it says any mod, he also said it depends on where you take it and who looks at it. so its up in the air if mods are present. I told them about my friend who has an ep and had his tranny fixed twice and they said that shouldnt of happened, i said i dont care and that i want the same treatment. they told me they cant do anything about that. He then said when i do speak to the manager that ask him if he wants to keep me as a customer to cover the expenses and have honda put in my oem intake. Well after all of this honda wants their loaner back since ive had it for a month. Seriously! how many appointments does this douche bag have for it to be two weeks before he makes a 5 min phone call? I am about to go Tom Cruise from Tropic Thunder all over these liers.

Unknownally
08-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Paying all that money for warranty and getting no use of it. This is bullshit!

It makes me furious to hear about this situation. Knowing that it could happen to any of us when we are in need. What they are, are haters, liars, and ripoff-cheapoes.

drjd888
08-22-2008, 04:33 PM
It's been hit or miss for me. I went in once to get my fix my squeaky clutch, had no issues. I went a year later to have them look at my throttle body because it got stuck twice and before they even checked it out they wanted to charge me for random cleaning. Both times I was completely stock. Sometimes you gotta by pushy and real vocal so you get more attention. I hate to say that but that usually gets it resolved, or at least quicker. Climb up that ladder of authority till you get the situation fixed. Hope you get it worked out.

ep3clardy
08-22-2008, 08:52 PM
wow dude that hella sucks bout the fuckin idiots at the dealer ship saying your out of warranty cuz of the fricken intake and wheels which are from HONDA. They just try to rip you off, they charge like 3 times the price of whatever it is your buying, I looked up on getting the hfp wing before when I didnt have one and they were gonna charge me 500 bucks I said fuck you. I went to prime shine car wash bout 3 months ago and there maching got caught on my sidemarker light on the rear bumper and totally ripped it off, well just the lens. I went to honda dealer and said Hey I need a new lens for the rear bumper sidemarker light. Kow what the dealer said. that will be $94.99 I said FUCK YOU. get that shit off ebay for 10 bucks.

nrengle
08-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Vivid. Let me talk to my dad. He's got the number for the president of American Honda. The guy takes all these things serious. I'll email him, and PM it to you when I hear back with it, unless you already have it.

VividSI
08-23-2008, 04:29 PM
I dont have any of that information. I cant even speak to the managers from the honda care. They keep saying they will call but never do. If you could get me anything it would help. They wont allow me to climb the ladder so to speak.

powdbyrice
08-23-2008, 04:48 PM
be persistant. dont let the man keep you down!

keep pushing them til you get the information that you need. call every other day til you reach someone.

adrian1281
08-23-2008, 04:58 PM
To the OP, you need to read something called the "MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT".

I won't go into details but basically it says, "Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle."

I found a link here:
http://www.retro-solutions.com/MAGNUSON%20MOSS%20WARRANTY%20ACT.doc

And the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

You need to start calling Honda corporate, doing some research on this law, and maybe even start talking to a lawyer.

adrian1281
08-23-2008, 05:04 PM
In addition, there is something called the SEMA Action Network which is a group who fights to get laws passed in favor of our hobby and such.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=/content/SEMASANcom/HomePage

With a little bit of research you may be able to speak to someone who can better help you out.

Edit: Take a look at this page as it lists step by step what you should do if you have a warranty claim denied by a dealership.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

EVOKIN
08-23-2008, 06:00 PM

I won't go into details but basically it says, "Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle."

Try telling that to Mitsubishi or I should say "Dealership" for voiding numerous EVO that I know of. I guess Honda is doing the same thing.

VividSI
08-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Im going to blow up their phone on monday and demand that I speak with a manager TODAY! All it is, they dont want to cover it. they know my mods arent the problem. If my car looked like I drove it off a bridge I might buy their theory that I abused the car.

nrengle
08-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Sorry boss couldn't get a hold of my dad today (he works for Honda). I'll try him again Sunday. I have a feeling you go straight to the top and raise a stink you might get somewhere

VividSI
08-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Id appreciate any help you could give me. Hopefully monday will bring some possitive light to this situation.

!@#$%
08-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Write the dealership an indirect claim letter.

nrengle
08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Check your PM...

socmex7
08-25-2008, 01:22 AM
Check your PM...

:grouphug:, this is why epcrack is so chill. because we all help each other out :mcool:

talonXracer
08-25-2008, 05:20 AM

I found a link here:
http://www.retro-solutions.com/MAGNUSON%20MOSS%20WARRANTY%20ACT.doc

And the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

You need to start calling Honda corporate, doing some research on this law, and maybe even start talking to a lawyer.

OK, now that is law, but that also only applies to the original factory warranty and not ANY extended or third party warranties!

The extended warranties are a pure scam, they are third partie warranties and actually have absolutely nothing to do with Honda other than they get a cut from your warranty costs. ALL third party warranties can deny coverage for any reason they see fit and do not have to apply the rules uniformily.

If the car is not 100% stock(including wheels and size of tires) they can deny coverage and refuse to pay. With the economy in such dire straights, new car owners are not getting the extended warranties, so the existing policies need to have the claims output reigned in to protect profits.

nrengle
08-25-2008, 01:01 PM
:grouphug:, this is why epcrack is so chill. because we all help each other out :mcool:

I just hope it helps him out with a little inside info...

VividSI
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
this keeps getting better and better. my service advisor tells me that the bill is $4,200. I say that doesnt make since because here is the list of things I have for them to do since they need their precious LX back.

Transmission job $3,000 ($1,500 worth of parts and labor)
Valve adjustment $159. (I just want it)
Clutch and Flywheel $200 (tranny is on the floor)
Tanabe Front Sway bar $50.00 (sub fram is already on the floor)
Stock Exhaust ??? $50? (tanabe one bangs my car when it rains)

and since he said I dont owe anything for the loaner car...... Im not the best at math but something isnt right. He couldnt explain the extra charges and he said that he would call me tommorow. The car should be complete by 5pm tuesday. Now the dealer is trying to screw me after the warranty people did. They can all go to hell, I am getting an attorney and returning the favor. I called honda care and asked why a manager still hasnt called me, he said that my denial letter was mailed, i mentioned the warranty act and he said everybody uses that line and that it doesnt apply to my situation. So your telling me that my aftermarket parts have nothing to do with my transmission but this act doesnt apply to my case?. Bullshit. they cant prove anything.\

Then the technician has the nerve to complain about working on my car, hes crying about how the valve job is too hard on the ep, EVEN THOUGH IM PAYING FOR IT???? Keep in mind this guy doesnt know what a differential is. Then I asked them to put my stock exhaust on since its on the lift. (ive got a tall order I know) Then he said that "Im not fucking with that".... I am dealing with complete morons and they have already lost me as a customer from the dealer to the whole company at this point. He also said that the exhaust was too hard, something about he cant adjust it right????? The fact that he cant speak english does not help either.

At this time Im not even sure if they are going to do the valve adjustment. They are probably just going to charge me and never touch it. I have been completely nice and professional and it has gotten me NO WHERE. When i call the vice president I will be kind one last time. When I get that survey I am going to tear them a new one just for having the nerve to tell me that the tech is pissed about my car taking up a lift for a month, and the fact that they are cheating me further on the bill. My dad and mom both have hondas and they are in need of a new car, the CRV and Accord turned into Lexus and Toyota just because they are seeing me deal with this crap.

nrengle
08-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Dude make sure you pass along the dealers name, the techs name, and everyone you've spoke too. The VP could lay some serious smack down for this. Especially how the tech is just talking to you. That alone I know is grounds for termination just for using the work "Fuck."

superchargedk20
08-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Man im so glad I never go to Honda. The one time i went to Honda for a warranty issue was i had condensation building on 1 of my headlights. they had the nerve to tell me that i took the headlight out and blackened it on my 05 headlight. even though they are stock and i never touched em. then they were dumb enough to "prove it" by showing me a 02-03 SI and told me thats how my headlights are supposed to look... I started laughin right there and asked em if they were serious. I told them to order a stock headlight for an 05 SI and if there is any difference what so ever on how the headlights look then they dont have to change it. sure enough new headlight for me and never saw the honda dealership ever again. Ive brought my car to the same performace shop for the 3 years ive had it, theyve done everything from tire rotations to boosting my ep. Never have had a problem. screw the dealership!!

oldskoofame
08-26-2008, 01:36 AM
this keeps getting better and better. my service advisor tells me that the bill is $4,200. I say that doesnt make since because here is the list of things I have for them to do since they need their precious LX back.

Transmission job $3,000 ($1,500 worth of parts and labor)
Valve adjustment $159. (I just want it)
Clutch and Flywheel $200 (tranny is on the floor)
Tanabe Front Sway bar $50.00 (sub fram is already on the floor)
Stock Exhaust ??? $50? (tanabe one bangs my car when it rains)

and since he said I dont owe anything for the loaner car...... Im not the best at math but something isnt right. He couldnt explain the extra charges and he said that he would call me tommorow. The car should be complete by 5pm tuesday. Now the dealer is trying to screw me after the warranty people did. They can all go to hell, I am getting an attorney and returning the favor. I called honda care and asked why a manager still hasnt called me, he said that my denial letter was mailed, i mentioned the warranty act and he said everybody uses that line and that it doesnt apply to my situation. So your telling me that my aftermarket parts have nothing to do with my transmission but this act doesnt apply to my case?. Bullshit. they cant prove anything.\

Then the technician has the nerve to complain about working on my car, hes crying about how the valve job is too hard on the ep, EVEN THOUGH IM PAYING FOR IT???? Keep in mind this guy doesnt know what a differential is. Then I asked them to put my stock exhaust on since its on the lift. (ive got a tall order I know) Then he said that "Im not fucking with that".... I am dealing with complete morons and they have already lost me as a customer from the dealer to the whole company at this point. He also said that the exhaust was too hard, something about he cant adjust it right????? The fact that he cant speak english does not help either.

At this time Im not even sure if they are going to do the valve adjustment. They are probably just going to charge me and never touch it. I have been completely nice and professional and it has gotten me NO WHERE. When i call the vice president I will be kind one last time. When I get that survey I am going to tear them a new one just for having the nerve to tell me that the tech is pissed about my car taking up a lift for a month, and the fact that they are cheating me further on the bill. My dad and mom both have hondas and they are in need of a new car, the CRV and Accord turned into Lexus and Toyota just because they are seeing me deal with this crap.

what's the address of the dealer?

manahoonie
08-26-2008, 01:30 PM

abuse and hard shifting theory is legitifey find reason for it other than just a worn third gear....if he has been 'hard shifting' and 'abuse', then the clutch should show abuse as well....

we had some dumbass kid bring his wrx back in two months after he bought it, with 1500 miles on it and wanting a new clutch under warranty....he claimed he didn't drive the car hard, yet needing a new clutch after only 1500?!? he was denied after a quick check of the edge of the tires as well:meek:

VividSI
08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
its mcdavid in houston. I called the head dude and sure enough his mail box is full. Im sure hes like all the other ballers who come in once a week to claim to be super busy then go on vacation. Anyway the service advisor said all they did was fix my tranny, put the front sway on and clutch and flywheel. I told them I am expecting to pay $3200 and Im not going to have a problem paying this amount, and thats what the price magically was again, not $4200.

They just tried to rip me off at the last minute and I told them I wasnt going to stand for it. When I came to get my car my service rep was gone, so I had to get other people to get my stuff together. I am going to pursue this legally, Im just glad i have my car back in perfect working order, and I didnt realize how much I was spoiled until driving the POS LX for a month.

Whats really bad was they refused to do my valve adjustment even when I agreed to tack on another 159 for the job. They said that my car doesnt ever need valve adjustments, but the day before the excuse was that it was too hard for the tech. Worthless losers, they just want to get rid of me even If Im a paying customer.They dont even know how to make money the legit way, just ripping customers off for work they dont do. Im just glad they didnt completely lie to me about it and charge me anyway.

EVOKIN
08-26-2008, 11:40 PM
abuse and hard shifting theory is legitifey find reason for it other than just a worn third gear....if he has been 'hard shifting' and 'abuse', then the clutch should show abuse as well....

we had some dumbass kid bring his wrx back in two months after he bought it, with 1500 miles on it and wanting a new clutch under warranty....he claimed he didn't drive the car hard, yet needing a new clutch after only 1500?!? he was denied after a quick check of the edge of the tires as well:meek:
He was not an abusive driver but a new driver learning how to drive manual with his WRX.:mbiggrin:

nrengle
08-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Just keep calling the guy. I'm sure he's busy actually. He was in Marysville 2 weeks ago going over the mockup of the new Civic....

He'll take care of ya. If anything get that dealership in some serious Pooh pooh! That place sullies the good name of Honda with that kind of service. It's not unheard of Honda pulling their name and product for a substandard dealer...

VividSI
08-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Ok, I will still give him a chance and I still plan on being completely nice but direct. Thanks again for the info.

nrengle
08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
No worries dude. This is definitely something that needs to be brought to the HDIC's (Head Dude In Charge) attention I do believe.

BeaterEP
08-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Wow man, just read through all of this again for the first time in a couple of weeks. I can not believe how you've been treated by these guys.

Makes me glad that my local dealership is pretty straightforward and professional, for the few occasions that I need them.

Goddamn, it sounds like half of that service dept needs to be fired, especially Cap'n Dipshit the Service Tech. He actually said all that shit about valve jobs being too hard/not needed, and exhaust install being too hard? SERIOUSLY??!?!?

Unfuckingbelievable man.

I think you ought to own that shop as compensation for this bullshit.

tv4184
08-27-2008, 11:46 PM
You should post this info on Houston Imports too. There are alot of honda drivers in houston and they'll be appreciative of this information. I am too. I'm on the ropes about Russell & Smith because when they did the tranny fluid change on my s2000 it was marked as ATF fluid. I hope they put in the right stuff. Damn dealerships.

04cvcsi
08-28-2008, 09:26 AM
lol, i love the part where the tech showed you how to convert your car to RWD

VividSI
08-28-2008, 03:52 PM
yea, I was speechless when he was showing me my rear axles and the diff that goes there also. Today they called me and asked if I wanted the old gears forks and syncs, so I just picked them up, and they also appologized for everything even for breaking my zeta arm rest which I had to fix yesterday. They said hopefully the VP or whatever can do something for me. Then I said, I hope so because as of now I am not a Honda customer, all of my family and friends know about this. I also mentioned about my parents needing new cars and that they arent hondas anymore, im just glad my dad didnt buy the cr-v fully loaded before this crap. I like my car but I do feel different about it, its almost like the thrill is gone and its just a car that I drive. It seems that the cars that people drive are an extension of their personallity and Im starting to not like being associated with this car or the image that it gives me. Maybe also this deppresion will wear off because its paid for and I dont feel like starting all over again so hopefully thats what will happen.

Oh and I called another dealership and asked for the service manager. I asked him about valve adjustments and he had to look in the computer for a sec then verified that valve adjustments can and should be done to my car after so many miles. SO ITS TRUE! I made an appointment to have it done for $180, for some reason they couldnt touch the other dealers quote, but its better than the $375 they quoted me last week for just calling them up and asking. What the heck, this car better last me another 70,000 miles or im driving it off a bridge embankment.

And lastly the tech who doesnt speak english rolled out in his 95 accord and asked me if I wanted to race, I hope he was joking because Id like to punch him in the face, even though he did an awesome job on the tranny. I just laughed at him then said I dont have a race car. What morons!

T_Virus
08-28-2008, 05:19 PM
$180 for a valve adjustment? I got a quote for $110 with a valve gasket and $120 without a valve gasket at my local honda...

04cvcsi
08-28-2008, 07:46 PM
And lastly the tech who doesnt speak english rolled out in his 95 accord and asked me if I wanted to race, I hope he was joking because Id like to punch him in the face, even though he did an awesome job on the tranny. I just laughed at him then said I dont have a race car. What morons!

you're lucky you didn't race him. he would've drifted circles around you in his RWD 95 accord

T_Virus
08-29-2008, 08:19 AM
you're lucky you didn't race him. he would've drifted circles around you in his RWD 95 accord

drifted?:tehehyper:

nrengle
08-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Vivid I have another name for you check your PM

VividSI
08-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks again.

Akeeg4
08-31-2008, 09:54 AM
any updates?

VividSI
09-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I filed a claim with the BBB and then a new guy from honda customer care called me and left me a message. After we get done playing phone tag for 2 weeks Ill see what he can do for me. One way or another I am not going to be stuck with this bill. Im going to give them one last chance to make this right then Ill take it to the next level.

si4life
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
NEVER BACK DOWN!!!

but seriously good luck man. keep us updated.

nrengle
09-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Did you have any luck with the names I gave you?

VividSI
09-12-2008, 01:52 PM
I was able to leave a voice mail with the last name you gave me but that was a week ago with no response. It seems now I have something pending with honda since i filed with the BBB.

nrengle
09-12-2008, 02:12 PM
DOH! Ok, well sometimes that threat of a bad rep will light a fire under peoples asses.

MaxBoost
09-12-2008, 02:50 PM
any updates on this story?? they can't void a warranty if they sell the wheels on the cars they sell.

hempzityshizzle
09-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I didnt get a warranty because I knew I would be modding mine and would have to deal with bullshit. Go to corp.