PDA

View Full Version : Concern on rear sway bar

epcivicboy08
08-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey guys

So I just installed a new ITR rear sway on my Ep over the weekend. So far I'm very impressed at how it's improved the handling on my car, and for the price I definately think its one of the best mods you can do to your car. Anyways...as i took it out for a first drive, I noticed that the my car is now a lot more "bouncy". It almost reminds me of my Evo and how it would just pick up any change in the pavement and it would be a bouncy ride.

I know I installed it correctly using the new bushings they provided and I made sure that it wasn't on backwards because I lined it up with the old sway bar just to make sure.

Is it suppose to be this way? Is it just a matter of the bar being "broken in"? I never thought that being an OEM part it would affect ride quality this much.

Would like to hear from people who have this part and what they've experienced.

BTW, my suspension and rims are all stock on my 02.

shanewdude
08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Did you tighten the bushings when the car was up on stand? It needs to be on the ground when you torque the bolts, or at least weight on the suspension.

epcivicboy08
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Did you tighten the bushings when the car was up on stand? It needs to be on the ground when you torque the bolts, or at least weight on the suspension.

i did torque the bolts while the car was up on the jack.
i'm gonna get under there again later this week and re-torque them.
thanks.

anyone else might have experienced something similar?

player757
08-04-2008, 08:10 PM
when i put my bar on the first drive was very odd feeling. im assuming things needed to settle into there natural spots. my car drives fine now. id say take it out a few more times see what you get. if you dont like it take it off and reinstall.

Drew1d
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I have an ITR rear sway bar on my car. But the only time I noticed that the wheels would follow the road is after I put on wider tires. I have stock springs, and 17x7 rims with low profile tires.

Are your shocks good?

epcivicboy08
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
when i put my bar on the first drive was very odd feeling. im assuming things needed to settle into there natural spots. my car drives fine now. id say take it out a few more times see what you get. if you dont like it take it off and reinstall.

yeah, i was thinking that since it's a brand new bar, that it needs time to break in and settle in to its natural position.

did you experience a very stiff ride while driving normal when you first installed it?

epcivicboy08
08-04-2008, 08:15 PM
I have an ITR rear sway bar on my car. But the only time I noticed that the wheels would follow the road is after I put on wider tires. I have stock springs, and 17x7 rims with low profile tires.

Are your shocks good?

yeah, they're fine. no sagging or excessive play when going over bumps.

just right now, its real stiff.

my car has 54k miles

BlownSi05
08-05-2008, 07:28 AM
i am going to do this in the next few months myself. when you put the bar in did you just connect the bar to the stock end links and just replace the bushings with the new ones?

mustclime
08-05-2008, 07:51 AM
bigger sways = a less independant suspension....

sways should be your last suspension mod anyway.....:mwink:

Zzyzx
08-05-2008, 08:34 AM
as mustclime said, bigger sways = a less independent suspension.

What you've done is tied the rear suspensions together more. So that any time one side compresses or extends it tries to transmit a portion of that motion to the spring on the other side (how much of the force is transmitted to the other side depends on the strength of the anti-roll bar.)

So in essence, any time one side compresses you will have added a portion of the spring rate from the side thats not compressing to the side that is....

I.e. you will feel certain types of bumps more, because you have essentially increased the spring rate of that side of the car