PDA

View Full Version : Lowering EP with less stress on Steering Rack

LvisDin
08-05-2008, 05:31 PM
My friend has told me that if you reverse the tie rod ends. It would create less stress when you lower your car because it would be less angled. All opinions open.

metalviper
08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
i don't have inverted tie rods and my cars lowered. it doesn't stress me out at all! don't worry be happy!

v1c10us
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
that could work but you'd have to do it with the car on the ground.

LvisDin
08-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Im on H&R and Im planning to lower it another inch or half.

pynikal
08-06-2008, 05:36 AM
just make sure you use a NEW cotter pin!!!!

ep3civic2nr
08-06-2008, 06:46 AM
the creeking isnt bad.. im dumped my subframe practically touches the ground and the creek was worse when i wasnt lowered this much. you can invert your oem tie rod ends my friend did it on his em2 with ep3 suspension and 5 lug. rides nice.

mustclime
08-06-2008, 07:07 AM
the creeking isnt bad.. im dumped my subframe practically touches the ground and the creek was worse when i wasnt lowered this much. you can invert your oem tie rod ends my friend did it on his em2 with ep3 suspension and 5 lug. rides nice.

You do know the the holes are tappered so the balljoint will only fit in one way? Back in the day, we would call your friend a N***** rigger.....I would suggest he get out of honda's and start working on fords.........:mangel:

LvisDin
08-06-2008, 12:16 PM
just make sure you use a NEW cotter pin!!!!

Why? What would happen if I use my old one?

Drew1d
08-06-2008, 01:42 PM
N***** rigger.....

Haven't heard that one in a while, then again, it was hard getting the '86 Buick Century running.

Not a racist thing, a lazy thing.

BTW, cotter pins are cheap, old ones will break after being twisted and rusted and then untwisted.

v1c10us
08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
so you mean the thing with threads on it is tapered too?
cause if its not then there is no reason why you couldnt put it in the bottom upside down.

metalviper
08-06-2008, 05:50 PM
not the threading but the above the threading, that is actually in the arm (stock position) is tapered to fit securely in the arm

pynikal
08-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Why? What would happen if I use my old one?

old cotter pins are weak and will break very easily. its cheap,and it would be a SOB if it broke on you.

v1c10us
08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
not the threading but the above the threading, that is actually in the arm (stock position) is tapered to fit securely in the arm

i just replaced one of my tie rod ends and didnt notice any of that.
they're really easy to check so I'll just take that nut off and flip it over tomorrow and see what all the fuss is about
I'll just have to remember which way i turned it so i dont mess up my toe.

metalviper
08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
its a small tapered edge right before the threading. the boot maybe covering it up when its off the arm

v1c10us
08-06-2008, 11:17 PM
wow i think we're thinking of totally different things
all i would do is turn the entire steering rack arm upsde down and stick it in from the bottom.
I dont think the ends were tapered, and i don think the hole on the strut is tapered, i may be wrong but i just replaced them and didnt notice anything drastic enough to prevent instalation.

metalviper
08-07-2008, 08:22 AM
heres a pic off civic forums (not the best pic). its right above the threading. it works the same way tuner lugs work but its not at all as agressively tapered
http://gametrax.net/springs/torn.jpg

maybe yours is somehow different but thats how my tie rod end looked. didnt bother to look inside the pitman arm

mustclime
08-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I recomend when people that "push" their cars chang shocks, they go to rsx shocks. The tie rod ends are like 5mm larger than the ep3. The ep3 uses the same tie rod ends as the 200 lb lighter em. If the thread starter is just looking for a dumped look and does not care much about how the car handles, get the magen rsx track coil overs. The magens have flat steering arms so a big drop will not bother the rack.:mangel:

Zzyzx
08-07-2008, 09:20 AM
wow i think we're thinking of totally different things
all i would do is turn the entire steering rack arm upsde down and stick it in from the bottom.
I dont think the ends were tapered, and i don think the hole on the strut is tapered, i may be wrong but i just replaced them and didnt notice anything drastic enough to prevent instalation.

The tie rods & mounting hole are tapered. Is done that way because tapering effectively locks the two parts together, creating a safe and Strong bond at such a critical joint.

Just flipping and installing counter this taper will yield a weak joint, due to a much smaller contact area between the two parts in question. So expect to need to replace the end link if not the strut sooner.

v1c10us
08-07-2008, 09:52 PM
interesting
well i have JDM Moog tie rod ends from advance auto parts
they say made in japan and everything and they were only 50 bucks! SCORE

civictype_r04
08-26-2008, 06:23 PM
that could work but you'd have to do it with the car on the ground.

Yup.