PDA

View Full Version : Waterhead / seriously

mikebigh
08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
After running the original AEM CAI(not the V2) since 2004, today I finally hydrolocked my motor. 113 k miles, fucker ran great too, its a shame. On a good note, I got really lucky. I did not break anything, I dont know how, but I cranked it figuring fuckit it, the damage is already done. It pumped a ton of water and steam out the exhaust, and I drove it home about 4 miles in what seems to be s limp mode of some sort. It wont rev over 4k. But no knocks, no smoke.......hows that for lucky? So, after work today im going to disconnect the battery while I drain and replace the oil. If the CEL shuts off and dont come back on, I am never getting rid of this car. If it does, I will need an A2 head to complete my A2 block, if anyone has one please PM me asap.

But yeah, worst part is I woke up and it just started to rain. 30 minutes later my whole town was under water on the way to work. So, I take the higher roads, with hills just to avoid to be where im at now. The water that locked me up wasnt even a puddle, it was deep sheeting water going down the hill I was going up. And now its sunny, and dry. Never had a problem before, but forgot im about 2.5 inches lower after the TEIN install. FUCK. Oh yeah.

Rep
08-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Check spark plugs.

Strife
08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I hydrolocked my old K20A3. You may want to invest in that K20A2 build a little faster. I hydrolocked my engine, did all the things you did and it seemed to run great. Then BAM! one day (at least three weeks later) I threw a rod.

kprocivic
08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
change the oil. change the oil. change the oil.

mikebigh
08-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Yeah, first thing im gonna do tonight is dump the oil, some new mobil 1 and a filter. Pull the plugs and see how bad they got. I just really wanted to see 300 k on an original motor once in my life, so I dissaopinted myself by being an idiot today. Although the devine forces seem to want a A2/turbo in my car. Im looking at it from that point of view.

A2 head is neede badly. Anyone know anyone with one, or have one, I will come get it from you Saturday.

mikebigh
08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
I hydrolocked my old K20A3. You may want to invest in that K20A2 build a little faster. I hydrolocked my engine, did all the things you did and it seemed to run great. Then BAM! one day (at least three weeks later) I threw a rod.

thats what im worried about. I have seen a a few motors, of all sorts, suck water. But never seen one recover. The fact that a rod is not broken now amazes me. Holly steamy exhaust though when I cranked it over to get home, lol.

mattism78
08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
That sucks man. Makes me want to go out and get a different intake. My car came with a CAI and no stocker unfortunately.

kprocivic
08-06-2008, 01:20 PM
thats what im worried about. I have seen a a few motors, of all sorts, suck water. But never seen one recover.

i have survived it twice.

EPSU3
08-06-2008, 02:17 PM
wow, that sucks. drive though a big puddle? go out and get yourself a k24 to celebrate 4 years with the a3

magmagik 1
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
That's sucks man. Your best bet now, would be crv bottom end with a2 head. Best bang for the buck if you ask me.

4angrybadgers
08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
As several people said, change that oil ASAP. Since it cranked over after it stalled, you probably didn't get enough water into the cylinders to cause any damage, so ignore the alarmists and just make sure the a3 is running fine. I sucked water into mine 16 months ago and she's still running fine. She was even supercharged for 8 of those months.

sleepyEP3
08-06-2008, 04:04 PM
If engine was hot when you got water into the motor, I would do a leakdown test. Valves don't like it when they are hot and get wet

socmex7
08-07-2008, 12:01 AM
good luck with the motor, i'm super careful with my CAI, if there's even a hint of rain i take it out (overkill) but if the devine power wants a swap for you can you really fight it? :mbiggrin:

civicSIracer
08-07-2008, 12:04 AM
damn man that sucks.. good luck with it..

on another note, just another beautiful sunny socal day today!

clujalolo
08-07-2008, 12:12 AM
if you really need a A2 head badly, search up, crsx forums, theres A TOONNN, they go for average 1000, even the ones from the newer Rsx type S ( forgot engine code, Z1 or Z3)?

27rocks
08-07-2008, 12:22 AM
That sucks really bad... i have a cai and never had any problems so far

mikebigh
08-07-2008, 08:01 AM
That sucks really bad... i have a cai and never had any problems so far

I never had problems either, but im much lower than the last rain storm I drove through, oops.

Anyway, I puled the plugs, dry on top but....water was in the oil, and I have developed a nice lower end knock, sounds like a rod isnt too straight anymore. I think I may do a burnout till it blows, ill post a link when I do.

Plans - move into new garage september 1st, until then im gonna source a k24 block, and an a2 head. Once I get the car to the new spot the tear down will begin.

Thanks for the support, questions will start 9/1/08.

ez dawgs!!

Rep
08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
And the CAI claims another victim.

dashehonda
08-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I have had problems all the time when i had my CAI on my old motor, it seemed to be fine for awhile after i took it off, but then i threw a rod bearing:mfrown:

I got the new motor, put the CAI on it, and sucked alittle water into that bitch like the 3rd week i had it in, i changed the oil 3 or 4 times, then sold the CAI:mwink:

Rasy
08-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Drove through a large puddle, car stalled and died. I started the car mid-water and it barely started again. Changed the oil day after and to this day it's ran fine.

I consider myself very lucky. (A3 here)

civictype_r04
08-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Sorry to hear that man.