PDA

View Full Version : Problem closing hood

bchaney
08-06-2008, 05:59 PM
So my jack slipped off the jack point the other day and must've bent the piece of the chassis that the hood latch is attached to. When I tried to close my hood there was a gap, although the hood was fully latched.

I tried adjusting the latch today but it was already at the extreme bottom. So I took it off and plan on extending the slots.

But... even with the hood latch entirely OFF, the hood still has a small gap in the front.

Any ideas?

trogdor48430
08-06-2008, 06:02 PM
hmm my car has the same problem since the day i got it wonder if previous owner did the same thing, hope someone answer cause i have the same problem

trogdor48430
08-07-2008, 05:22 PM
any one have any ideas?

bluedemonep3
08-07-2008, 06:01 PM
hmmm,im totally lost on this,bump for u

Tnhatch03
08-07-2008, 06:11 PM
you may have bent your lower radiator frame. it happened to my sister when jacking up the front of her car.

we took it to a shop and had them rebend it, instead of buying another frame, which came out cheaper.

bchaney
08-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I think I'll try to "rebend it" tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes trog.

Tnhatch03
08-07-2008, 09:22 PM

definately have them look at it. it may not be so simple as having it straightened out again. they may tell you it won't work.

good luck and let us know what happens.

trogdor48430
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM

yea let me know and pics of what is bend so i can look for it

ricardoachata
08-09-2008, 07:45 AM
lol, i cant beleive this can be true, because a week ago i thought i was the only one who had this problem, the jack also slip and messed up the part of the chasis that holds the radiator, hopefully no crack but the hood didnt close as it should, well what i did its took the radiator off aswell as the vents and the piece of metal that had the latch, i got a piece of wood and hammerd it against the piece of chasis i bent. just be carefull not to hit the condensor, hit it till you think its even (it wont be like stock even, i tried, but it works just fine). when you think its ok put everything again and check if the hood close. i hpe this helps, i had to do alot of stuff after that because i also bend the piece of metal that holds the latch and upper condensor brackets. just take your time if you want it right

bchaney
08-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Fixed it. I feel so much better this shit was driving me crazy.

I removed the latch and drilled two holes lower than the factory ones. Then I bolted the latch back on thru these holes. I left the bottom bolt out because I couldn't get the drill down there.

trogdor48430
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
lol i was just checkin thise and was goin to tell u i just did the same thing

phister
08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
i just got under my car and used a pry bar and rebent the lower radiator support was pretty quick and easy. Now I jack my car up from a different point in the front.

bchaney
08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
What point?

Tnhatch03
08-10-2008, 07:12 PM
so you ghetto rigged it?

bchaney
08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
No, I fixed it.

Tnhatch03
08-10-2008, 07:31 PM
I removed the latch and drilled two holes lower than the factory ones. Then I bolted the latch back on thru these holes. I left the bottom bolt out because I couldn't get the drill down there.

No, I fixed it.

:mconfused:

where i am sure that it will hold, that is what we here call ghetto rigged.:mbiggrin:

bchaney
08-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Maybe a little. Nuts and bolts are still better then duct tape and bubble gum.

It was the best alternative to taking it to a shop and paying lots of $ just cause my hood won't close. If it effected something else like the rad fan was hitting the block then I'd have no problem taking it to a professional.

EVOKIN
08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Did I read correctly? You guys jack it by the radiator? I didn't know the radiator support is a jack point.

bchaney
08-11-2008, 04:31 PM
The factory jack point is behind the rad support.

My jack slipped off the jack point and bent the rad support.

Twisted-X
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure about the '02s and '03s, but on my '05 the jacking point on the front subframe has a good half inch drop-down covered in plastic that fits right into the pocket on my floor jack. I've had the front end 3 feet off the ground with that jack and it never even thought about sliding out.

On the other hand, I should take pictures of what I did to my winter beater towing it home by the rad support. :mbiggrin: