PDA

View Full Version : Bushing and balljoint help

soncep
08-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Hello.
Well, I decided to take the plunge and replace bushings on my car for some urethane ones.

I started to take everything appart. I got to the ball joint connected to the LCA and used this video's trick to do the driver side.
YouTube - Honda painless ball joint removal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ)
Once i got that one done, i went to the passenger side but have yet to remove it. I noticed that the balljoint is loose so i will need to replace it.

Any one have suggestions as to how to remove the balljoint from the LCA first, and secondly, how to remove it form the wheel hub?

Next, i need to remove the bushings...
I cut the big one and the punched it out... Bitch but it worked.
Now i need to remove the one that is level to the ground.
Any suggestions?
I was gona do this, but i have a feeling it's not gona work.
YouTube - Rubber bushing removal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ5FkOoT5QE&feature=related)

Please let me know how if you ever did it and what technique you used.
Thanks
D

mustclime
08-07-2008, 06:42 AM
what a bunch of crap.........:tehehyper:

1) get this tool for your ball joints.....

http://www.nextag.com/norob/PtitleSeller.jsp?chnl=main&tag=640502845&ctx=Y%2B2IKbi%2BdbN0v0R%2FvPSsVBmJNy47R3BcO0ebh7DD Ir8YQAvYQ1VVnMFxvBzgP7pWIboIQ16F4cpa%0ApKejryJLcI8 562BdmdRbUmk6o6PsyyJawX6OfuqbeEtSUHyf0qKADfYlDlQCB r4auVRPXk0ll0at%0AhB%2FwfCJMAQBwPoKgiUo%3D&ptitle=511845493

there are a lot of cheap copys but they will brake.....trust me on this.

2) to remove the bushings I just used a drill to chew up the rubber in the bushings, then I knocked out the center sleeve and then used a fresh hacksaw blade to cut the sleeve in 2 places and knocked that out with a hammer and chisel.

soncep
08-07-2008, 07:48 AM
what a bunch of crap.........:tehehyper:

1) get this tool for your ball joints.....

http://www.nextag.com/norob/PtitleSeller.jsp?chnl=main&tag=640502845&ctx=Y%2B2IKbi%2BdbN0v0R%2FvPSsVBmJNy47R3BcO0ebh7DD Ir8YQAvYQ1VVnMFxvBzgP7pWIboIQ16F4cpa%0ApKejryJLcI8 562BdmdRbUmk6o6PsyyJawX6OfuqbeEtSUHyf0qKADfYlDlQCB r4auVRPXk0ll0at%0AhB%2FwfCJMAQBwPoKgiUo%3D&ptitle=511845493

there are a lot of cheap copys but they will brake.....trust me on this.

2) to remove the bushings I just used a drill to chew up the rubber in the bushings, then I knocked out the center sleeve and then used a fresh hacksaw blade to cut the sleeve in 2 places and knocked that out with a hammer and chisel.

Even for the small bushings? How do you drill in that small place?
I did the hack saw on the big bushing, but on the small ones?

mustclime
08-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Even for the small bushings? How do you drill in that small place?
I did the hack saw on the big bushing, but on the small ones?

small drill bits.........:mwink:

Have you really looked at your suspension? There is nothing that small, the ep3 is not a ek. 2700lb cars have big bushings.:mangel:

dichotomous
08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
small drill bits.........:mwink:

Have you really looked at your suspension? There is nothing that small, the ep3 is not a ek. 2700lb cars have big bushings.:mangel:

elky's have bigger.... lol, all the work done to my car is being done right next to an old el camino, the parts on that thing make modern superduty truck parts look fragile.....

Heitzke
08-07-2008, 01:13 PM
My dad and I just finished up the bushings on my car. We just tore out the big bushings in the front lca, and used a sawzall the cut the sleeve in a couple places and chiseled it out. The other bushings we just torched the hell out of the rubber and punched out the metal insert, and then sawzalled out the sleeve.

For the balljoint, I bought a couple of new boots and some grease so I just popped them off with a balljoint fork. Its totally destroys the boots, but gets the job done.

mustclime
08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
A sawall is good if you are carful.....I do not like using heat on suspension parts, change the heat treating and you are done.

Heitzke
08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
A sawall is good if you are carful.....I do not like using heat on suspension parts, change the heat treating and you are done.

Word, the torching was kind of a stressful situation. We covered the whole rear knuckle with wet rags, and used a sponge to dump water on it during the whole burning process. It was definitely the easiest way we found to get the bushings all done... minus the rear trailing arm.

How the hell do you take that rear trailing arm apart? We sadly just left the stock bushings in it because of time constraints, but how does it work?

soncep
08-07-2008, 07:28 PM
well, i finally finished the front.
Used the ratchet trick with the balljoint and tapped on the bolt... Came off well.
Used your drill and cut technique.
Took me 6hours to do the front. Seems stiffer but i am not sure. I need to replace the balljoint but i was not able to remove the nut that holds the cv shaft. Why is it so complicated a Honda? I though they were supposed be good cars.. So if i don't have any balljoint special tools, what are the chances that i get the balljoint out of the hub?

Next step is the rear bushings. Any clue how to pop out the shaft with the 2 screws on either side? I am guessing this will be a bitch.

Thanks again for the help.

PartyPooper
01-25-2011, 12:49 PM
well, i finally finished the front.
Used the ratchet trick with the balljoint and tapped on the bolt... Came off well.
Used your drill and cut technique.
Took me 6hours to do the front. Seems stiffer but i am not sure. I need to replace the balljoint but i was not able to remove the nut that holds the cv shaft. Why is it so complicated a Honda? I though they were supposed be good cars.. So if i don't have any balljoint special tools, what are the chances that i get the balljoint out of the hub?

Next step is the rear bushings. Any clue how to pop out the shaft with the 2 screws on either side? I am guessing this will be a bitch.

Thanks again for the help.

ive actually have ran into the same problem....i just decided to install my enrgy suspension bushings and installed them all but the big daddys..... here is a pic of the pita bushing mount that will not come apart....
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee54/ColleenJen/november%2006%20camping%20trip/photo.jpg

ShadowEP3
01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
bumpan for answer..im looking to replace my bushings in the near future

also:
i was looking into the Energy bushings kit but wondered if i should just wait and save up for the Mugen bushings instead..anyone have any input or can recommend any other type of bushings?

PartyPooper
01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
ive actually have ran into the same problem....i just decided to install my enrgy suspension bushings and installed them all but the big daddys..... here is a pic of the pita bushing mount that will not come apart....
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee54/ColleenJen/november%2006%20camping%20trip/photo.jpg

bump for answer.... i have tried brute force, torqing them back and forth but nothing.... not even a budge.... please im going to try and do this tomorrow....

PartyPooper
01-25-2011, 08:48 PM
ah help...

VIZHUNZ02SI
01-26-2011, 09:18 AM
i did energy suspension master kit on my ep and i will say it is a pain the rear i took a look at and i will not make the attemp to do it there is a metal sleave the you have to remove when the oil bushing it out

VIZHUNZ02SI
01-26-2011, 09:20 AM
bump for answer.... i have tried brute force, torqing them back and forth but nothing.... not even a budge.... please im going to try and do this tomorrow....

blow torch the rubber

PartyPooper
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
blow torch the rubber

it is not the bushing that i have a problem with it is the two brakets covering it on each side. ...

PartyPooper
01-26-2011, 08:51 PM
bump for answer...

VIZHUNZ02SI
01-27-2011, 10:09 AM
if i remember correctly you dont touch that.

Drew1d
01-27-2011, 11:05 AM
- Soak with Liquid Wrench. Wait a bit. (like 30 min)
- You MUST have good sockets or wrenches, otherwise it'll strip.

If you have an air wrench, well that's the solution, but I'm going to assume you don't.
First tap on said bolt with a hammer. (Hard enough that you would make a dents in a wooden table.)
With a quality box end wrench, hold it on using a rag in your hand close to the bolt. Bash the other end of the wrench

You ruin the wrench, but it should work. They do have striking wrenches, but they are expensive. So a good $8-$14 ruined wrench. Or $60 striking wrench, or $120 electric Impact wrench.

PartyPooper
01-31-2011, 09:11 PM
thanks for the help... but it is not the bolts that will not come off... i can get the bolts off it is the two(or one ) braket that keep the bushings from coming off.

how ever thanks alot for the response tho...

lordhelmet
02-01-2011, 01:18 AM
I did the master bushing kit on my ES1. I tried torching the bushing on the first trailing arm and twisting using two big crescent wrenches. Then while bbqing pork chops I decided to throw the trailing arm on the grill when I was done. Afterwords I threw one end of the bracket in a vice and twisted the hell out of the other side with a crescent wrench. This worked in separating one side from the other. The bushing consists of 3 pieces. One is a hollow tube in which the other two are pressed into.

The second attempt at the other trailing arm went a lot smoother. Bbq the bushing for as long as possible. This will allow you to see the sleeve inside the bushing and hit it with a torch when you are twisting. Do not hit the piece you are twisting on or it will heat up too making it difficult to twist. Whatever you do, do not clamp down towards the ends of the brackets or you will bend them.

Drew1d
02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
thanks for the help... but it is not the bolts that will not come off... i can get the bolts off it is the two(or one ) braket that keep the bushings from coming off.

Oops. When I do mine, I figured if I clamped the tab in a bench vice I could twist it off, but that's theoretical at the moment. Good luck dude.

Blue03Si
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM

The way I did it was with help.... Put one end in a bench vice and put a tow strap hook onto the other end. I had a buddy pull on the tow strap with all their power while i used an adjustable wrench to twist the end not in the vice until it poped out. Once one side is out you need to burn out the bushing to free the sleve and the oposite side. Do not put a bar or screw drive into the hole to try and twist it... you'll deform the hole.

PartyPooper
02-03-2011, 08:09 PM
The way I did it was with help.... Put one end in a bench vice and put a tow strap hook onto the other end. I had a buddy pull on the tow strap with all their power while i used an adjustable wrench to twist the end not in the vice until it poped out. Once one side is out you need to burn out the bushing to free the sleve and the oposite side. Do not put a bar or screw drive into the hole to try and twist it... you'll deform the hole.

thanks this is what i have been looking for....just to clear somethings up/// so you actually put the whole trailing arm on the bench vice???? also does it just pulll apart or do you unscrew it apart???? also how did you rig the tow strap???

thanks alot this is the last piece to the puzzle...

Blue03Si
02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
thanks this is what i have been looking for....just to clear somethings up/// so you actually put the whole trailing arm on the bench vice???? also does it just pulll apart or do you unscrew it apart???? also how did you rig the tow strap???

thanks alot this is the last piece to the puzzle...

To clarify a little the bushing has the two mounting points that you have circled in red in this picture.

What I did is I but the trailing arm so that the back tab was in the bench vise with the arm resting on the bench. The other end I just put the hook off of my tow strap in the bolt hole for and had my buddy just pull as hard as he could while bracing himself on the bench. Then with a adj wrench i twisted the side he was pulling on to try and help work it out. The pieces are press fit into a sleeve and you need to take care not to damage anything, because you can't buy replacement parts. Honda only sells the entire arm.