PDA

View Full Version : JDM or reconditioned bumper

slo_k20
08-07-2008, 05:58 AM
well my bumper is pretty messed up and its time for a new one. my options are:
a= send the bumper to keystone and have it reconditioned for $176.00, comes back primered ready for paint. my body shop estimated 250 for paint which i think is ridiculous. i can go to another shop after i get the bumper. i was also thinking of noting to keystone to fill in my bumper lights.

b= SSM JDM yO! but $535.00 :mredface:
plus i would have to then get the lip..

what would you do?

jaeguyoon
08-07-2008, 06:01 AM
if u care more about having money for other things than recondition it.

but if u have the money, go for jdm, and use ur current bumper as winter bumper or road trip bumper.

slo_k20
08-07-2008, 06:07 AM
I think the reconditioned option was just ruled out, because majestic honda wants $177.47 for a brand new bumper shipped.

nizmoluvep3
08-07-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm in the same boat, I bought all my jdm because my front was chipped to hell but now I wanna stay usdm for the stk clean look- majestic honda might be a option for a new front but now I gotta get rid of all this jdm!!! BTW- I'm ssm so look out for a FS thread...

RedSiBaron
08-07-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm in the same boat, I bought all my jdm because my front was chipped to hell but now I wanna stay usdm for the stk clean look- majestic honda might be a option for a new front but now I gotta get rid of all this jdm!!! BTW- I'm ssm so look out for a FS thread...

majestic wont ship large items...

fyi

slo_k20
08-07-2008, 06:51 AM

fyi

Really... why don't they say that in checkout?

RedSiBaron
08-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Really... why don't they say that in checkout?

no clue, but they wont do it, thats what they said when i wanted to buy a door from them for the ep...call them up and theyll tell you

slo_k20
08-07-2008, 07:05 AM
ROAD TRIP TO MAJESTIC HONDA! it's only 260 miles :mrolleyes:

RedSiBaron
08-07-2008, 07:27 AM

closer than for me in Ohio...i may be living in RI in winter...so that could work out :mangel:

slo_k20
08-07-2008, 07:38 AM
I think i'm gonna have them recondition my bumper. 176 plus paint isnt that bad.

RedSiBaron
08-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I think i'm gonna have them recondition my bumper. 176 plus paint isnt that bad.

if thats the bumper you want then its a good price IMO :mbiggrin:

just remember to be nice to it for the 3 months after its repainted...no waxing, no rubbing, just soft wash

nizmoluvep3
08-07-2008, 07:49 AM

fyi

damn- joykill!!! I was already plotting on my next mod after i sell my stuff- maybe ill chk out a local dealership- oh well, thanks for the info

slo_k20
08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
if thats the bumper you want then its a good price IMO :mbiggrin:

just remember to be nice to it for the 3 months after its repainted...no waxing, no rubbing, just soft wash

I better stick with USDM... I know I would throw a fit if I got a paint chip or scratch on a JDM bumper. And wow I didn't know that about the waxing thing, I'm pretty sure I waxed my car a month after the whole thing was resprayed :smash:

RedSiBaron
08-08-2008, 01:06 AM
I better stick with USDM... I know I would throw a fit if I got a paint chip or scratch on a JDM bumper. And wow I didn't know that about the waxing thing, I'm pretty sure I waxed my car a month after the whole thing was resprayed :smash:

its cool, ive just learned the hard way when i started working on cars at 15, and good body shops would tell you not to touch the paint with any products for 3 months...some paints and some shops will let a car sit for 6 months to a year if its an expensive resto or something...my friend from highschool's family owns and runs a vintage porsche restoration shop dealing with 1970 and before porsches...once they did this 1 of 2 existing carrera and they had it sit for like a year indoors to make sure the paint properly cured.

...ive never had to wait more than 3 months though haha

BaLisTek
08-08-2008, 01:56 AM
baking a car eliminates the need for such a wait

ep3moschini
08-08-2008, 04:23 AM

I win im only 26miles from majestic! :mredface: and I will ship. . . for a chunk of change

RedSiBaron
08-10-2008, 01:36 PM
baking a car eliminates the need for such a wait

ive heard a lot of bad things about baking paint...i wouldnt suggest it

JDMtunerEP3
08-10-2008, 05:47 PM
To be honest with you bro i wouldn't deal with keystone at all! I paint and prep and i have trouble with they're recons all the time. I'd say half the bumpers i see from them have problems. Realistically you are better off going OEM every time! It's worth the extra loot.

As far as waxing or buffing the bumper after it gets painted as long as it's been baked and has sat for 72 hours it's fully cured! The only reason that people have problems with chipping so soon afterward is mostly due to poor prep or improper painting technique. I have cars come out of cure mode and within 30 minutes can wet sand and buff them and have absolutely no problems at all!

Good luck and let me know how it turns out bro!

slo_k20
08-10-2008, 06:55 PM
To be honest with you bro i wouldn't deal with keystone at all! I paint and prep and i have trouble with they're recons all the time. I'd say half the bumpers i see from them have problems. Realistically you are better off going OEM every time! It's worth the extra loot.

As far as waxing or buffing the bumper after it gets painted as long as it's been baked and has sat for 72 hours it's fully cured! The only reason that people have problems with chipping so soon afterward is mostly due to poor prep or improper painting technique. I have cars come out of cure mode and within 30 minutes can wet sand and buff them and have absolutely no problems at all!

Good luck and let me know how it turns out bro!

what kind of problems do the reconditioned bumpers have? my current bumper is a keystone recondition and its been holding up well for 9 months.

JDMtunerEP3
08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Well they are hit or miss really.

The primer that keystone uses has a tendency to show prior damage before recon after a while but as long as it was done right by who ever painted it than it should hold up nice!

If yours turned out well than congrats!

civictype_r04
08-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I say JDM yo!

v1c10us
08-14-2008, 07:30 PM
no clue, but they wont do it, thats what they said when i wanted to buy a door from them for the ep...call them up and theyll tell you

a door is freight
a bumper can be sent via UPS or fed ex or a courier company, so he should be good
edit:
you arent supposed to wax a painted car for quite some time, i blieve its either 3 or 6 months
Polishing a car or buffing it on the other hand is fine.

moso
08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
i say go jdm its worth the extra money plus it will look hella sweet my front bumper is kind of messed up has some chips and the bottom grill has been cut off so my jdm bumper is already ordered will b here at sep 10 =]] and my oem bumper will go on sell with the fogs if anyone is interested

slo_k20
08-18-2008, 09:24 PM
i say go jdm its worth the extra money plus it will look hella sweet my front bumper is kind of messed up has some chips and the bottom grill has been cut off so my jdm bumper is already ordered will b here at sep 10 =]] and my oem bumper will go on sell with the fogs if anyone is interested

I think i'm just going to get another USDM bumper.. because as a daily driver the bumper will get rock chips scratches and the like.. especially with an added lip. As far as exterior body mods go i'm gonna try to keep it looking stock, maybe some 04-05 OEM sideskirts but that's it. I know I would get super pissed if anything ever happened to a JDM bumper, whereas I wouldn't care as much with a cheaper run of the mill USDM bumper.