PDA

View Full Version : mobile subwoofer setup

revelations
08-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Sort of an odd question, but has anyone installed a subwoofer in an EP3 thats portable enough to be moved around (or removed completely) to accomodate the transport of larger items (isnt that why we have hatchbacks :p ).

I dont want to lose my (mini) spare tire either so that space isnt really available - unless there is a way to keep the tire?

edit - just saw the thread about the elaborate sparetire sub setup, I'm not going to go that far, unless there is a quicker way to go about it.

RON
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
I DID! I would disconnet my sub wires (+/-). Take the box out. The amp stayed! My amp is really small, and was bolt to the back seat with all the wires tied down real neatly in a nice loom under the carpet. I had a rockford amp and when I put the sides on you didn't see a single wire; other than the one speaker wire that came out on floor on the side where my speaker was.

So if i needed my hatch i just pulled the sub and flipped my amp switch so the amp wouldn't turn on (just a switch in the middle of the remote line).

revelations
08-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I DID! I would disconnet my sub wires (+/-). Take the box out. The amp stayed! My amp is really small, and was bolt to the back seat with all the wires tied down real neatly in a nice loom under the carpet. I had a rockford amp and when I put the sides on you didn't see a single wire; other than the one speaker wire that came out on floor on the side where my speaker was.

So if i needed my hatch i just pulled the sub and flipped my amp switch so the amp wouldn't turn on (just a switch in the middle of the remote line).

How did you have the sub stay in place when it was in the car, straps of somekind?

RON
08-07-2008, 01:27 PM
How did you have the sub stay in place when it was in the car, straps of somekind?

My box and sub weighed 40 + pounds. I didn't need anything but i had velcrow (i suck at spelling).

powdbyrice
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
i just unhook the wires and pull the box out of the hatch. i have a 12" sub in a 1 cubic foot box, so its still portable. the box is heavy enough that it stays put most of the time, unless i take turns agressively. even then, it only slides half way across the back

my amp is small enough that i was able to mount it under the front seat, so you can't see anything if the back seats are down.

Gargola
08-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Sort of an odd question, but has anyone installed a subwoofer in an EP3 thats portable enough to be moved around (or removed completely) to accomodate the transport of larger items (isnt that why we have hatchbacks :p ).

I dont want to lose my (mini) spare tire either so that space isnt really available - unless there is a way to keep the tire?

edit - just saw the thread about the elaborate sparetire sub setup, I'm not going to go that far, unless there is a quicker way to go about it.

I placed the amp under my seat, placed "banana" plug female connectors in the strut cover, and hid the wiring.

My subs detach with a "banana" plug that way I don't have to worry about loose or shorting wires.

Didn't take too long and the "banana" plugs are cheap.

As far as the sub, its heavy enough and stays in place.

mattism78
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
I've seen guys that use cam-locks to hold a box into place. Only thing is you have to design a receiver for the lock to fit into. I talked to a guy that lived in the ghetto and he said he made his so he could take it out every night.

SiN05
08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
banana clips are the way to go for easy connectivity. I didn't think a sub was that hard to remove even though it is heavy if your looking for something lighter and a 2 in 1 package try infinity basslink or riggin up a rsx bose spare tire sub and keep the hatch and the tire all the time.

Chad
08-08-2008, 06:52 AM
For the disconnect one could use the Neutrik NL4 line, it's a 4 pole twist lock, run the speaker on pin group1, on pin group2 wire as follows 2+ remote in from the head unit 2- remote out to the amp, in the box (NL4MPR) wire pin group 1 to the sub and short pin group 2- and 2+ together, when the sub is plugged in the remote is allowed to flow to the amp, when it is un-plugged the remote feed is broken. The wifey-mobile is wired this way, it's stupid-proof and sure-fire.

Strap the enclosure down no matter how heavy it is, The heavier it is the harder it will hit you when you run into something, more force, newton's law.

revelations
08-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Ideally, it would be nice to have a slim sub that fits in the spare tire area.... or a cylindrical sub that can be stashed on the passenger seat footwell area temporarily.

Chazwick05
08-08-2008, 07:37 AM
a similar setup to someone above, i have my amp attached to the back of the rear driver's side seat, the "40" portion of the 60/40 split. my sub is a 12" in a 1cubic foot sealed box, so it's easy to take out. i bought four brass corner pieces, like you would see protecting bottoms of doors and whatnot, and had the sub sit in them.

this way, the sub doesn't slide around, and is still removable. i realllllllly want to do a stealth box though.

Chad
08-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Ideally, it would be nice to have a slim sub that fits in the spare tire area.... or a cylindrical sub that can be stashed on the passenger seat footwell area temporarily.

Are you handy wiht teh toolz?

xplicitACTS
08-11-2008, 08:02 AM
I would raise the cargo floor up a few inches......this would keep the amplifier off of the back seat and avoiding Mr. Tacky. After raising the floor up the amplifier could be mounted upside down over the spare tire....somesort of venting may be deisred if amplifier gets warm. From this point you can do a simple Square/rectangle MDf box and cover it to match or you can fiberglass/Mold the enclosure into the side using something oh so simple as velcro to help hold it in the given area until ready for removal.....you guys swap motors, car audio fabrication is merely child play compared to that. I am actually in the process of picking up an EP......and from there may make a few glass-side enclosures....for those in need......:gheyf:

underOATH
08-11-2008, 03:02 PM

I have little L brackets that are screwed into the floor panel, but not into the sub. My sub weighs like 40 pounds, so the L brackets are fine for holding into place...

When I haul stuff, I just disconnect the +/- terminals and remove the sub!

wizDUMB
08-11-2008, 11:39 PM
i'm rocking the pre-amp bazooka subs ... small, light and can to taken out at anytime with the quickness