PDA

View Full Version : adhesive after debadging won't completely come off!

vboy127
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
ok, so i dbadged the civic emblem off the back of my NHBP. i followed the debadging DIY in the DIY section. I used floss/fishing line, a plastic card, a blow dryer, and goo gone as suggested. after i took the emblem off, there was a ton of the gray adhesive left. i was able to get almost all of it off with goo gone, the card and the blowdryer.

But heres my problem, there is still a really thin outline "CIVIC" of adhesive. i've tried so many times to get rid of this. i've applied goo gone multiple times, each time leaving it there for a bit for the solution to work. i've tried scraping it with the card too. i'm scared ill cause damage to the area if i keep trying.

i admit, i'm a perfectionist. i wanted to totally debadge the civic sign, but now i have this slight outline and it's buggin. from a distance you cant see it at all, but from about 2 feet or closer it's completely visible. any suggestions on how to get rid of this pesky adhesive?? :mcry:

cantonep3
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Goo be Gone. Our high speed buffing... Also use a hair dryer heat up the glue then use the goo gone. Once you get it off need to wax the hatch

oogy-boogy
08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Try the goo gone again. Just use a terry towel with it.

Tnhatch03
08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
a SMALL amount of paint thinner on a rag/towel and circular motion will remove it too.

oogy-boogy
08-07-2008, 01:27 PM
a small amount of paint thinner on a rag/towel and circular motion will remove it too.

yikes!

Tnhatch03
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
that is how i removed mine and had no issues. :i dunno:

gettheledout
08-07-2008, 01:32 PM
2nd that, paint thinner is great to use for that or road tar:tsk:

Tnhatch03
08-07-2008, 01:35 PM
now i know your crazy.

lol

Tortoise
08-07-2008, 01:40 PM
i had this same problem on my lexus.Try 3m all purpose adhesive remover that shit worka real good. i had to scrub it with remover like 3or 4 times to get it completely gone. there was still a tiny outline and i waxed it and it looked like it was never there.

smoody
08-07-2008, 01:52 PM
are you sure it is adhensive? you should rub your finger nail through the area and see if it's adhensive or an indention of the civic outline. I have this same problem but when I slide my finger nail over the outline it dips in instead of a lump. if that makes any sense

cantonep3
08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
hell if your gonna use paint thinner than go for the aircraft remover. It will get it nice and smooth down to the metal.

No paint thinner.

shanewdude
08-07-2008, 01:56 PM
What about a clay bar or polishing compound?

bchaney
08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Mine looked the same way when I removed it originally. I think it's because the paint under the emblem hasn't experienced the sun/weather that the surrounding paint has.

Mine isn't visable anymore. It's been ~9 months.

Tnhatch03
08-07-2008, 01:59 PM
hell if your gonna use paint thinner than go for the aircraft remover. It will get it nice and smooth down to the metal.

No paint thinner.

again, i used it on my EP and there is no fading/chipping/metal/oxidation/etc. from where i used it 3 years ago.

just another alternative because goo gone did not work too great for me.

mattism78
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
I use Goof Off, it's sold at Walmart. I've had much more success with it than goo gone. It's stronger.

Also keep in mind depending on how much direct sunlight your car gets there could be a ghost from the badge.

RHCP0801
08-07-2008, 03:18 PM
use denatured alcohol, you can pick it up at any home depot or lowes....works great and better than goo gone

bizarroxxx
08-07-2008, 04:16 PM
again, i used it on my EP and there is no fading/chipping/metal/oxidation/etc. from where i used it 3 years ago.

just another alternative because goo gone did not work too great for me.

Paint thinner is fine.:mwink::mwink: