PDA

View Full Version : Non-Car Audio Questions MTX Loud Speakers

EricP3
08-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I purchased 4 MTX TP112 loud speakers.

http://www.mtxhome.com/p/i/tp112.jpg

I got a pretty good deal on them, 300$ shipped for all 4. My buddy got the receiver, He got an Onkyo around 200$. My question is before we move into our house (college) is it ok to run these off of my Samsung home theatre receiver. I just want to see how they sound/break them in. It is killing me just having them sit here. The home theatre setup is an HT-x40 5.1 with 800 watts. It should be alright to plug these speakers into just to break them in right?

Fish
08-08-2008, 03:34 PM
As long as the RMS output of the receiver isn't greater than the RMS of the speakers then you're fine.

dj addicted
08-08-2008, 06:41 PM
also look at the ohm rating of the speaker and the ohm rating of the receiver.

btw.. are you trying to piss off the neighbors?

03Ep3617
08-09-2008, 11:32 AM
As long as the RMS output of the receiver isn't greater than the RMS of the speakers then you're fine.

Yup, but at the same time i know those are high wattage, u gonna fry the Samsung receiver.

Is the onkyo receiver 5.1 if so get a separate woofer for optimum sound for music or movies.

Always upgrade the speaker wire n buy a subwoofer specific wire "If the onkyo has all the proper inputs"

james04si
08-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Yup, but at the same time i know those are high wattage, u gonna fry the Samsung receiver.

Please explain your theory on this. As long as you dont ignore ohm rating the receiver only outputs what it is capable of. Just because a speaker can take more power doesnt mean the amp or receiver will output more unless it is run at a lower ohm rating that it is rated for. Most home audio receivers are made for 4-8 ohms and honestly can run anything higher such as 16ohms but with higher ohms it produces less power. anything less like 2 ohms or 1 ohm it is running out of spec and is trying to produce more power than it is capable of which will damage/fry it. Follow the wiring rules and you will have no problems. just dont try to crank it to distortion levels which will cause issues with your new speakers.

Fish
08-09-2008, 03:50 PM

Is the onkyo receiver 5.1 if so get a separate woofer for optimum sound for music or movies.

Always upgrade the speaker wire n buy a subwoofer specific wire "If the onkyo has all the proper inputs"
This statement is incorrect, speakers can't blow receivers.

03Ep3617
08-10-2008, 03:07 AM
This statement is incorrect, speakers can't blow receivers.

Like mentioned before, i forgot to add if the ohms do not match up u deff would damage a receiver or speakers.