PDA

View Full Version : What do you like or dislike about your Si?

ep pilot
11-24-2002, 04:41 PM
What do you like most about your EP, What would you have wished Honda motors (UK) to have changed about it's overall performance, ergonomics, styling etc....

I love my (ep) but now that I have put a few road miles on the car, and become accustom to where everything is and how it all works, I've had some time to criticize and praise the car.

First off, I have to give Honda two thumbs up for the superbly sculpted seat, I have yet to spend any driving time in a seat this supportive and highly bolstered, the seats alone inspire spirited driving at all times. In contrast I find my lower back fatigued, when the seating position is set at anything less than adjusted for extreme driving purposes, i.e. straight up. The rich looking suede and cloth combination reveals a race-oriented atmosphere about the cabin without being too stark. Visibility is adequate from the front, yet being 5

Surprise
11-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Damn dude, if you had half of everything that you wanted the car would be as slow as a Metro and the cost of a Benz

ep pilot
11-24-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Surprise
Damn dude, if you had half of everything that you wanted the car would be as slow as a Metro and the cost of a Benz

Going with your statement, I imagine that with all of the above fully optioned, there might be an additional 85-100 lbs added to the cars curb weight.

And I don't think that many Honda gurus would bark much about spending the same money for let say as a new M/B C230 Kompressor coupe, and your getting about the same space, more driver oriented, and quicker car. Hell I would be content with at least the addition of LSD. or something similar to what the outgoing Prelude SH incorporated.

-Ryan

2k2_nbp_egg
11-24-2002, 06:29 PM
Damn man!! Thats one hell of a list. However, i noticed that you didn't include anything different for the performance...I guess my overall reaction to my car currently is a fairly decent thumbs up. But i do feel like i got dicked on by honda when it comes to certain things and decisions they made. I find it retarded that we get the same engine as the base RSX...Sis are supposed to be above the base integra man. Oh well, i realize that honda would end up loosing type S sales, but they could have at least put...idunno, a modified k24 into our cars. 180hp/180tq would be proper, not 160/130.

The interior is comfterable, roomy, and subtle. It's not cheap looking, rather unique, and almost worth the money. A couple of things that ep pilot mentioned would be very nice, but thats wayyy too many options man...Sis are usually fully loaded civics, key word is civic. Not audi A4, Bimmer 330, or Benz C class. F1 style shifting / SMG and leather this power that is gonna cost a lil more than what we paid. But a couple interior trimmings would be nice.

I agreed w/ the LSD tho, thats a major complaint of mine. The stock bitch rim/tire combo, the weaksauce system, and maybe something about the weight needs to be dealt with. The shifting is kind of tricky, especially 3-4 upshifts. A stock short shifter option would be great, and a different boot to accompany the leather shifter, instead of that plastic pyramid-turd deal. There is a little body roll, but the handling is not nearly as bad as alot of jackasses make it out to be. It's like they hear somewhere that because some 02 si w/ stock tires and a bad driver does bad on a road course, or read some mag that our cars handle like shit. I'm actually satisfied w/ the handling, and it will only get alot better w/ a rear sway bar / stickier tires/ a drop.

Oh well, after seeing the problems that my friends have gone through w/ their cars at the mileage im at, i feel confident that my car is reliable. But then again, only time can tell, and with the more miles i get, i also realize that my car gets noticeably faster. After 5k it's already opened up ALOT. All in all, i'm satisfied w/ my purchase.

SiR Medic
11-24-2002, 06:49 PM
Heated Front Seats?

C'mon man... All this crap you propose would be nice but it would increase the weight and cost of the car. I seriously considered Leasing a Benz C230K instead of the buying the SiR. I would have gotten all that extra stuff, but I realised that I didn't need or want any of it... Hell if I could, I would have got the SiR without the sunroof.

You say that all this would weigh about 100-200 lbs. That can have a huge difference in a 2700lbs car.

Part of what appeals about the SiR is performance. If you prefer luxury to performance, I suggest you get a loaded 4-banger Accord. Or if you lived in Canada you could get an Acura 1.7EL, which is basically a 4dr civic with woodgrain and power leather seats.

Would I add to the Civic SiR? Damn skippy I would! 17" rims and a 6-speed tranny would be nice. But I am gonna buy the rims soon enough and I can live with just 5 gears for now.

BTW... Canadian models come with side mirror defoggers standard:p

K20A3
11-24-2002, 07:21 PM
Si should have at least 16" wheels on it.
Would like to have:
1. An additional 12V accessory outlet, put it in the unused plug to the right of the shifter.
2. Cargo hooks to secure items in the hatch area and a standard cargo net.
3. An armrest.
4. Better audio system with standard subwoofer. Hell, even the Sentra has better stereo.
5. Standard foglights.

Dunrick
11-24-2002, 07:38 PM
This is what it needs.

1. 170 hp stock
2. 16" wheels
3. lsd would be nice....
4. Lighter
5. smaller wheelbase....I hate how our car and the rsx's have such big wheelbase, you need 18's now to make it look full.
6. little bit lower stock.

17's look good w/ a nice 2" drop......LSD we can get aftermarket....and these things react nice to mods so far...so we'll get more power down the road. I just want to be able to get into the 13's

ep pilot
11-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Wow did not mean to get everyone wound up, I just mentioned a few items that I would have liked to have seen show up on our cars. Great hatchbacks from around the world some of which have inspired me to buy the Ep. Cars like the Peugeot 307, VW GTI, Renault Clio, Audi S3 have many of the features I have listed above, they don

2fast
11-24-2002, 08:16 PM
I wish our car was a little littler like the old civic hatchbacks. We have to much head room also. I am 6' tall and I feel like I can grow a foot and still beable to sit comfortable.

fyzm7357
11-24-2002, 09:04 PM
I'm very content with my Si....the only gripe I have is that there is no damn center console....my arm gets tired after a while on long trips.

Also dislike the location of the Cruise Control button.

Power folding mirrors would also be nice though...

Forgot to mention what I liked about it....love the seats, shifter location....gauges.....and overall styling of the car.

Surprise
11-24-2002, 09:15 PM
Hey guys it is alright because when Honda starts producing the old hatchbacks it will have ALL the functions that you want including factory NOS, a Turbo and Wings West bodykit factory. I can't wait till they start producing the 91 Civic Si's and then maybe I will buy my new Datsun 510.

;) ;)

redronin22
11-24-2002, 09:32 PM
SI WISH LIST

Civic SI
K-20a 2.0 liter
195 hp @ 7800 rpm
152 Lb Ft @ 5000 rpm
Weight 2508
5 lug 17

2k2civicSi
11-24-2002, 09:41 PM
first off its neon srt and there is not supercharged focus from the factory

IceD out N CALI
11-24-2002, 09:47 PM
overall i like everything, but it could always be faster

ULTRAMANIA
11-24-2002, 10:03 PM
i like my ep.. but.. the only thing that comes into my mind that i REALLY dislike is that our ECU or rev limiter is so low... our engines get better from the last si, but our rev limiter goes down... mmmmmm... but on the flip side to that, our final drive on our cars is significanlty better the previous si.. soo mmm.. i guess i'm pretty satisfied with our car then.. heh.. nm!

HeelToePro
11-25-2002, 12:28 AM
I think I said this before but I would like it if the coin bin under the left cup holder would be designed so it would be easier to get change out. Everytime I grab and pull change my fist gets stuck.

02SilverSiHB
11-25-2002, 05:11 AM
no complaints here, I knew this car wasn't going to be super fast, so it's not a big deal to me there are other cars out there that are going to be turboed, etc. I payed 16,700 for mine. If I want to turbo the damn thing, it'll still be cheaper than the other cars coming out

RocketHatch
11-25-2002, 06:55 AM
Civic's were not even close to being fast cars in the US until the 99 Si. Civic's got fast when someone decided that a B18 would fit in it. Our cars are on the top of the civic food chain as far production civics. The B16 guys think they are but we have 2.0 liters what do you think will be faster in the long run. I love my car but I didn't buy it to be fast right away I bought it because it a great car and I love Hondas. When the after market catches up the only problems you guys will have is decided which products to buy.

ssvr6
11-25-2002, 07:03 AM
I'm completely happy and content with this car. No complaints.

Steve

atl-si
11-25-2002, 07:08 AM
Overall, the EP is a great car! However, it could of came with JRSC or a factory turbo kit. But oh well, I love it anyways.:cool:

BarracksSi
11-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Faster motor? Hmm, well, I can trick it out the way I want...

Better stereo? .... I can choose what I want it to sound like, and not waste some factory system that missed the mark...

Nicer wheels & tires? I'll pick my own if I ever decide to get some...

Momo and Recaro logos all over the place? Nah.. they're already Recaro seats and Momo steering wheels anyway, right?

Power folding mirrors? What the heck is that? Folding mirrors are meant to protect pedestrians. Don't believe that crap I've heard about squeezing into stupidly tight parking spaces.

I really dig my EP. It's a clean slate -- all the fundamentals are there. Thing is, I really like it the way it is now!

aman
11-26-2002, 01:31 AM
Bigger wheels
Bigger rear spoiler
Folding side mirrors
Express-open sun roof

BarracksSi
11-26-2002, 05:11 PM
The side mirrors DO fold. Try it.

jaydub
11-26-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
I'm completely happy and content with this car. No complaints.

Steve Ditto. On a side note, don't we deal with this topic once a week now? :D

LordKoo
11-26-2002, 10:27 PM
Hahahaha... Dream on!

Jared
11-26-2002, 11:17 PM
I like the car very well. My wife drives a 1998 GSR with 17's. I like the B18, but I like the K20 better. I would like to see 180 hp and 8000 rpm, but oh well. I would really like the six speed with a more highway friendly sixth. I got better mileage with my 1996 Impreza 2.2 with AWD. I got 36 MPG @70 mph, I get 30 with the Honda. That bugs me, not on a cost level, but a technical level.
I look forward to puting 215/45/17 Toyo FZ4's on Revo's. THe struts I find under damped for bumpy roads, this could upset the car in a bad corner. Brakes from the RSX would be nice, too. Due to the stiff chassis, I couldn't ask Honda to put it on a diet, but a 2500 lb Civic would be nice.
I have heard many complain about the lack of an LSD, but in the rain country that I drive in, it hasn't bothered me a ton. I, however would have gladly paid extra as an option.
As for REAL fun, a supercharged K24 with an RSX type S head and custom fueling be great. Oh screw it, I want a JDM Type R!

Jared

Hondatech
11-26-2002, 11:18 PM
The beauty of owning a Honda, is that the aftermarket will allow us to take care of any "shortcomings" we precieve on our cars. Want an LSD? Quaife will make one. Bigger wheels and tires? Duh. Lower? Lots of springs already available. Power? Jackson Racing blower, GReddy and HKS turbos, K24/K20A2 head "Big Thumper". Tweek and play, I say :D

Frankly, I'm AMAZED at the amount of aftermarket support our 7-8 month old car has already. An dit's only gonna get better :p

kenis138
11-27-2002, 11:22 AM
I think 180 hp factory wouldve been good, but I think this car was intentionally corked up from the factory for the sole purpose of making people want to change/customize it. The Si market is not huge, and it caters to a very limited demographic. I have had so much fun with this car simply by wondering what I was gonna put on it next, what brand, etc...
Granted, wouldve been nic e if they had put some 17''ers on there, but hey, its part of the fun. If the car came kick ass from the factory, we'd all be driving the same car, right? Part of the fun is the customization and individuality.

Oh, one big gripe though, we're payin 19k for a civic, PUT A F'N BOSE SYSTEM IN IT PLEASE!!! Jesus, speakers rattle if DJ has a deep voice, Howard Stern will nearly blow yer speakers!!

tkm
11-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Sounds like the original poster needs to sell his Si and get a VW GTi or something.

I mean, what do you expect for a Civic? It is what it is and what it has always been. The Civic is not a luxury car nor will it ever be. Frankly, I can't even believe you suggested things like heated seats. What a friggin joke.

This Si follows the heritage of all other Si's. Sunroof, slightly better stuff than the rest of the civic lineup, etc. Nothing that much better, but better and sportier. This is the beauty of the car.

A lot of you guys are describing the Civic Type R in terms of needs. Nice car, but again--not an Si. The Civic will never be put ahead of the RSX-S in terms of power or price in North America. Even if a pseudo-R version came over here, my bet is that 75% of the folks who buy one would mod it up anyways, and it wouldn't be a real R version like the other countries get. Why not just buy the cheaper Si and get to work on that?

Let the guy in the VW GTi think he has a better car. Then, spend $750 on wheels/tires and go waste him in the twisties. $16K compared to $22K something? That's an easy choice for me.

blacksvt
11-27-2002, 12:09 PM
The good: The seats, cool shifter position, overall Honda quality

The bad: 15 inch wheels/tires combo, no 6 speed tranny, 160hp could have upped another 10hp or more, the price is a little high.

irrational
11-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Overall i think that the new si is a pretty sweet car. Like with every other car out there, some things i like and don't like about it.

Good:
-The Seats, Steering Wheel, and Shift Knob Combo
-Engine and Trans

Bad:
-The Red and Amber Bumper Lenses
-The Rims

Those are my major likes and dislikes.

Peace and Chicken Grease

redlineracing
11-27-2002, 10:08 PM
Even though I have only owned my 02 si for only about 2.5 weeks this is what I would change about it:

The Good:
Love the close ratio tranny
The seats of course
After getting out of the dealer parking lot, it was alot like driving my 1993.

It's a civic. Reliability, comfort, cheap, what else could you ask for?

The Bad:
It does need a 6th gear. 4k @ 75mph for a car with a 6800 redline is a bit much for the U.S.

THAT GOD DAMN SHAKING IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR!!!!!!!
thats it.

The stock tires REALLY SUCK!!!
The macpherson strut suspension. independant is the way to go

The Overall:
I love my civic. People think it should have more power, there should be luxurious options, or that there should be a "B" series motor in it(damn it, it does have an "si" badge right?!?!). The car is underrated and an underperformer from the dealer but as soon as you get the usual mods done to the car it's still a viable contender for the SCC under $20,000 challenge. I bought mine for 14500 and I know with $5000 more my si has the potential to beat out most if not all of the crap in that test.

Look people the car still has 80hp per liter. If it was a camero Z28 it would have 456hp straight off the showroom or a Cobra mustang at 4.6L would have 368hp!

I have a car I paid less for than what I paid for my DX HB in 1999. Am I happy? You damn right I am. I went outside of honda once and I'll never go back.

Odyssey Mini ME
11-28-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Surprise
you're right.. it would weigh so much. HAHA SMG? i mean thats nice but on a honda? oh yea my 2 cents:

THE HEADLIGHTS are too big for such a small car. and the shape looks funny.

pros:
15g's reduced price and the interior color, very CTR inspired. oh yea that lil compartment thing on the driver side near the door. that lil "step" or whatever. that comes in handy

TrippZ
11-28-2002, 10:04 AM
1) Type S engine
1a) If not the type S engine, a better ECU with a higher redline and rev limiter
2) Red Stiching. If possible, there should be an option where you can get the stiching the same color as your car. I'm seriously trying to find a shop where I can get my stiching Yellow or Black. Preferably black, because Yellow is a little too flashy.
3) 6th Gear.
3a) If not a 6th gear, a higher redline, again. It is pretty necessary for highspeed highway driving
3b) If a 6th gear is included, a Type S engine would be pretty sweet to go with it.
3c) If a 6th gear is included, there needs to be mechanisms where you cant accidentaly shift into reverse when trying to get into 6th. To be honest, i sat in a s2000 and i couldnt figure out how to get into the 6th and into reverse. I got so frustrated I just said screw it.
4) A lower car. For the money we paid, how come Honda couldnt put in a 200-400 dollar difference with lower springs? In fact, I doubt it'd be that much, considering they can MANUFACTURE it themselves.
4a) how about an option for Air Struts? Man, those are badass (not really what I want, but I still think they're cool)
5) Better sound system. At least some quality 6.5's.

All in all, I'm happy. There are a few other things, but nothing really big. Also, I dont really mind that they didnt include these things. If I want it, I'll get it. No biggy.

02SilverSiHB
11-28-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by TrippZ
1) Type S engine
1a) If not the type S engine, a better ECU with a higher redline and rev limiter
2) Red Stiching. If possible, there should be an option where you can get the stiching the same color as your car. I'm seriously trying to find a shop where I can get my stiching Yellow or Black. Preferably black, because Yellow is a little too flashy.
3) 6th Gear.
3a) If not a 6th gear, a higher redline, again. It is pretty necessary for highspeed highway driving
3b) If a 6th gear is included, a Type S engine would be pretty sweet to go with it.
3c) If a 6th gear is included, there needs to be mechanisms where you cant accidentaly shift into reverse when trying to get into 6th. To be honest, i sat in a s2000 and i couldnt figure out how to get into the 6th and into reverse. I got so frustrated I just said screw it.
4) A lower car. For the money we paid, how come Honda couldnt put in a 200-400 dollar difference with lower springs? In fact, I doubt it'd be that much, considering they can MANUFACTURE it themselves.
4a) how about an option for Air Struts? Man, those are badass (not really what I want, but I still think they're cool)
5) Better sound system. At least some quality 6.5's.

All in all, I'm happy. There are a few other things, but nothing really big. Also, I dont really mind that they didnt include these things. If I want it, I'll get it. No biggy.
:rolleyes:

TrippZ
11-28-2002, 11:07 AM
why did you say :rolleyes:

02SilverSiHB
11-28-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TrippZ
why did you say :rolleyes:
because:

A 6th gear isn't going going to help with highspeed highway driving....it's there for lower revs at certain speeds. Ever notice how our cars rev to like almost 3k when we're going 60 in 5th. Give it a 6th gear and it will drop the revs down....less engine noise and better gas mileage.

Even our cars have a mechanism not to go into reverse when in 5th, the only way it could happen is if you were to continuously keep trying to jam it into reverse, by then you'd have to know...wrong gear. I played with the tranny in a S2000, no prob for me.

Air suspension as an option? I won't even go there

Jpax
11-28-2002, 12:04 PM
uhh yea what he said........lol ....;)

2k2_nbp_egg
11-28-2002, 12:19 PM
Mmmm....6th gear....3000@75 would be nice. Trippz - a type S engine would be nice, but we didn't pay enough for a type S engine. I personally feel that i spent enuff on the msrp on a civic...and i can only imagine that the msrp would jump to something ghey like 22-26. A six speed LSD tranny along w/ a lil bigger engine or finer tuned k20 would be sweet. But as long as we got stuff like GTIs, Spec Vs, and that dreadful neon coming out around the streets, 160hp/130tq ain't gonna cut it. 245tq from 3k rpm up on that neon = butt hurt Sis :(

At least I'm happy w/ the modability for this car. The dynos I've seen w/ the basic bolt ons are better than most N/A cars like tha Spec 5. Besides, after all the shit I've seen him go thru w/ that car I can do my happy honda reliabilty dance.

Jpax
11-28-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
I can do my happy honda reliabilty dance.

And may we see it..............please.

1 fstr si
11-28-2002, 07:21 PM
all i would like factory on my Si would be the JDM 215 hp engine, a 6 speed, the heated outside mirrors, HID's with auto leveling, and a heated steering wheel would be a nice touch as well, but it isnt totally needed.oh and the one touch tilt open feature would be nice for the moonroof as well as auto up and auto down all windows and it would also be nice if the rear windows had a power feature that opened the back edge of the back windows, like on the bimmer 3 series coupes. thats all. dang, i was gonna type somethin else but i freakin forgot. dont u hate when that happens.

BarracksSi
11-29-2002, 10:17 AM
The moonroof does tilt open AND shut on one touch. Push the button to tilt it open, and push the slider forward to close it.

Or did you mean to just briefly touch it and not spend the half-second moving the moonroof?