PDA

View Full Version : Need help with shock problem.

Zeth
08-11-2008, 11:17 AM
So I installed my progress coilovers a couple of weeks ago and went in today to get an alignment. The guy put it on the lift and came and told me that I had a bad shock. He said my front driverside shock was bad then he grabbed the wheel, shook it and it did have some play side to side. Im going to recheck everything tonight before I call progress but let me know if you guys have any ideas.

mustclime
08-11-2008, 12:01 PM
If you have play in the shock, its toast.....progress can rebiuld it( no info on wether they are new or used shocks).....if the shock is new, I am sure they will take care of you.

Check you balljoints for play though, I have had alinment guys confuse shocks with balljoints though.

4angrybadgers
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
If he wiggled the wheel side-to-side (on the strut's vertical axis) it might also be a bad tie rod end.

Zeth
08-11-2008, 05:17 PM
So I called Progress and they said that when the shock was at full droop (like when off the ground) there well be a little play because the piston is not threaded into the dampening device inside the shock (sorry for bad explanation). I did check for play in the shock on the ground and there was no give. But the shocks are new and only been in the car for 1000 miles, the progress tech. said everything seamed right though.

02nhbpep3
08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a tie rod or steering rack problem. Did you get it figured out seth?

Zeth
08-26-2008, 05:00 PM
yeah, i called progress and there was actually no problem at all like it thought. i think the alignment shop either didn't know what they were doing or didn't want to do it in the first place. I took it to a shop 2 days later and they aligned it perfect.