PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or these *&#% springs!!!

S800Racer
11-24-2002, 07:05 PM
Okay, so I'm not the worlds greatest mechanic, a fact that I have proven over and over. First I bought H&R springs and I had problems with them. Turns out TireRack and H&R did me wrong and sold me springs that were not designed for the '02 Si. So I ordered a set of Progress springs - designed for the '02 Si this time.

Just put them on today. Nice 2" drop on the rear - all good. Only about 1/2" drop on the front - not good at all! It does NOT look good.

I think I know why. The front springs are about 1/2 inch larger diameter than the stock springs and don't want to properly seat into the strut or the upper spring perch. So am I an idiot for not knowing how to make these springs work or did Progress send me the wrong part?

DocofMind
11-24-2002, 09:26 PM
You must preload the suspension before tightening everything down.

raph
11-24-2002, 11:09 PM
Call Progress or email them and give them your part number and have them check to see if its for an 02 Civic Si.

S800Racer
11-25-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by DocofMind

Not sure what you mean. I could put a load on the suspension before tightening the top nut on the strut (or, now that that the springs are in place, loosen that nut), but I don't think that will make the springs seat any better.

HondaMan
11-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Should be Part# PRG-401007 for Progress Sport Springs.

I'm not sure what they mean by preloading the springs either...hmmm

S800Racer
11-25-2002, 06:06 PM
I talked to someone at Progress Technology today. They were very cool about the whole thing. :cool:
First of all, he confirmed that the spring should be the same diameter as the stock spring and that if mine were a larger size, they were not the right spring. They are shipping another set of front springs to me. I just have to ride around with the nose in the air looking like a motorboat until I get my new spings.
So it's not me, it really is the #%*& springs! AND it has nothing to do with "preloads"!! :mad:

TightEP3
11-27-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by DocofMind

hey doc, explain this to me.

DocofMind
11-27-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by S800Racer

Not sure what you mean. I could put a load on the suspension before tightening the top nut on the strut (or, now that that the springs are in place, loosen that nut), but I don't think that will make the springs seat any better.

Sorry i was short about my last comment, but i was on the go.

But exactly what you said, the suspension must be loaded before everything gets tightened down.

My buddies s2k had teh same problem, except his was the rear, once the loosened everything, used the weight of teh car to load the suspension and tightened everyting down, all was well.

But as you eluded to earlier, if your springs are wrong, that is the problem.