PDA

View Full Version : Is this "safe" for my first track day?

SiRCivic03
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey guys, quick check of opinions here. My local Porsche Club of America is holding their first open track day at the BRAND NEW New Jersey Motorsports Park. I will be driving with an instructor all weekend. Here is the track, we are driving on the 2+ mile Thunderbolt circut which you can check out here: www.njmp.com .

This is my first ever track day, but I have autocrossed multipul times if that makes a difference. My question is two fold. 1. My stock pads and rotors are due to be replaced now, and my brake pedal feels very spongey. I've researched and I'm going with Powerslot Cryo treated front rotors and Brembo blank rear rotors with Hawk HP+ at all four corners, with the stainless steel lines from Corsport. Think this will be a safe combo for the track?
2. Also while I'm doing the brakes to help my pedal feel I want to change out the brake fluid. I've heard great things about ATE Super Blue. How many 1L bottles will it take to fully change out the fluid from stock to all ATE Super Blue? Thanks a lot, and I hope more EP3's come to this track day, for more info go to www.delawarepca.org

MugsyTheGr8
08-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey guys, quick check of opinions here. My local Porsche Club of America is holding their first open track day at the BRAND NEW New Jersey Motorsports Park. I will be driving with an instructor all weekend. Here is the track, we are driving on the 2+ mile Thunderbolt circut which you can check out here: www.njmp.com .

This is my first ever track day, but I have autocrossed multipul times if that makes a difference. My question is two fold. 1. My stock pads and rotors are due to be replaced now, and my brake pedal feels very spongey. I've researched and I'm going with Powerslot Cryo treated front rotors and Brembo blank rear rotors with Hawk HP+ at all four corners, with the stainless steel lines from Corsport. Think this will be a safe combo for the track?
[/url]

if its anything like the first lapping day i had there, you will be fine with the aforementioned combo.

na14yu
08-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes the parts you listed should hold up well for your first track event.

You shouldn't need any more than 1L can of the ATE Super Blue fluid.

Lucid Moments
08-11-2008, 06:06 PM
With the changes you mention your brakes will be more than fine. Go for it and have a blast.

Just me, but I would get 2 Liters of the Super Blue. You will probably only need one but better safe than sorry.

SiRCivic03
08-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the responces guys. Good to know i'll be ok for my first day. Also na14yu your avatar picture is freakin sweet man.

na14yu
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the responces guys. Good to know i'll be ok for my first day. Also na14yu your avatar picture is freakin sweet man.

Thanks man. Wish you were out here on the west side....we need more EP3's at the tracks!

v1c10us
08-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Alot of people swear by changing your brakefluid before and after a track day or autox for safety reasons, you might wanna do that, you might not. Just throwing it out there.

sLiCk
08-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Ya if you're going to do anything at all, I would definately put fluid change as top priority. I use superblue as well and I've never had a problem.

mustclime
08-12-2008, 07:51 AM
I highly recomend you pull your ft spash shields on you brakes when you do the rotors. Its just 4 6mm bolts and some snips of the sheet metal.....your inside pads are going to cook imo.:mangel:

Lucid Moments
08-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Alot of people swear by changing your brakefluid before and after a track day or autox for safety reasons, you might wanna do that, you might not. Just throwing it out there.

You don't actually change it all the way out, you just bleed them. You just want to get the fluid that has been subjected to high heat out of the calipers. What is in the lines and master cylinder is usually still good. A full flush should only be necessary once a season unless you have an all out race car.

I highly recomend you pull your ft spash shields on you brakes when you do the rotors. Its just 4 6mm bolts and some snips of the sheet metal.....your inside pads are going to cook imo.:mangel:

An excellent suggestion. You would probably be okay on your first track day without doing this since most people don't push really hard their first time out but since you are going to be working on your brakes anyway go ahead and take care of it.

SiRCivic03
08-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Oh ok, I forgot about those splash sheilds, good call. I think I will do that too then. There isn't any really good reason to keep the splash shields at all is there?

mustclime
08-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Oh ok, I forgot about those splash sheilds, good call. I think I will do that too then. There isn't any really good reason to keep the splash shields at all is there?

Had mine off for more than a year.:mangel:

na14yu
08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I did 4 or 5 track days with the EP and the splash shield (factory rotors & calipers + Endless pads) in place but I have since removed the splash shields.

I typically don't even bother bleeding my brakes after a track event, but I do a full fluid flush before the next event. That seems to work fine for me but ymmv.

MugsyTheGr8
08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
a very good idea to remove the splash shields. from what i understand, they are there as a precaution to stop the radiant heat from the brakes cooking you ball joints, but many people have had them off with out any ill effects. i took mines off since they were rubbing on the rotor and i have been fine since