PDA

View Full Version : Fog Light Meltdown

SHHEP3@UB
08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I was wondering if anybody can help me with these fog lights. The fog lights came with the car and were installed by the previous owner. They have only ever intermittently worked, the left has never, and the switch would always jam. I pulled the whole thing apart and found out that the plastic in the switch was melted and the left fog was filled with water and salt corrosion (Rochester NY winters).

Has anybody seen this before? There is no burt wiring so it must have been the little bulb inside of the switch that caused the melting, it got wicked hot when i was trouble shooting. doing some research online and ephatch, i figured that the ebay kits are really the only way to keep the OEM look and fill in the grill, but can anybody recommend a good brand to go with? i couldn't find any names on the existing fogs.

KrypTOniTE
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
TRy Depo..

SHHEP3@UB
08-11-2008, 06:07 PM
there are Depo headlights and taillights on ebay, but no fogs

soncep
08-11-2008, 06:25 PM
The reason why the switch burnt is because there was no relay in the mix.
Use a relay and the switch will last forever.

pynikal
08-12-2008, 07:15 PM

true statement.

people think they can just wire up something with out knowing how electicity flows and burn stuff up.

SHHEP3@UB
08-12-2008, 08:33 PM
thanks for the help, the relay must be the problem, i bought the car as is, and wiring was definitely not the previous owners' forte (also lots and lots of electrical tape).

but does anyone know any good replacement brands?

macdady678
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
that definitely looks like the cheap foglight switch that comes from ebay. When I did my foglight retrofit, I chucked that switch since it got really hot cause the light is basically a small bulb which TOUCHES the plastic sides of the switch. If I were you, I would go OEM and just order the RSX foglight switch. It's about $20-25 online, and the light is a green led, and will match your cruise control light perfectly.

Also, I would check the socket of the left foglight. See if any rust built up on the connectors, and try to clean it off. See if there are any leaks in the housing, and try to seal them off. If you do those things, hopefully the fogs can be saved.

If these are ebay foglights, they usually come with a relay, so try to find where the previous owner installed the relay (it should be on the drivers side, under the left side panel) and check to see if it works, or replace it.

Hopefully these things will help you fix your foglight set up.

frm_808
08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
i had a faulty switch when i got mine from tunerzimage

SHHEP3@UB
08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
that definitely looks like the cheap foglight switch that comes from ebay. When I did my foglight retrofit, I chucked that switch since it got really hot cause the light is basically a small bulb which TOUCHES the plastic sides of the switch. If I were you, I would go OEM and just order the RSX foglight switch. It's about $20-25 online, and the light is a green led, and will match your cruise control light perfectly.

Also, I would check the socket of the left foglight. See if any rust built up on the connectors, and try to clean it off. See if there are any leaks in the housing, and try to seal them off. If you do those things, hopefully the fogs can be saved.

If these are ebay foglights, they usually come with a relay, so try to find where the previous owner installed the relay (it should be on the drivers side, under the left side panel) and check to see if it works, or replace it.

Hopefully these things will help you fix your foglight set up.

thanks for the help, i did not know about the RSX switch, i was about to put in an led in anyways to replace the bulb. i'm not too worried about replacing the fogs, they are pretty trashed and a lot of the wiring has to be redone. what is the setup in your profile picture? all the ebay kits are $40 and i kind of figure you get what you pay for, so wouldn't mind upgrading if i can keep it looking pretty OEM

D3xn2o
08-14-2008, 10:47 PM
true statement.

people think they can just wire up something with out knowing how electicity flows and burn stuff up.

You tell the Trufff

you need to get another switch And wire in a Relay fogs power comes directly from the battery and the relay will be the actually switch

the switch inside the car "the fog light switch" will turn on and off the relay

very simply to do I dont get why people never do it...

Cough cough *DoOLEY!!* Cough cough...

MOOGEN
08-14-2008, 11:10 PM

this fog light kit does come with a relay but IMHO the wires are too small to be carrying 55w and that switch is a piece of crap anyways. Trust me I had to redo another wiring harness for my hid fogs. you think 35-55w is bad try 75w, you will soon start smelling burning rubber.

SHHEP3@UB
08-15-2008, 06:16 AM
I had to redo another wiring harness for my hid fogs

so what is your setup?

very simply to do I dont get why people never do it...
yeah, looks like a sixth grader installed it. and the scary thing is, the previous owner got a degree in mechanical engineering and automotive repair.

MOOGEN
08-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Well I just remade another harness using larger wires with a better switch. Not sure what you mean by "setup".

SHHEP3@UB
08-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Well I just remade another harness using larger wires with a better switch. Not sure what you mean by "setup".

just wondering if you did anything else to the fogs besides the switch and wires. and the fact your fogs are hid, is that aftermarket or a honda factory option?

D3xn2o
08-17-2008, 10:58 AM
so what is your setup?

yeah, looks like a sixth grader installed it. and the scary thing is, the previous owner got a degree in mechanical engineering and automotive repair.

Yea having a Degree doesn't make you a good Tech tho... believe me I went to technical school for automotive and those idiots I had class wit didnt kno shit half of them are stuck working for stop and lube places...

while me and my select few friends went off and worked for bmw lamborghini <- ME hehe land rover and ect...

Electrical is such an easy thing to do just do it right doesnt take too much effort at all

MOOGEN
08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
just wondering if you did anything else to the fogs besides the switch and wires. and the fact your fogs are hid, is that aftermarket or a honda factory option?

The hid fogs are an aftermarket trim and the harness is necessary to operate the hid kit.