PDA

View Full Version : attn Electric gurus..got a problem in my car...

trickkykidd.02
08-13-2008, 12:03 AM
My '02 Si has something weird going on with electrical system hopefully someone can point me in the right direction on.

It is intermittent problem, sometimes is fine for a month and today it happened like three times in 15 min. .

The dash guages and radio randomly cut out...

The car doesnt seem to stall, but maybe the lights flicker sometimes. I suppose I can stop by Kragen and get the alternator checked.

I have a set of 04 headlights on a custom wire harness with relays and a ground kit. That is the only things not stock i can think of that touch electrical.

any ideas... please..

I cant get it checked at a shop since it only sometimes happens so I am pretty stuck. Are the radio and dash guages even on the same circuit or is it a total car elec issue 9(ie alternator or loose harness) or if they are together it could be an isolated issue to that circuit.

MR.Pizza
08-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Vehicle lighting is a particular component that if altered can cause an electrical issue. Sounds as if you have a loose wire somewhere in that harness and it may be backfeeding.

RON
08-13-2008, 06:20 AM
When you say "custom wiring harness" what do you mean? For the light? For the radio? For??? Also do you have an aftermarket HU?

classiccelica
08-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah it sounds to me that you have an electrical problem due to the altered head light custom wire harness. Many things are electrically connected to eachother in the automotive systems. I have my ASE certification in brakes and electrical. This sounds almost like one of the test questions from the ASE tests. I would personally have the stock system and wire harness put back in and see where that leads you.

Chad
08-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I believe there is also a common star ground in the dash, that could be your issue too. It's location is in the service manual.

skoolnu
08-13-2008, 02:46 PM
I would check the wiring for your headlights for starters. I had a huge electrical problem with my EP when i put it through its only winter. I had a nasty short that was killing almost every electrical system in the car. almost had a fire. turns out the side marker lights on the bumpers are prone to takin the roost of rain, snow..whatever. they shorted, causing the rear light wire harness to cook and boy did i have fun rebuilding a new rear harness.

trickkykidd.02
08-13-2008, 08:02 PM
I dont think it should be the HL harness b/c it is direct connect to battery with its own relays. I will take it off this weekend anyway and put the 02 lights back in.

I will look for the common ground too...

MOOGEN
08-13-2008, 09:40 PM
I dont think it should be the HL harness b/c it is direct connect to battery with its own relays. I will take it off this weekend anyway and put the 02 lights back in.

I will look for the common ground too...

yeah but what powers the relay? Hmmm think about where this is leading...

Chad
08-14-2008, 07:47 AM
yeah but what powers the relay? Hmmm think about where this is leading...

The stock headlamp circuitry likely, which also has relays, you have a relay turning on a relay ;)

MOOGEN
08-14-2008, 06:10 PM
The stock headlamp circuitry likely, which also has relays, you have a relay turning on a relay ;)

chad, that wasn't a question or you, lol I was trying to stimulate op's trouble shooting skills.

back on topic though, it could be a short between your internal relays to your aftermarket relays. Do you have fog lights by chance, or messed around with the signal lights?