PDA

View Full Version : Buying used suspension parts...

02TWSI
08-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Well, the time has come for me to lower this mini van, SO my friend is trying to sell me his old JIC coilovers from his 03 EP.

Thing is, is used coilovers a smart idea? Anything i'd have to take care of before putting them on?

mustclime
08-13-2008, 08:44 AM
imo no

02TWSI
08-13-2008, 08:50 AM
I've heard lots of people say no, but for what reason?

I'm looking for reasons :[

specialblend154
08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
i bought d2's from a member on this board and they blew in under 8 months. most people on this board are good guys/gals but you can never believe how many miles were on the set and how much stress was applied to them. if you are buying from a friend though its a different story. if you know how well he took care of them and how many ACTUAL miles are on them then i dont really see a problem.

ep_hatcher_510
08-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Anything with a Damper i would vote no, anything else should be fine. But since he is your friend that might be a different story.

oldskoofame
08-13-2008, 08:37 PM
how much is he offering?

if more than 800, just get meganracing
or put together the good ol' Koni + GC combination.
it's simple, peace of mind, and alot of people have done it. as a result u'll get alot of feedback.

lots of track / autoX people use that combo too.

drjd888
08-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't see a problem with used springs as long as they're not too old. Dampers take the brunt of the wear and tear and I would never buy a used one unless you knew specifically how many miles are on it and what it has been through.

02TWSI
08-13-2008, 10:34 PM
how much is he offering?

if more than 800, just get meganracing
or put together the good ol' Koni + GC combination.
it's simple, peace of mind, and alot of people have done it. as a result u'll get alot of feedback.

lots of track / autoX people use that combo too.

I want to start to track this bishhh

He's willing to go as low as $350+my stock suspension for the JIC FLTA2s.

I thought it would be worth it. One day at willowsprings and daily driven = not much abuse?

I wanted to go Bilstein Shocks + Spoon progressive springs, but it's a bit too expensive right now, and I cant find the bilsteins online ANYWHERE.

MugsyTheGr8
08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
im with special blend. if he hasnt put that many miles on them i would get them. but, in most cases, i stay away from buying used dampers, they are a wear item after all.

blackout
08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
I'd buy them if I were in your position. Sounds like a good deal. If he were my friend, I'd have bought them. :mbiggrin:

oldskoofame
08-14-2008, 11:34 AM
u know ur friend more than i do. so it's ur decision lol
i don't know where he drives and how he drives.

05silversi
08-16-2008, 07:22 PM
I wanted to go Bilstein Shocks + Spoon progressive springs, but it's a bit too expensive right now, and I cant find the bilsteins online ANYWHERE.

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_list.asp?app=28|CV&type=2&ltype=ns_import

fungkeyfresh
08-16-2008, 08:54 PM
i bought used coilovers that were used a few times on autox and i haven't had trouble with em since.. been using em for about a year and bought them used with about 15k mi

EVOKIN
08-17-2008, 06:56 AM
I've bought used Tein Flex for my EVO and still have it till this day and is fine. Most dampers are rebuildable, so if you have a good deal on it, jump on it.