PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack raising bracket

spydur
08-13-2008, 09:58 AM
This was posted on clubep3.net on 6/2/08. It looks like a good idea. Has anyone had any experience with this bracket or have any knowledge of its availability or where it can be obtained? I tried to copy the posting with the pictures, but the pics did not copy.

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=574505

Steerimg Arm Bracket Review & DIY
Been a while since I made a showing on here. Got an internship doing Rocket Design this summer, so its been a bit hectic. Here we go.

Anyway, I installed the correctional steering bracket designed by 0857 on ClubRSX. Here are pics of the piece.

The general idea behind this piece is to raise the location in which the steering arms connect to the steering rack. The raise in connection height reduces the angle at which the steering arm sits. No longer will you have an extreme upwards V shape. This helps eliminate the bump steer that is associated with dropped cars.

Here is a picture comparing the 0857 bracket to the stock bracket.

Youll need the following parts:
-2x # 53536 S5A 900 (crush washer)
-2x # 53662 S5A 003 (o-ring)
-1x # 53535 S5A 900 (lock washer)

Parts Layout

I had my motor out of the car for a different install, but this CAN be done without removing your motor. I am going to leave out some steps, but Ive linked the PDF for those of you who want a more in depth guide for each step.

General DIY.
-Youll need to remove your header and place it aside.

-Now get your tie rods loosened from teh strut assembly. Get them off and let them hang aside. (DO NOT HAMMER THE TIE ROD SHAFT)

-Next youll want to loosen up the crush washers. You can locate them by following the tie rod arms to the middle of the car. That bent up metal disc needs to be pried back to a normal-ish straight disc.

-Once you get them semi straightened, take out a large wrench and get to loosening the tie rod arms,

-After getting them off, proceed on removing the bracket. Its only two bolts.

-Replace the worn parts (crush/lock washers and o rings) with the new parts you bought as you start putting the parts back in.

The tq specs for the parts can be found on the HELMS manual. Here is a PDF link for those of you who dont have it yet.

Here is the final result. Not on my car, but mine sits identically.

The car feels great. No bump steer. I honestly think this is a must for anyone with a drop who is also doing a trans or motor install. Do it while you have the extra space.

Those of you with small drops will be ok, but the ones with 1.5+ drops would really benefit from this. Doing it with the motor in will probably take a littler longer, but it is still very doable.

Ill keep you guys posted with any updates.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

skoolnu
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
makes sense... let us know how it goes.

MugsyTheGr8
08-13-2008, 03:10 PM
i think talon racer has one if im not mistaken

metalviper
08-13-2008, 03:15 PM
a guy on crsx makes them. his sn is 0857. they seem to be made of high quality materials and everyone that has one likes it, i think its a better and cheaper alternative to inverted tie rod ends. he also did r&d on it before he started producing. although its a hard install b/c the header is right there. im going to get one for my new suspension set up! he quoted me $130 shipped

darkunitzero
08-13-2008, 04:02 PM
whoa, these look pretty cool. im running on tokico d specs right and even thought about getting megan coilovers just to get the rack straight. these would be quite abit cheaper. haha.

spydur
08-14-2008, 03:57 AM
I have exchanged emails with the designer, manufacturer and marketer of the Correctional Steering Arm Bracket (Andrew Chang). Following is the body of his email to me, I think his thread on clubrsx.com listed below will be very informative to those who have lowered your ep3's and DC5's.

"according to what you had mentioned, my bracket should work out for you pretty well.
i had sold many sets to ep3 owner with much sucess.

heres my thread for the inverted tie rod ends and bracket.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=494883

please noted that the inverted tie rod ends wont fit your ep3, unless you are running dc5 coilover.

price for the bracket - $130 shipped, same for the inverted tie rod ends".

At this time, I only have his email address:dc5jdm@yahoo.com.

From what I've read on clubrsx, i think I'm going to order a Bracket today.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

MugsyTheGr8
08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
i want the aspec suspenion from the dc5, so i wonder if i could cut a deal for the inverted rods plus the bracket for like 200 or something. ill wait till i have the money before i start pricing though.

spydur
08-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Mugsey

As far as I know, the Brackets can only be purchased from Andrew Chang. So, I don't believe you will be able to dicker to lower the price.
The Brackets and Tierod ends can be purchased by Paypal - syuko19840710@hotmail.com

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

Ygrene
08-14-2008, 12:38 PM
I have this bracket installed and it works great.

darkunitzero
08-14-2008, 02:37 PM
how was the install process?

civiCholo
08-15-2008, 07:51 PM
papituyo has this insatlled already... hence him doing the DIY for it... might want to ask him the questions regarding this...

Ygrene
08-16-2008, 06:57 AM
how was the install process?

Was not too bad at all. I do not have the heat shield on my header so that helped clearance a little bit. What worked really well, funny as it may seem, was a short handled crescent wrench. Made the tight working area a non-factor. I don't even think it took an hour to put on.