PDA

View Full Version : ground controls...just came in

shadowmd
08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
so my ground controls FINALLY came in (thats a story in its own)
my question, most springs for "stock" struts are pretty fat up front. the ground controls are NOT (they are A LOT smaller). i have tokico d-spec struts i just put on like 2k ago. my question is, do i have to hack up the struts for them to seat correctly???? it doesn't say so in the instructions but i was just curious. thanks!

ep_hatcher_510
08-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Depends on how low you want to go, if you want to go low then you might have to cut the cup in the front struts to allows the perches room to go down.

Paolo
08-13-2008, 04:25 PM
you should be okay without cutting the spring seats. you dont wanna go too low anyway or the ep will bottom out

shadowmd
08-13-2008, 04:26 PM
yea im not tryin to go SLAMMED lol. just about .5" lower than i currently am....sittin on progress springs atm...

and thanks for the FAST responses guys! :mcool:

spydur
08-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Congratulations on your Ground Controls!

I'm curious:

Are these custom straight spring rate Ground Control coil overs or their "off the shelf" auto-x set?

If so, what are the spring ratings front and back?

Why did you order the Ground Controls?

I notice you have made a lot of performance modifications. Are you seeking adjustability to tune your suspension? Or, did you not like your Progress springs? Any handling problems from lowering the front 1.8" and rear 1.5". (Sorry for all of the questions, I have a set of Progress springs and D-Spec in my garage waiting for installation)?

THANKS!

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

tallblondkid
08-13-2008, 08:06 PM
would also like to know what spring rates you got...

shadowmd
08-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Congratulations on your Ground Controls!

I'm curious:

Are these custom straight spring rate Ground Control coil overs or their "off the shelf" auto-x set?

If so, what are the spring ratings front and back?

Why did you order the Ground Controls?

I notice you have made a lot of performance modifications. Are you seeking adjustability to tune your suspension? Or, did you not like your Progress springs? Any handling problems from lowering the front 1.8" and rear 1.5". (Sorry for all of the questions, I have a set of Progress springs and D-Spec in my garage waiting for installation)?

THANKS!

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

Well. i loved my progress springs but they were starting to go. so thats the reason i got new springs. Well technically, my stock struts started to go first so i replaced them with the d-specs. once i installed those, i noticed the springs were starting to go. i figured since i got some decent struts, it be nice to have an adjustable ride height. thats why i went with the ground controls. as far as spring rates, i will let you kno tomorrow. it says it on the box. this are going in this sat.

tallblondkid
08-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Well. i loved my progress springs but they were starting to go. so thats the reason i got new springs. Well technically, my stock struts started to go first so i replaced them with the d-specs. once i installed those, i noticed the springs were starting to go. i figured since i got some decent struts, it be nice to have an adjustable ride height. thats why i went with the ground controls. as far as spring rates, i will let you kno tomorrow. it says it on the box. this are going in this sat.

make sure you dont lower it to much... just because they are "better" dampers, doesnt mean they will take well to a low ride height... if im not mistaken, those dampers are designed for stock springs, my guess is anything more than 1.25-1.5 is really pushing it.

shadowmd
08-14-2008, 04:45 AM
make sure you dont lower it to much... just because they are "better" dampers, doesnt mean they will take well to a low ride height... if im not mistaken, those dampers are designed for stock springs, my guess is anything more than 1.25-1.5 is really pushing it.

yea, i really like the progress drop. so i prob. will stay there or not go passed that by much

mustclime
08-14-2008, 10:24 AM
you can leave the stock purches alone.

tallblondkid
08-14-2008, 10:42 AM
you can leave the stock purches alone.

what does that mean?

mustclime
08-14-2008, 11:08 AM
what does that mean?

the thing the spring set on is called a spring purch....you do not need to cut the the stock ones to run GC's

shadowmd
08-14-2008, 11:39 AM
nice! thanks for the info scott

darkunitzero
08-14-2008, 02:39 PM
and on the strut where the piston enters there is a metal ring. i might be wrong but if the sleeve for the ground control doesnt fit, you would have to remove it.

mustclime
08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
On the front d-spec's, there is a "bottom out cup" that sits over the seals. This cup needs to get "knocked off" to slide the GC sleeves and purch on to the struts. The "bottom out cup" then needs to be tapped back down into place.....When you do this, you will see why I really do not like d-specs any more.....The way they make the top seal sucks imo......that why I like koni's now:mangel:

darkunitzero
08-14-2008, 09:22 PM
On the front d-spec's, there is a "bottom out cup" that sits over the seals. This cup needs to get "knocked off" to slide the GC sleeves and purch on to the struts. The "bottom out cup" then needs to be tapped back down into place.....When you do this, you will see why I really do not like d-specs any more.....The way they make the top seal sucks imo......that why I like koni's now:mangel:

haha, koni inserts right?

mustclime
08-15-2008, 07:13 AM
haha, koni inserts right?

yup........

darkunitzero
08-15-2008, 07:39 AM
haha, yea it was kinda given. my bad. ive heard great things but for some reason i dont want to part the dspec i have on. would you say it was worth it?

mustclime
08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
night and day......but my d-specs went in 5-10,000 miles......:mfrown:

spydur
08-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Were the D-Specs that failed installed with custom GC coilovers using relatively stiff spring rates (500 to 800 lbs)? I have talked to two techs at Tokico, both said that 500 lbs is the recommended maximum for D-Specs.

S P Y D E R
SAIL-ON!

mustclime
08-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Were the D-Specs that failed installed with custom GC coilovers using relatively stiff spring rates (500 to 800 lbs)? I have talked to two techs at Tokico, both said that 500 lbs is the recommended maximum for D-Specs.

[COLOR="Red"]S P Y D E R[/COLOR
SAIL-ON!

no, Ebock sports......Have you ever see the seals on the ft shocks? It looks like they place in a the sleeve with the seal in the housing and use a big press to "crimp" the shock housing around the seal...the shock housing looks like the end of a blank rifle round. Thats where mine failed...my rears are still fine, I have run them with 850lb springs with no issues.