PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Opinion???

Ba82Ep3
08-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Shopping for new struts i find out that all four OEM strut assemblies (including the useless springs and neccessary upper mounts) will cost about $1100. I really WANT the Tein Flex setup... but there seems to be so many other decent options for a little less $$$. My choices for full suspension replacement (with ride height adjustment)...

*KSport- (includes front upper pillow ball mounts as best i can tell... yay)
*Progress- (lower spring perch adjusts ride height... nay)
*Skunk2- (havent heard/read too much about em to have an opinion)

Most of these setups look to cost as much as the OEM goods... with obvious advantages over OEM. If you have any of these products please let me know how you rate them. If you have something NOT listed... let me know what you have, and if you were really impressed with it, let me know. Thanks!

jjermzz
08-13-2008, 06:55 PM
dude phill got some nice teins on for like $900 in classified, best deal around. Other then that you have more options. Tokico D-spec struts with lowering springs or Ground control for adjustment. you got buddy clubs, progress, mugen ss.

nos4mao
08-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Im debating between the D-specs and GC set-up or the koni/GC set-up and the megan coilovers, but yea you could do what the guy before me said. You could match up the D-specs with progress springs... imo progress gives the EP a nice drop!

Thanks,
Matt

spydur
08-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Be sure to do your research before you buy. I would suggest that you run a search on Mustclime and Zzyzx. They have posted a lot of good advice. If you lower your car be sure to also install an Alignment Kit and research for a performance alignment.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

oldskoofame
08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Be sure to do your research before you buy. I would suggest that you run a search on Mustclime and Zzyzx. They have posted a lot of good advice. If you lower your car be sure to also install an Alignment Kit and research for a performance alignment.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

mustclime and zzyzx get into very technical details that may overwhelm a first-time buyer.

their suggestions are excellent for oncoming competitive drivers that are learning.

SiR R8TD
08-13-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm heading towards a set of KSport coilovers, very decent bang for the buck. But I haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

Ba82Ep3
08-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I guess i should have made it known im already dropped on Tein S-Tech springs and stock struts. I currently have Hotchkis swaybars (the rear installed only at this time) with a Progress rear tie bar, and the OEM front swaybar. Im really pleased how the EP handles with the current setup... in particular the spring rate of the Tein springs (anyone know these specifically?). With the rear bar on the softest setting, the car rotates really well... and is very tossable/controllable on dry pavement with a lot of lateral grip. The wet is another story tho...

Im not lookin to go with another aftermarket spring/OEM style strut combo. Mugen is just too rich for my blood nowadays. Ive got two K engine projects im collecting parts for and i need to spend $$$ wisely so i can meet my planned time frames for those. Thats the main reason i am tempted NOT to buy the Tein Flex, and opt for a full coilover set that is comparative in function and quality.

What i have read on the KSport goods is very promising. A lot of guys in the s2k community sing KSport praises... but the orange is hideous. lol Has anyone installed the Skunk2 pro set and had good/bad results with it? I love the look of the Progress stuff... but from what i found they only make a set for the RSX-S?? Corsport shows a set for the EP, and says check for availability... but the Progress webbie seems to only show a set for the RSX-S. Isnt the steering arm on the front struts different between the two chassis??

Driving/suspension discussion doesnt scare me in the least... ive wheeled my fair share of track time (not autoX tho) and helped build a few race cars in my lifetime. So please add links or anything you might think may help my decision with my purchase. Thanx again!

Ba82Ep3
08-14-2008, 05:02 PM
dude phill got some nice teins on for like $900 in classified, best deal around. Other then that you have more options.

Agreed, that IS a killer deal. Ive just never been the type of guy to like to buy parts second hand. Sometimes you have no choice tho (like an engine swap for example). Which of them would you get if you had $1500 to spend? Somethin used for $900... or something new for $1100? The Mugen setup doesnt have adjustable ride height right (trying to remember)? LMK

mustclime
08-14-2008, 05:16 PM
ok read this....

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=564642

and this

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=565676

and this

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=573805

and this

http://forums.clubep3.net/showthread.php?t=569763

Congrats, you are now a suspension god..........:tehehe:

Out of your top choices, the progress is the best imo...

mustclime
08-14-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm heading towards a set of KSport coilovers, very decent bang for the buck. But I haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

Just walk away, the spring rates are dumb.....search them on crsx, the couple guys that have picked them up have found out how messed up it is to have softer springs in the rear.......:mfrown:

spydur
08-14-2008, 06:50 PM
If you have built race cars, have "seat time"and are technically minded make sure you study and understand Mustclime's postings listed above - especially the second one. Then consider custom Ground Control coil overs. You will be able to pick the spring rates for the front and back units. The springs are made by Eibach and are straight (constant rating) and not progressive. These GC units allow you to use your struts (just be sure that the struts and the spring rates are compatible).

FWIW, I learned from Musty that a starting point for a DD-Auto-X might be 350 -400 lbs. Front and 650 - 700 lbs. Rear. Take some time and go through the spring rate calculations yourself, its a good learning experience!

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

Ba82Ep3
08-15-2008, 06:01 PM
>reading<

Great info... :mwink:

ep_hatcher_510
08-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Have you looked at the buddyclubs and the KWs? Good coilovers with the same price as the teins if not lower.

Ba82Ep3
08-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Aight... did a lot more reading and research. Now i have even more questions. haha

Congrats, you are now a suspension god..........:tehehe: Out of your top choices, the progress is the best imo...

Not really, there are still a lot of things not discussed. Bump steer, ackerman, active v/s static camber and caster... and the almighty grail of roll center and how suspension adjustment or modification can change it. But i think you were being silly with your statement... so i digress. :mwink::mbiggrin: As far as the Progress coilovers go... cant you swap GroundControl springs of varying rates on them? If so... wouldnt that be feasible to do the same to the KSport set? I havent found where i can order the KSport coilovers with different spring rates as someone earlier mentioned....

I would like to say Scott that your choice of suspension does make the most sense for my EP. I can get OEM style struts for years to come. The Ground Control sleeve kit (which includes all four sleeves and springs i assume??) will likely be available for a long time from now (if needing to be replaced for some odd reason) as well. The option to buy varying spring rates IS right up my alley... but i found so little information as to the modification neccessary to the OEM strut for the coilovers (pics in particular) AND i still have to buy the upper strut mounts (F/R) separate. I need new ones. SO it looks like im close to the cost of the Tein kit again. Sell me on the idea man... please. :mfrown:

Also... i have seen BC coilovers... meh in my opinion. Same with the Megans. They LOOK nice as hell... but both cars that they were installed in handled like ASS compared to the previous setup. (one in a Subie, the other in an s2k) Someone please kick up the testimonials if there are any... im still open for ideas... ive gotta decide soon.

NASA is holding an autoX event here the 31st. A close friend of mine is pushing me to run it. I know absolutely nothing of autoX, other than i need a helmet (duh) and i dont NEED a 5 point harness. F/R brakes are fresh, tires are good to go... and im itchin to see what the EP will do between some cones... and not rumble strips. Any other suggestions?

Zzyzx
08-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Problem with the inexpensive coilovers isn't really in their spring rates, as most use 2.5 ID springs so they are easily replaced... the problem with setups like Ksport and the like stems directly from the dampers they choose to use. Which isn't something thats easily changed.

spydur
08-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Suspensions and Auto-X!

Let me suggest some more reading:

"How To Make Your Car Handle" by Fred Puhn

"Secrets Of Solo Racing" by Henry A. Watts

Both are available from Amazon.com for approximately $10.00 each plus shipping.

I would also suggest that you join the SCCA and take a class in Auto-X driving.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

jh604
08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
megan racing coilovers are pretty good...they are on sale at showstoppers too! 850 SHIPPED!

mustclime
08-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Aight... did a lot more reading and research. Now i have even more questions. haha

Not really, there are still a lot of things not discussed. Bump steer, ackerman, active v/s static camber and caster... and the almighty grail of roll center and how suspension adjustment or modification can change it. But i think you were being silly with your statement... so i digress. :mwink::mbiggrin: As far as the Progress coilovers go... cant you swap GroundControl springs of varying rates on them? If so... wouldnt that be feasible to do the same to the KSport set? I havent found where i can order the KSport coilovers with different spring rates as someone earlier mentioned....

I would like to say Scott that your choice of suspension does make the most sense for my EP. I can get OEM style struts for years to come. The Ground Control sleeve kit (which includes all four sleeves and springs i assume??) will likely be available for a long time from now (if needing to be replaced for some odd reason) as well. The option to buy varying spring rates IS right up my alley... but i found so little information as to the modification neccessary to the OEM strut for the coilovers (pics in particular) AND i still have to buy the upper strut mounts (F/R) separate. I need new ones. SO it looks like im close to the cost of the Tein kit again. Sell me on the idea man... please. :mfrown:

Also... i have seen BC coilovers... meh in my opinion. Same with the Megans. They LOOK nice as hell... but both cars that they were installed in handled like ASS compared to the previous setup. (one in a Subie, the other in an s2k) Someone please kick up the testimonials if there are any... im still open for ideas... ive gotta decide soon.

NASA is holding an autoX event here the 31st. A close friend of mine is pushing me to run it. I know absolutely nothing of autoX, other than i need a helmet (duh) and i dont NEED a 5 point harness. F/R brakes are fresh, tires are good to go... and im itchin to see what the EP will do between some cones... and not rumble strips. Any other suggestions?

I find that if I get to tech....people just stop reading....The main point I try to get across is that if you lower our cars much more than .75 inches, you run into more trouble than it worth. What I am really saying is your rollcenters drop below ground and bump steer starts to be real issue.

As for what I recomend, well The best "out of the box" coilover set up that is not nuts money wize imo is the Buddy Club RSD, but the springs are hella stiff for dd. If you are going with Tien....imo everything that is below the Mono Flex is crap( not the flex- the flex is crap also).....the Mono Flex also come with very stiff springs ...but springs can be bought from GC or hypercoil so you could go lower on both these setups.

As for my end all dd/autoX suspension, I kinda like a custom GC kit with 400lb front springs( in a 8 inch lenght, you have to do this for sag of the lower rate springs) and 700lb rear springs( 6 inch long here is fine). As for dampers. I really like my rsx koni's but I would love to "mess " with the bilstien's. The Bilstiens use the same guts on their street shocks as their full on race dampers, they also will tune them for 65 bucks a shock, True Choice wants 110 per shock on konis. I really do not care for the d-specs...With the 400lb springs in the ft, you do not need a retune on the konis. For the alinment, I like the ingrals ft and rear, the rears are very over biult and since I had a spc kit fail on me in the past, I like over biult camber arms.....
For sways, I am running the 03 em2 15.9mm Ft sway with 515lb ft springs. With the 400 lb ft springs, I think the 2002 rsx hollow 23mm ft sway might be better. Yes, I think the stock 25.4mm hollow bar is a bit much unless you are running 245mm wide race rubber. For the rear, I like the 25mm solid cusco or the 27mm hollow hotchkis.

Now you noted camber plates, what we really need is caster plates. You can get these if you swap the drivers side for the passenger side after market plats( the bolt pattern allows this). Clubrsx has some hotchkis that will work with you stock strut cap bearings or you can get some k-sports from corsport but for these you have to find or make a upper spring purch....or you could redrill your strut towers....I have been thinking a lot about this of late.....I have been thinking about cutting the whole top off the strut towers and mounting new plates with the mounting holes moved back and to the inside......:meek:

EVOKIN
08-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Hey Musty, I had done this cheap Caster mod on my EVO with coilover. The shop that did my suspension, suggested by turning my camber plate(3 bolts) it will add (-) Camber and (-) Caster at the same time. I'm not sure if we can do the same thing for the EP, depending on bolt pattern on the camber plate.

I'll try to get a picture up by tonight so you know what I'm talking about.

03Si757
08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey dave, have you thought about checking out the Megan coilovers? I was thinking about going that route myself down the road. Iv seen and heard some good things about them from a few people that have had them for more then a year atleast.

Also let me know if your selling those Tein's :mangel:

EVOKIN
08-21-2008, 06:44 PM
As you can see, as you put more (-) Camber, you get more (-) Caster.
I still have to check if the EP will allow this.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/EVOKIN/DSC03068.jpghttp://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/EVOKIN/DSC03070.jpg

Ba82Ep3
08-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Problem with the inexpensive coilovers isn't really in their spring rates, as most use 2.5 ID springs so they are easily replaced... the problem with setups like Ksport and the like stems directly from the dampers they choose to use. Which isn't something thats easily changed.

Yeah i figured the spring replacement wouldnt be a big deal. The problem with the dampers though... do you mean the damper design.. as in monotube, or...? Please dont be afraid to expound.

I find that if I get to tech....people just stop reading....The main point I try to get across is that if you lower our cars much more than .75 inches, you run into more trouble than it worth. What I am really saying is your rollcenters drop below ground and bump steer starts to be real issue.

As for what I recomend, well The best "out of the box" coilover set up that is not nuts money wize imo is the Buddy Club RSD, but the springs are hella stiff for dd. If you are going with Tien....imo everything that is below the Mono Flex is crap( not the flex- the flex is crap also).....the Mono Flex also come with very stiff springs ...but springs can be bought from GC or hypercoil so you could go lower on both these setups.

As for my end all dd/autoX suspension, I kinda like a custom GC kit with 400lb front springs( in a 8 inch lenght, you have to do this for sag of the lower rate springs) and 700lb rear springs( 6 inch long here is fine). As for dampers. I really like my rsx koni's but I would love to "mess " with the bilstien's. The Bilstiens use the same guts on their street shocks as their full on race dampers, they also will tune them for 65 bucks a shock, True Choice wants 110 per shock on konis. I really do not care for the d-specs...With the 400lb springs in the ft, you do not need a retune on the konis. For the alinment, I like the ingrals ft and rear, the rears are very over biult and since I had a spc kit fail on me in the past, I like over biult camber arms.....
For sways, I am running the 03 em2 15.9mm Ft sway with 515lb ft springs. With the 400 lb ft springs, I think the 2002 rsx hollow 23mm ft sway might be better. Yes, I think the stock 25.4mm hollow bar is a bit much unless you are running 245mm wide race rubber. For the rear, I like the 25mm solid cusco or the 27mm hollow hotchkis.

Now you noted camber plates, what we really need is caster plates. You can get these if you swap the drivers side for the passenger side after market plats( the bolt pattern allows this). Clubrsx has some hotchkis that will work with you stock strut cap bearings or you can get some k-sports from corsport but for these you have to find or make a upper spring purch....or you could redrill your strut towers....I have been thinking a lot about this of late.....I have been thinking about cutting the whole top off the strut towers and mounting new plates with the mounting holes moved back and to the inside......:meek:

Scott, thank you for giving your opinions... this is exactly what im looking for. :mwink: I have been known to get wordy as well... so dont sweat it.

I did like the looks of the KSport camber/caster plates. But i dunno if the quality is up to par. I really like to check things out with my own hands to get an idea if it will actually do what i think it should... or at least be close to what can be the best for its design. Thats the thing i HATE about online shopping... what you get doesnt always look like the pix!

The em2 sway isnt the same sway everyone said would work with the k24 swap right? I bought an EM sway... found it wouldnt fit even with the header OFF the car... just dunno if its the same one you are referring to. The Hotchkis sways are great... but the front is a little overkill for my taste. I really like to toss the car around... and in some type of corners i "rely" on the very edge of rumble strips to pull the car around the corner. The Hotchkis front sway is just too thick for this... with my current setup at least. This would be different for autoX tho i imagine... no rumble strips.

I agree on the drop of the EP. I wanna go about .25" lower all around... and thats it. Suspension needs close to equal travel up and down (bound/rebound and spring preload) to really do its job... and looking at the suspension design of the EP... you can tell going too low would just ruin its handling ability (geometrically). If it had double wishbone suspension F/R with relocatable inner upper and lower control arm mounts... it would be a different story. You could drop the car... adjust the control arms... 4 wheel align it and go bout your business. Lets face it though... the EP's front strut design didnt have true "track" duty in mind. So its limited from the get go. But i think thats one reason we all love the EP so much... its making the best of whats there... building something quick and not breaking the bank.

Stiff springs dont bother me so much... i dont drive the EP daily as much as i used to. Im lucky to do 100 miles a week. I used to do that in a day! Track rated springs wouldnt bother me so much... if i went on a road trip id just take the FG. So again... thanks for the input... its more along the lines of what im looking for!

Hey dave, have you thought about checking out the Megan coilovers? I was thinking about going that route myself down the road. Iv seen and heard some good things about them from a few people that have had them for more then a year atleast.

Yeah the Megan stuff doesnt LOOK bad. Ive seen them for both a WRX and an s2k... maybe this is wrong of me but Megans quality has been in question for a while now (exhaust parts in particular/has this changed?)... so i guess that stigma just sticks with their entire product line when it comes to me. Someone please correct me if so...

... as far as the Teins... its gonna be about three weeks or so before i make a move. I may not get rid of them because i like them so much... in case i need to go back to an OEM strut for whatever reason on down the road. The insulators on them are pretty beat up too... so they would need to be replaced.

Were the springs we were talking about for you earlier the wrong ones? Hes still getting rid of them if youre still interested. I got some new plugs for you too if you wanna try them out... haha

You workin tomorrow afternoon? Im heading out to Gloucester to finish Chris's k20a tune... LMK if you wanna ride.

03Si757
08-21-2008, 10:56 PM
You workin tomorrow afternoon? Im heading out to Gloucester to finish Chris's k20a tune... LMK if you wanna ride.

What time you talking about going out there?, And as for those springs well talk more about them, i wanna lower my car already (SUPER impatient with the stock height)

But man on the note about Megan products. I got that Megan Racing Axle back on my car and man it still looks in great shape after about 8000 miles iv put on my swap. (i also polish it every carwash, and looks can be deceiving) But arnt the coilover also rebuildable. Im not looking for a guinea pig or anything :mangel: But they look like a great piece for the price.

Regardless man, When you get the new what ever you decide to get, I wanna help install them.

mustclime
08-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Hey Musty, I had done this cheap Caster mod on my EVO with coilover. The shop that did my suspension, suggested by turning my camber plate(3 bolts) it will add (-) Camber and (-) Caster at the same time. I'm not sure if we can do the same thing for the EP, depending on bolt pattern on the camber plate.

I'll try to get a picture up by tonight so you know what I'm talking about.
On the ep3/dc5 bodys, the strut top holes are not in a perfect trangle, so you can not just spin it. You can swap sides though, and thats what I have been thinking about with the k-sprots or the hotchkis.

Look, on the older hondas, dampers did not matter that much. On cars with McPherson struts , dampers are everything....If you want "show coilovers" to show your friends, they are great. If on the other hand you want to have a ep3 that handles, pick some thing else imo.

Yeah i figured the spring replacement wouldnt be a big deal. The problem with the dampers though... do you mean the damper design.. as in monotube, or...? Please dont be afraid to expound.

Scott, thank you for giving your opinions... this is exactly what im looking for. :mwink: I have been known to get wordy as well... so dont sweat it.

I did like the looks of the KSport camber/caster plates. But i dunno if the quality is up to par. I really like to check things out with my own hands to get an idea if it will actually do what i think it should... or at least be close to what can be the best for its design. Thats the thing i HATE about online shopping... what you get doesnt always look like the pix!

The em2 sway isnt the same sway everyone said would work with the k24 swap right? I bought an EM sway... found it wouldnt fit even with the header OFF the car... just dunno if its the same one you are referring to. The Hotchkis sways are great... but the front is a little overkill for my taste. I really like to toss the car around... and in some type of corners i "rely" on the very edge of rumble strips to pull the car around the corner. The Hotchkis front sway is just too thick for this... with my current setup at least. This would be different for autoX tho i imagine... no rumble strips.

I agree on the drop of the EP. I wanna go about .25" lower all around... and thats it. Suspension needs close to equal travel up and down (bound/rebound and spring preload) to really do its job... and looking at the suspension design of the EP... you can tell going too low would just ruin its handling ability (geometrically). If it had double wishbone suspension F/R with relocatable inner upper and lower control arm mounts... it would be a different story. You could drop the car... adjust the control arms... 4 wheel align it and go bout your business. Lets face it though... the EP's front strut design didnt have true "track" duty in mind. So its limited from the get go. But i think thats one reason we all love the EP so much... its making the best of whats there... building something quick and not breaking the bank.

Stiff springs dont bother me so much... i dont drive the EP daily as much as i used to. Im lucky to do 100 miles a week. I used to do that in a day! Track rated springs wouldnt bother me so much... if i went on a road trip id just take the FG. So again... thanks for the input... its more along the lines of what im looking for!

Yeah the Megan stuff doesnt LOOK bad. Ive seen them for both a WRX and an s2k... maybe this is wrong of me but Megans quality has been in question for a while now (exhaust parts in particular/has this changed?)... so i guess that stigma just sticks with their entire product line when it comes to me. Someone please correct me if so...

... as far as the Teins... its gonna be about three weeks or so before i make a move. I may not get rid of them because i like them so much... in case i need to go back to an OEM strut for whatever reason on down the road. The insulators on them are pretty beat up too... so they would need to be replaced.

Were the springs we were talking about for you earlier the wrong ones? Hes still getting rid of them if youre still interested. I got some new plugs for you too if you wanna try them out... haha

Ok, about the em2 sway, I bought one from honda( 2003 2 door coupe) and it did not fit. I posted a thread about it before the crash....Well, I thought about it and ordered another one. Well that one fit, it seems that honda bent the first one in shipment( it is only 15mm hollow tubeing)....I got honda to refund me for the first one.:mangel:

03Si757
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
You seem to really know your ish Musty, ima check out other alternatives. But really, like Dave is asking, what is the best for the money, looks like assembling your own setup is the way to goż

mustclime
08-22-2008, 07:49 AM
You seem to really know your ish Musty, ima check out other alternatives. But really, like Dave is asking, what is the best for the money, looks like assembling your own setup is the way to goż

I am very happy with my konis...but the are a lot of people over on crsx that love the bc rsd's and they are doing track days and autox on them also.....

03Si757
08-22-2008, 07:52 AM
I am very happy with my konis...but the are a lot of people over on crsx that love the bc rsd's and they are doing track days and autox on them also.....

Ya, also if daily driving for me and no racing at all for me (not yet :mbiggrin:) what springs you droped on again so I dont have to look it up? And you setup is agressive for racing?

mustclime
08-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Ya, also if daily driving for me and no racing at all for me (not yet :mbiggrin:) what springs you droped on again so I dont have to look it up? And you setup is agressive for racing?

I am dropped 1/2 inch....see my members ride page.

03Si757
08-22-2008, 08:14 AM
I am dropped 1/2 inch....see my members ride page.

Darn you lol. Dave you can have your thread back, I hope you get the setup you want man.

Zzyzx
08-22-2008, 08:38 AM

Surprisingly there's not nearly as much difference between a Mono tube & twin tube damper as most companies marketing departments would like you to believe. Just like theres not that much difference between a Low pressure and High pressure gas charged damper.

The problem I'm talking about is that these inexpensive coilovers use adjustable dampers that adjust both bump and rebound valving with the same knob, at the same time. And when you are trying to tune the car... thats a problem.

I really dont know how indepth you want me to go, or how much you alreay know.

But the basics are if you have a singe adjustable damper, that is an adjustable damper that only has one adjustment knob, then that adjuster should only adjust One aspect of the dampers performance. and the vast majority of pre-built coilovers don't give you this. I'm talking Tein, Ksprot, Megan... ect ect ect... The only two I know of that do have well designed dampers are Buddy Club, only the RSD, & KW with their V2. otherwise you go Koni.

So, if you are setting the car up for competition and want an adjustable damper for the least amount of money, that leves you with three choices... Buddy club RSDs, KW V2s or Koni.

You could go on to more custom setups such as Double adjustable Konis or other such setups (Penske, Moton ect ect ect) but thats going to cost you a lot more.

Also, be sure to read up on the rule set you plan to run under to make sure you aren't buying any thing that bumps you in to a class that you cant win.

Ba82Ep3
08-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Ok, about the em2 sway, I bought one from honda( 2003 2 door coupe) and it did not fit. I posted a thread about it before the crash....Well, I thought about it and ordered another one. Well that one fit, it seems that honda bent the first one in shipment( it is only 15mm hollow tubeing)....I got honda to refund me for the first one.:mangel:

Are you shitting me? A bent sway eh? Mine was sitting on the header and with the stock endlinks i couldnt get anywhere near the ends of the EM swaybar. I actually hung my entire body weight by the ends of the swaybar... preloaded the wheels (the car was on jackstands) to close some of the gap... and still couldnt get them to bolt up. The loop over the header was "clocked" closer to the swaybar towards the front of the car moreso than the OEM swaybar. Im wondering if i got the wrong EM bar altogether... if i posted up the part #'s of what i bought... could you confirm for me Scott?

Surprisingly there's not nearly as much difference between a Mono tube & twin tube damper as most companies marketing departments would like you to believe. Just like theres not that much difference between a Low pressure and High pressure gas charged damper.

The problem I'm talking about is that these inexpensive coilovers use adjustable dampers that adjust both bump and rebound valving with the same knob, at the same time. And when you are trying to tune the car... thats a problem.

I really dont know how indepth you want me to go, or how much you alreay know.

But the basics are if you have a singe adjustable damper, that is an adjustable damper that only has one adjustment knob, then that adjuster should only adjust One aspect of the dampers performance. and the vast majority of pre-built coilovers don't give you this. I'm talking Tein, Ksprot, Megan... ect ect ect... The only two I know of that do have well designed dampers are Buddy Club, only the RSD, & KW with their V2. otherwise you go Koni.

So, if you are setting the car up for competition and want an adjustable damper for the least amount of money, that leves you with three choices... Buddy club RSDs, KW V2s or Koni.

You could go on to more custom setups such as Double adjustable Konis or other such setups (Penske, Moton ect ect ect) but thats going to cost you a lot more.

Also, be sure to read up on the rule set you plan to run under to make sure you aren't buying any thing that bumps you in to a class that you cant win.

Yeah you are talking about individual bound and rebound adjustment. I saw that most everything out there now is the one knobed combined bound/rebound adjustment. The Konis you are referring to... are those just the struts that have both adjustments... or is that a coilover set from Koni? (im thinking its just the struts and i would still need to get the GC adjustable sleeve set too?)

I need to read up on the rules. I have a friend that competes in STS i think it is... with a dodge stratus of all things... and does fairly well. But he made mention of rules regarding engine swaps and certain suspension components that would limit what class i ran in. Poop.

Thanks for all youse guys comments and patience. I try to give myself plenty of time to research something before i jump in with both feet and then wish i had waited a little longer. Its starting to look like there is no "real" inexpensive solution to a well rounded and competitive (competent too) suspension setup. :mfrown:

Im very pleased with the current RSX-S brake swap... although i havent pounded on them for any extended track time yet... it seems miles above and beyond the original offerings. Im hoping for the same result with my suspension choice. Ill do some more research... and post up if i get lost again. :tehehe:

Ba82Ep3
08-22-2008, 07:16 PM
What time you talking about going out there?, And as for those springs well talk more about them, i wanna lower my car already (SUPER impatient with the stock height)

But man on the note about Megan products. I got that Megan Racing Axle back on my car and man it still looks in great shape after about 8000 miles iv put on my swap. (i also polish it every carwash, and looks can be deceiving) But arnt the coilover also rebuildable. Im not looking for a guinea pig or anything :mangel: But they look like a great piece for the price.

Regardless man, When you get the new what ever you decide to get, I wanna help install them.

Howd you like that k20a? :msmile: That shit is nasty with the Skunk 70mm!! HAHA Makes me wanna chuck my k24 into the trash bin i swear!

I dunno about rebuildability... i read some of the Tein stuff is rebuildable for a service fee... im sure some of the other stuff out there is too. I would like to find someone that could rebuild locally what i purchase. There is that motorcycle shop on Jefferson ive been meaning to stop by. The "Spiderman" drag bike rider owns that place... and from what ive heard he has connections for stuff like that. I just havent taken the time to stop in and bug him yet...

As far as install time goes... you know its all good. If i dont get that SC and decide to put the k20 back together first... you wanna be around for that to get your hands dirty? :mbiggrin:

03Si757
08-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Man that K20a is a MONSTER, pulls at all RPM's. I want one my daym self now.

As for anything you want to do mechanically for your car, call me if you need a second hand, the more i play the more i learn. And what motorcycle shop on Jefferson you speaking of? I know the owner pretty good at Redline on 17, he sold me that R1 i had.