PDA

View Full Version : o2 sensor question.

fdasfd
08-14-2008, 05:11 AM
I went to a local muffler shop yesterday, to see about getting a carsound cat installed, all was going fine until he told me it would be about 300 bucks. :meek:
I asked if that included sensors, and of course it was no. but then we got to talking and he said I wouldn't be able to use 4-wire universals, because whenever they get spliced, it changes the resistance of the wire and it would throw a code again. This sounded fishy to me, as the wire is about a foot long. I don't think that when you solder wires together it changes the resistance that much...i may be wrong....but damn, are these sensors and computers in our cars this sensitive?! is this guy smokin' something, or is he telling me the truth. sorry if this is the wrong section, but sorta exhaust-ish, move it if need be. Thanks.

(I have to have new sensors, mine are, for some damn reason, welded in)

talonXracer
08-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Most people do not have the skills or equipment to properly splice the o2 sensor wires. You need to use a high content silver bearing solder, Milspec wire, very high temp heat shrink and proper splicing techniques.

Your best bet is to purchase a set of 12" extensions from Caspers and use them(they are only 30$ for both extensions).

And 300$ to weld in a cat???? Dont walk away, run away and make sure to give him the finger, shouldnt cost over 120$ MAX!!!!! Did he at least offer to give you a reach around????

fdasfd
08-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Yeah, he said that it had to be the heavy metal series cat,(just because) and that he'd have to build another bunghole because no car-sound/magnaflows had 2 sensor holes.
http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/530.asp
theres one that I could use, isn't it, the 2 hole, 1.75" or 2" pipe. its still rather high though, ~$200 msrp.

-or the other option, just buy a test/down pipe to get it back to bolt on status anyways.
I seen one on Ebay, the Megan one, looked decent, i guess its more of a resonator.

talonXracer
08-14-2008, 06:35 AM
It doesnt have to be any special series, the 5300 series does indeed have a dual sensor cat, no need for the moron to create anything.

MAKE sure you use a different shop, you are getting BONED !!!!

fdasfd
08-14-2008, 06:39 AM
I know, definitely not gonna get that guy to do it. i can get the cat off of ebay for 77 bucks, the fella i was gonna get to do it (nearly for free on the labor) can't get those for whatever reason. No way in hell am i getting the dude wanting 300 for it to do it, i remember from an earlier post you saying it should be fairly cheap. Thanks. about the test pipe, is it necessarily any better, or should i just get the cat and go that route?

fdasfd
08-14-2008, 06:46 AM
http://images.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/pdf/catalytic.pdf
found that, ill just get a cat. no biggie.

talonXracer
08-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I went with the Spun Platinum cat made by Car-Sound, slightly more $, but worlds better as far as performance over the ceramic cats. You can look thru the Plat cat and see very clearly, almost clear enough to read the newspaper through it.

fdasfd
08-14-2008, 04:14 PM
talon, do you have a part number? i finally found a shop that can order any magnaflow cat, but i cant seem to find the one you recommended, ive found several dual bung ones, but none of them specify what they're made of. Thanks