PDA

View Full Version : How to make the suspension feel like new?

soncep
08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Well, I am tired of having the slight rattle when i hit bumps and holes in our nice Montreal streets! I am trying to get my suspension as quiet as when you buy a new car.

I have changed the springs for Tien.
I am using the stock shocks. (They were nice and stiff and the top plates looked fine.)
I have changed the front bushings for Energy.
what do i have left to change? Balljoint (I have a feeling the passenger side is loose, but i still feel something loose on the driver side when i hit a hole and i doubt it's the balljoint.)

Also, where are the rattles in the dash and doors? I can hear slight rattle in the dash, and the passenger door.

mustclime
08-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Well, I am tired of having the slight rattle when i hit bumps and holes in our nice Montreal streets! I am trying to get my suspension as quiet as when you buy a new car.

I have changed the springs for Tien.
I am using the stock shocks. (They were nice and stiff and the top plates looked fine.)
I have changed the front bushings for Energy.
what do i have left to change? Balljoint (I have a feeling the passenger side is loose, but i still feel something loose on the driver side when i hit a hole and i doubt it's the balljoint.)

Also, where are the rattles in the dash and doors? I can hear slight rattle in the dash, and the passenger door.

Loose the stock shocks asap. you have upped the spring rate by 10% and the stock shocks are not controling the springs....get some koni's,bilstiens or d-specs asap.

soncep
08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Loose the stock shocks asap. you have upped the spring rate by 10% and the stock shocks are not controling the springs....get some koni's,bilstiens or d-specs asap.

Yeah... but i doubt that is what makes every thing rattle.

Any thing else i am missing that mike make the suspension feel old?

Shocks, top plates, bushings, balljoint.

mustclime
08-14-2008, 10:54 AM
If you drive crappy roads, shock can go in as little as 20,000 miles....get some shocks....as for the raddle, look at the rear tuner mount, mine came loose ad it raddled a lot..

darkunitzero
08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
while youre at it, check all the bolts and make sure everything is in place with none of the boots ripped.

soncep
08-15-2008, 08:19 AM
If you drive crappy roads, shock can go in as little as 20,000 miles....get some shocks....as for the raddle, look at the rear tuner mount, mine came loose ad it raddled a lot..

What is the Rear Tuner Mount?

Also, i feel the loose in the steering wheel.... I check and the tie rod ends are not loose. Could it be the steering rack that is loose?

What comes loose on ep3 models? I am sure i am not the only one that has loose stuff...

mustclime
08-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Old civics had upper and lower links in their suspension. When a damper went, you just got more motion from a uncontroled spring. With our car, when the front dampers go, there is no upper link to locate the suspension. So you can wheel movement in all directions......How about you go out and jack up the front of the car, grab the wheel and shake it, If it moves, find the movement, my guess is your dapers are toast....

MOOGEN
08-15-2008, 11:51 PM
don't forget the bushings!

talonXracer
08-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Adding the energy suspension bushings will create all sorts of rattles etc from the chassis that you didnt hear before. You tighten the suspension up and then the chassis becomes the weak point and it starts to flex more and along with that comes added noise.

Performance parts are not for comfort or low noise.

soncep
08-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Performance parts are not for comfort or low noise.

You are right on this, but still, it's way too loose. I drove in the old port of montreal yesterday and i thaugh everything will come appart.

I must admint i was lazy and did not check any thing in the last 2 weeks.
Next weeken, i will change both ball joints, and do the rear bushing including the rear camber kit.
Then i will get it alligned.

Thanks all for your help.
D

johnnyhatchback
08-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Check the nut that holds the strut to the upper top hat thing in the front suspension (the one you need an allen wrench and 17mm wrench for), mine rattled and that was the problem. Just tightened it, but it comes loose every once in awhile. Might need loctite.

oldskoofame
08-18-2008, 05:41 PM
this guy is running aftermarket springs on stock struts.
and u guys are telling him to get bushings to make the suspension feel new.
what a f-cking rip off & a waste of time this thread is.

oldskoofame
08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Check the nut that holds the strut to the upper top hat thing in the front suspension (the one you need an allen wrench and 17mm wrench for), mine rattled and that was the problem. Just tightened it, but it comes loose every once in awhile. Might need loctite.

don't use any loctite unless the honda manual tells u to.

oldskoofame
08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
quite obvious that the thread starter needs new struts and springs and call it a day.

rattling in the interior can be solved by stripping out the interior.

SPAM&RICE
08-20-2008, 01:56 PM
this guy is running aftermarket springs on stock struts.
and u guys are telling him to get bushings to make the suspension feel new.
what a f-cking rip off & a waste of time this thread is.

Well your gonna kill your damper 1/2 times quicker if you ignore your bushings calling you :wacko: