PDA

View Full Version : 100,000 mile maintenance

Emjay
08-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I stopped by my mechanics shop to schedule the 100,000 mile maintenace as the MAINT REQD light was on. I expected it'd probably cost a bit more than a regular oil change since they have to check more things. They told me it should be around 500 bucks! It would be almost 200 more, but being a friend he gives me a deal on labor.

WTF? They said that since the water pump and the tensioner and belt fail soon they do it at your 100K maintenance so you don't have to come in for it at separate times. I know some preventive work was essential for other Hondas that have a timing belt. There's no way I'd not do that one ahead of time. Good thing we have a chain in the Si.

I'm pretty sure I can wait for the water pump, if it fails it's not that big a deal. But what about the tensioner and belt? What happens if these go while I'm driving? I doubt it could be as bad as a timing belt failing. I know my mechanic is not trying to rip me off, just looking out for me.

Normally I'd just do it all, but I'm low on cash since I'm already paying for next winter's heating oil.

Comments?

02CivicSI-VTEC
08-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Well i am at 206k right now never really bought my car in to HONDA or any other SHOPS for maintaint stuff. only time i bring my car in the shops is when my clutch is warn out and need to be replaced. all you have to do is change your engine oil on time, coolent, and tranmission oil , and last your spark plug then your set. my car been running really strong even tho i smash and make the engine work pretty hard on the highways. LOL TIME BELT? thank goodiness we have CHAINS =)

03civsi
08-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I work at a dealer and we wait til the belt cracks, tensioner makes noise, or the pump becomes noisy or seeps. Until then it's status quo. If anything do that other stuff at the 120k when the coolant will be out anyway....

steadydpn1
08-14-2008, 04:53 PM
yup... belts, seals, plugs, oil/air filter... thats about it...

magmagik 1
08-14-2008, 07:00 PM
There is a reason why people call it the stealership. Go to a locall shop for maintenance, if you are not able to do it yourself.

Emjay
08-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the advice, pretty much what I expected.

I work at a dealer and we wait til the belt cracks, tensioner makes noise, or the pump becomes noisy or seeps. Until then it's status quo. If anything do that other stuff at the 120k when the coolant will be out anyway....

That's what I'll do - wait till it goes, then fix it. Though it does sound like my tensioner is squealing a bit.

yup... belts, seals, plugs, oil/air filter... thats about it...

Agreed, I think I won't do any more than the regular right now.

There is a reason why people call it the stealership. Go to a locall shop for maintenance, if you are not able to do it yourself.

I don't go to a dealer. It's my friend's garage. He's been wrenching only Hondas and Acuras for over 20 years. Without a lift I just don't want to bother with it, though I do fix my bikes myself

steadydpn1
08-14-2008, 11:31 PM
i wasnt a tech but i worked the backcounter at a honda/acura dealership for about 5 yrs... at 100k we typically changed out the tbelt and waterpump together... not too sure how long a waterpump in our A3's last... i guess it couldnt hurt to change it out though..

frm_808
08-14-2008, 11:37 PM

yup thats wat we do

they call it stealer ship cuz such hi prices for parts. u have customer pay and employee pay for parts...u bring a car in for a certain amount of miles for a maintance the techs will go down the list and just check off wat they think that needs to be done, give the paper work to u to get an ok and then thats where they get u..some of it isnt really necassary there just trying to make money

Emjay
08-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Anyone ever had the tensioner or belt or water pump fail in their Si?

FCobra94
08-15-2008, 06:40 AM
The reason why they call it preventive maintenance is because you are supposed to change these parts out before they fail. We aren't exactly talking about light bulbs here. If the timing chain were to fail that would = bent valves and a very large shop bill.

If your water pump were to fail and you get stuck in traffic that would = overheating your motor and possibly warping your head and God knows what else. Not to mention the cost of a tow to the shop, etc.

A water pump is only ~$80. The parts to swap out the timing chain are what, $180? Subtract that from what your buddy is charging you to put all that stuff in and there you have it. It sounds like a reasonable price (someone please correct me if I am wrong) but I would rather get that stuff done ~10K miles too soon rather than 1 mile too late...

frm_808
08-15-2008, 10:54 AM
If your water pump were to fail and you get stuck in traffic that would = overheating your motor and possibly warping your head and God knows what else. Not to mention the cost of a tow to the shop, etc.

unless u got AAA

:mcool:

dashehonda
08-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Well i am at 206k right now never really bought my car in to HONDA or any other SHOPS for maintaint stuff. only time i bring my car in the shops is when my clutch is warn out and need to be replaced. all you have to do is change your engine oil on time, coolent, and tranmission oil , and last your spark plug then your set. my car been running really strong even tho i smash and make the engine work pretty hard on the highways. LOL TIME BELT? thank goodiness we have CHAINS =)

What, you think they wont fail?:mrolleyes:

02CivicSI-VTEC
08-15-2008, 08:39 PM
not saying that it wont fail but it lasted this long for 206k it can go for another 100k no problem

!@#$%
08-15-2008, 08:53 PM
What, you think they wont fail?:mrolleyes:

Well, since they are designed to last the life of the motor....it won't. :mrolleyes:

FCobra94
08-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Well, since they are designed to last the life of the motor....it won't. :mrolleyes:
Just because it's designed to do something doesn't mean it will...That's like going up to someone with oil consumption issues and saying "Guys! There is no way your cars are burning oil!!! That's not what they were designed to do!!!!"

Emjay
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Well, I've decided to do the tensioner and belt this oil change, then the water pump later. My mechanic friend said you'll get plenty of advance warning (leaks, etc.) before I need to change the water pump, but not so with the tensioner and belt.

03civsi
08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Sounds fair, good luck