PDA

View Full Version : Question about tires, wheels, and the winter time.

McNastee
08-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Lately ive been looking for a set of wheels to put on my car to plow through the snow/ice we get here in ks. Im about to just say screw it ill use my current wheels..which are 17x7(i think) konig hurry wheels. Now my question is, i can always slap on bigger tires for the snow and oncoming weather right, instead of going and buying new wheels and tires?

darkunitzero
08-14-2008, 02:43 PM
why dont you use your oem wheel with some snow tires?

McNastee
08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
why dont you use your oem wheel with some snow tires?

The car came dropped on these konigs, no stockies came with. :(

darkunitzero
08-14-2008, 09:25 PM
o that sucks, if i were you i would jump on craigslist and get a set of cheap steelies and put some snow tires on that. so when spring comes around just toss the konigs back on.

i mean its winter right, you dont need nice rims in the snow.

McNastee
08-14-2008, 09:58 PM
I agree, im having a hell of a time finding steelies even :( Im not terribly worried about these wheels either, but they literally are all I have. I just want to be able to get to and from work without sliding all over. Does anyone by chance have wheel info on our cars? For instance if i call a junk yard what exactly am i looking for? 15 x ?? 4 lug 100mm? Im not sure :\

McNastee
08-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Would these work?
http://lawrence.craigslist.org/pts/785532317.html
14inch seems so small

McNastee
08-14-2008, 10:10 PM
or these
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/760192815.html

Chad
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm old, I run Pilot Exalto A/S year-round and they kick ass in the snow and ice, in the snow they do the same as the stockies did in the rain! It's no ultra performance tire but still WAY better than stock so on dry days you can play a bit. I highly recommend them, in Illinois, if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes, it will change, sound similar to Kansas? Rain handling is VERY confident.

BTW I HATED the stock tires! BAD!

McNastee
08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah Ill get to my tire questions later, im wondering if those 14inch wheels will work if i throw some fat ass tires on them. I have no intention on throwing high performance tires on the snow wheels, i dont wanna go fast with no traction... really i just want traction so i can pay the bills and not be stranded. haha.

Ive never had to winter mode my car before because my previous cars never had aftermarket wheels with low-pro's so im new to this whole situation.

Chad
08-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Come on man, you should know by now, Wide+Snow=Ditch

For mud and snow you want a tinner, aggressive tire, I'd find a set of stockie rims and throw the exalto's on them, KS is a lot like here, more dry than snow but when the snow comes, it comes thick and slick ;)

If you use them in the winter months only they will last forever and can still be kinda fun.

MugsyTheGr8
08-15-2008, 08:08 AM
tirerack.com has snow tire and steel wheel packages starting at like 300 something. they also have some article telling you how to best equip your car for winter.

wishbear
08-15-2008, 02:59 PM
just get soem cheap wheels and snow tires