PDA

View Full Version : Final Drive Gear Changeable?

Hasbro
08-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Searched, no luck.

I know very little about trannies. Can the 4.764 final be swapped for the 4.389?

Not sure why this hasn't been stickied:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa278/Hasbro_photos/K-SeriesTransmissionTablev3-28-08re.jpg

Tnhatch03
08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
check in the engine section. i am pretty sure there is a sticky.

they are interchangeable. buy the final drive and i am pretty sure buy the proper countershaft and you will be good.

Hasbro
08-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks.
Ok, tell me if this makes sense:
This is for both fuel efficiency and performance. Reflash the basically stock motor and add the 4.389 final drive. If my math is correct these two mods will up the 2nd gear from 55 to 68+ mph, which is pretty close to 72 for the Type R at 72 mph. The Hondata Reflash will give a nice addition to low end torque and it eliminates the torque drop at 2300 rpm when the second intake valves come in which would help when low rpm shifting for fe. Plus the final gear drops the rpm 8% across the board for more fe. Plus dropping 400- 450 lbs will help all of the above(the extra hp and weight loss will put the lbs per hp close to the UKDM's CTR ratio). Will it still launch ok in 1st? This car is for dd, trackdays and some autoxing to test things out. That's not all the mods but this thread is about the tranny.
What dost thou think?

Lucid Moments
08-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Like Tnhatch said yes they are swappable, but it isn't really a performance gain. I had the taller FD in my car and it is nice cruising down the highway, but I recently switched back to the stock FD and the performance gain is significant.

Hasbro
08-15-2008, 05:33 AM
Like Tnhatch said yes they are swappable, but it isn't really a performance gain. I had the taller FD in my car and it is nice cruising down the highway, but I recently switched back to the stock FD and the performance gain is significant.

Are we talking apples and oranges here? You have a monster pushing 300 hp! Sure sounds like fun.
"This is for both fuel efficiency and performance."

Oh, and I'm an old bastard. :)

Lucid Moments
08-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Are we talking apples and oranges here? You have a monster pushing 300 hp! Sure sounds like fun.
"This is for both fuel efficiency and performance."

Oh, and I'm an old bastard. :)

Us old bastards gotta stick together.:mbiggrin:

I understand what you are saying, and you will get the fuel efficiency gain you are looking for but it will be a performance loss not gain. The point in my comparison is that I felt the performance hit even with my motor. With a near stock motor you will feel it even more.

talonXracer
08-15-2008, 06:20 AM
It may be cheaper for you to source a base RSX tranny and add the TSX 6th gear.

I have the 4.3 FD and it has more than enough grunt. I had tried a 4.8fd in a similarly set up RSX and for a DD the 4.8 actually sux bigtime. Way too much shifting needed IMHO, and the lower gears just spin all the time when you stomp on her.

Hell, I want to go down to a 4.0fd when I install the K24Z.

And most assuredly us old farts have to stick together.

Lucid Moments
08-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Of course when I am talking performance gain keep in mind that my car is a track bitch. What I mean when I'm talking performance gain is that I saw higher speeds on the straights at Road Atlanta with the 4.7 final drive than I saw with the 4.3.

If my car was still a mostly street car I would go with the 4.3 and maybe the TSX 6th gear on top of that for highway cruising.

Hasbro
08-15-2008, 07:36 AM
I have the 4.3 FD and it has more than enough grunt. I had tried a 4.8fd in a similarly set up RSX and for a DD the 4.8 actually sux bigtime. Way too much shifting needed IMHO, and the lower gears just spin all the time when you stomp on her.

Well, that sounds encouraging. The RSX 2nd gear is probably too high but I like the sound of a 4.3 and maybe the sixth gear if it could handle it. Use the sixth as an overdrive and fifth as the final track gear. 10lbs torque and 20 hp more over stock ought to do it...?

talon, I've also been trying to find info on the JDM CTR suspension geometry and I found your Weekend thread, which was helpful. I hadn't found much but was looking on the wrong board. Hopefully there's more here. I really want to increase the track an inch and get the front/rear roll centers balanced, etc. I will, however, need to drop it more than the stock R, I think, due to the minus 400 or so pounds. I have about 275 out and it's starting to look like a rally car! The 17% weight loss will also make the springs 17% "stiffer".

Speaking of old farts, I saw a pic somewhere of a white haired guy with a 400 hp EP on a trailer recently. Not sure if it was on this board.

Tnhatch03
08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
was he a TN guy?

wishbear
08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
final drive is changable

MadLorEP3
04-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Alright guys bare with me here.

So I am gonna be dropping in my stock k24a2 into the 04 ep.
I have been considering getting the tsx 6th, along with a wavetrac LSD
stg II clutch and 11.5 flywheels, aem v2/dcrh type-s/ type-s midpipe/Exhaust (Im looking at the hytech twinloop)
In the future I will either supercharge or NA but for now its just stock k24a2 with bolt ons.
I dont do drag or track, but auto-x is a possiblity in the future.

Can someone please tell me whether to go with a 4.3 or a 4.7 FD with my setup above?

I dont completely understand how a FD works but it seems like the lower the number of the FD means that you will be able to reach higher speeds at a lower rpm and thus your engine will not be working as hard which is where the gas savings come in. (grammar nazi's attack)
Can you explain how performance is negatively affected by a 4.3 FD if it is on a stock motor like mine?

So should i go with the tsx 6th with a 4.3FD?
OR
tsx 6th with 4.7FD?

If my car was still a mostly street car I would go with the 4.3 and maybe the TSX 6th gear on top of that for highway cruising.

Lucid Moments
04-18-2010, 05:47 AM
If you are going to add the TSX 6th gear then I would stay with the 4.7 final drive. If in the future you add some sort of forced induction (supercharge) the I would consider swapping to the 4.3 final drive but if you stay n/a the I wouldn't.

talonXracer
04-18-2010, 06:25 AM
The K24's have the torque required to operate the 4.3fd in a far more usefull manner.

The K24 will offer better fuel economy with the TSX6th and a 4.3fd.

MadLorEP3
04-18-2010, 07:25 AM
If you are going to add the TSX 6th gear then I would stay with the 4.7 final drive. If in the future you add some sort of forced induction (supercharge) the I would consider swapping to the 4.3 final drive but if you stay n/a the I wouldn't.

The K24's have the torque required to operate the 4.3fd in a far more usefull manner.

The K24 will offer better fuel economy with the TSX6th and a 4.3fd.

So whats the verdict? 4.3 or 4.7

4.3 would save gas but how will it affect performance?

talonXracer
04-18-2010, 08:34 AM
4.7fd is more for the higher reving A2, the K24A2 torque monster loves to pull the lower gearing of the 4.3fd. You would be very dissapointed with the 4.7 on the street.

whatisthis
04-18-2010, 02:52 PM
So whats the verdict? 4.3 or 4.7

4.3 would save gas but how will it affect performance?

so with your 4.7, for example, 60 mph in 5th gear iirc should put you in the 2950-3000 rpm range. for a rough estimate, since i don't have the chart i made and don't feel like doing the math right now, you can assume that the tsx 6th and the 4.3 fd will each bring your rpm down, at the same 60 mph, 300rpm. combined they will put you at a 60 mph crusing rpm of about 2400. the tsx 6th obviously only affects the previously non existent 2nd overdrive spot, where the fd affects all gears. swapping to the 4.3 will make it take longer to wind it all the way out to redline, it'll feel a little slower without an increase in torque on the part of you engine. for a daily driven car that sees alot of highway time, i'd go with both. if it's short track times (like autox) you're more worried about the leave the 4.7 fd in and just go with the 6th gear mod.

MadLorEP3
04-18-2010, 04:04 PM
4.7fd is more for the higher reving A2, the K24A2 torque monster loves to pull the lower gearing of the 4.3fd. You would be very dissapointed with the 4.7 on the street.

so k24a2 def has enough tq to pull the ep even at lower rpms

so with your 4.7, for example, 60 mph in 5th gear iirc should put you in the 2950-3000 rpm range. for a rough estimate, since i don't have the chart i made and don't feel like doing the math right now, you can assume that the tsx 6th and the 4.3 fd will each bring your rpm down, at the same 60 mph, 300rpm. combined they will put you at a 60 mph crusing rpm of about 2400. the tsx 6th obviously only affects the previously non existent 2nd overdrive spot, where the fd affects all gears. swapping to the 4.3 will make it take longer to wind it all the way out to redline, it'll feel a little slower without an increase in torque on the part of you engine. for a daily driven car that sees alot of highway time, i'd go with both. if it's short track times (like autox) you're more worried about the leave the 4.7 fd in and just go with the 6th gear mod.

at the moment my car is not my daily and i doubt it will really ever see alot of highway time
i have another car as my daily driver
so right now shes a garage queen while shes being built
but once done I would like to be albe to drive her to hit the canyons when possible and although I have not been to auto-x that is probably one of the events that I would most likely participate in the future but just for fun and nothing serious

On my 08 cbr 600rr I had the shop change the gear ratio
so that now my rpms are higher at lower speeds making me feel more power and pull at the lower and middle end at the sacrifice of having a lower top speed (which you dont really get to use as much anyways) (before I would be able to hit lets say 160mph but now top speed is only 150 mph-guestimate-speedo is off after gear change & I have not corrected it)
but I think my bike's rev limits at 13k or 15k its been awhile so I dont remember

So is this the same concept as going with a 4.7 on my ep3 which will allow me to be able to feel more lower and mid range power and tq at the sacrifice of loosing top speed

im not sure if Im using the terms power and tq incorrectly

whatisthis
04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
So is this the same concept as going with a 4.7 on my ep3 which will allow me to be able to feel more lower and mid range power and tq at the sacrifice of loosing top speed

im not sure if Im using the terms power and tq incorrectly
you pretty much nailed it there.

MadLorEP3
04-20-2010, 02:55 AM
you pretty much nailed it there.

haha
well what do you know
i might actually be learning something here...LOL

thanks

but is Talon saying that I should be rollin with the 4.3 instead my bike UNLIKE my ke24a2 is not high reving enough?

It seems that if I prefer lower and mid range power and tq rather than top speed 4.7 is the way to go but is Doug saying that I would hate this on the streets because since my new motor is gonna be torquey Im gonna feel like the engine is working hard all the time, like its always ready for a street race, si or no???

4.3 seems then to be more for comfort, cruising, just chillin on the streets
4.7 is more aggressive, ready to rock n roll

yay or nay???

jimmyjames
04-20-2010, 04:47 AM
yay or nay???
JUst stick with the stock FD, no changes/cost needed and the 4.3 doesn't seem to be something suited for your needs.

whatisthis
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
it seems like you have the basic premise down pretty well, so at that point it's up to you to make the informed decision.

MadLorEP3
04-20-2010, 12:35 PM
got it thanks

sometimes its better not to hae options, less to think about LOL

Flip05
03-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Hasbro
Good thread, will definitely subscribe to this since this will be my one of my upcoming projects. What did u end up getting?

Hasbro
03-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Whoah, blast from the past. Your'e using your search button. I'm still stock. My final will be the first five with close ratio and as tall a sixth as possible. What ever that will be, don't really know which tranny - I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Over 500 lbs. lighter (2,450 loaded), K24 frank built torquey, 4.9 final due to lower diameter tires.