PDA

View Full Version : k20a full swap..need advice on ny inspection

digitlmajik
08-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Hello All,
I recently put a k20a swap in, with a full Toda package head, Toda header and fujitsubo exhaust.
I love it.
I need to pass inspection... (pause while the laughter stops):gheyf:
but really..
I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but i had no luck finding a specific thread on this in my search.
My question is, if i use my k20a3 computer, just to plug it in at the shop and use an O2 sim, can i pass the obd2 NY State inspection?
They don't run the car on a dyno in NY State for model years 2002 and above, they just scan for an OBD2 system.

I passed once with questionable methods being used, but i like to know if theres way that i can do this without having to realy on some shiesty shop to bang for 75 bux or more just to pass inspection.

I apologize if this has been covered, if so, please just throw me a link.

v1c10us
08-15-2008, 11:18 PM
If the k20a3 ecu doesnt give you a check engine light you might be able to pass inspection if you have a catalytic converter.
Down here they just take a mirror on a stick and check to see if you have one and plug in to the OBD2 diagnostics to see how your car is running.

Tnhatch03
08-15-2008, 11:35 PM
i am pretty sure that unless you have kpro, you will NOT be able to hook up a K20A3 ECU for a K20A motor. someone correct me if i am wrong.

SilverStar
08-15-2008, 11:45 PM
you can't use A3 stock ECU with K20A

Tnhatch03
08-15-2008, 11:47 PM
question to the OP - you don't already have Kpro? you should be able to pass with that.

Sucka
08-15-2008, 11:56 PM
If you have Kpro you might have a chance on passing cause i passed the ecu reading & smog but i didn't pass the visual test because of bigger injectors on my JRSC i was running 440cc injectors. My mods were k20a3/jrsc-r/stock header/stock exhaust/Kpro. I live in Cali and they are strict. I don't know about motor swap but hope that you have KPRO.

Just put back on stock cat and set up the obd2 so that it can read. Make sure you click onto the obd2 in kpro so that it can read in KPRO and there is some other small ticks too but i forgot. After you do all this make sure you run your car for atleast 200 miles to see if there is any check engine lights.

Hope this help.

thisisagame24
08-16-2008, 01:23 AM
if you have kpro you wont have a problem passing inspection. i had no issues with my k20a2 swap and i have race header and 3in exhuast.

i was able to get jeenyusss ep to pass NY inspection with blown/smoking turbo with 3in turbo back piping. NY inspection is a joke....esp if you know the owner of the shop :mwink:

wishbear
08-16-2008, 01:48 AM
if you got a k20a ecu then you should be fine

thechromecoyote
08-16-2008, 02:22 AM
as long as you arent throwing a cell, you will pass the OBDII reader test in NY, the sniffer and visual are a different story.

Our cars run fairly efficiently smog wise so Ive seen people pass smog with a race header. And as far as visual, you just need to make it "look" like you have a cat on the car. Easiest way to do that is to attach a cat heatshield to the raceheader somehow.

digitlmajik
08-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Wow, thanx for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. Last time i had to pass i paid some dude a buck-50 to pass me. That sucked.
Anyhow, yes i have kpro running on a CTR ecu.
NYS does NO visuals, just an OBD2 scan for cel.

Question: If i were to use an omni power O2 sim in place of my wideband, and turn on my OBD2 in KPRO, would this work?

@chrome...your avater is wicked...sick ink!

jeenyusss
08-16-2008, 11:50 AM
i was able to get jeenyusss ep to pass NY inspection with blown/smoking turbo with 3in turbo back piping. NY inspection is a joke....esp if you know the owner of the shop :mwink:

i dont know what you are talking about

:mconfused:

thisisagame24
08-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow, thanx for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. Last time i had to pass i paid some dude a buck-50 to pass me. That sucked.
Anyhow, yes i have kpro running on a CTR ecu.
NYS does NO visuals, just an OBD2 scan for cel.

Question: If i were to use an omni power O2 sim in place of my wideband, and turn on my OBD2 in KPRO, would this work?

@chrome...your avater is wicked...sick ink!

that o2 sim will only cause problems....the only type you should use on our cars is the mechanical one that pulls the secondary out a bit. and if you dont have your stock primary o2 hooked up you will throw a CEL and the car will run like crap.

if you have any CEL right now....when you get to the inspection place reload the map and set readyness.....you will pass with flying colors. its what i do on my car and have never even been second guessed

AUTiger
08-16-2008, 01:55 PM
like thisisagame24 said don't mess with the wideband sensor. Just put a $5 DIY mechanical o2 sim on the secondary o2 sensor and you should be good to go.