PDA

View Full Version : Amp going on protect?

bchaney
08-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I just got a new sub and was trying to hook it up tonite. The amp's been in my car along with the amp for my components and the gain has been turned down and speaker wires removed.

Now when I turn the car on the sub amp goes on protect mode, even w/o the sub hooked up. It's getting power and is grounded properly, my comp amp works fine and is grounded to the same point. Fuses are okay too.

What could it be?

james04si
08-16-2008, 05:29 PM
assuming that what you say is correct. the amp has no load, the ground is good, and the power is good, you got bad news. It sounds like the amp is blown. check your manual to see if there is a specific way to reset the amp, I once had one that required you to completeley power it down no power at all even the battery lead to reset, but that was a really cheap legacy way back in the days. Outside of that looks like your hosed

bchaney
08-16-2008, 05:34 PM
How could it be "blown" before a fuse blows?

supercivician
08-16-2008, 06:55 PM
How could it be "blown" before a fuse blows?

did the light came on and went away right away?

it happened to me too. i just installed my new amp this afternoon. its a kicker. i bought on ebay. i had a brand new kenwood 1000w for a year and i guess i had a bad ground so the amp blew. the fuses were perfectly fine.

bchaney
08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Is that why it'd happen? Bad ground?

Shit, this sucks. Just spent $ on a new sub.

bchaney
08-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Ok so I'll accept that my amp is done.

Any recommendations on amplifier brands? Lookin for ~600W RMS for 4ohm load.

The old amp was an Ultimate Sound and my current component amp is a US Amps.

supercivician
08-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Ok so I'll accept that my amp is done.

Any recommendations on amplifier brands? Lookin for ~600W RMS for 4ohm load.

The old amp was a US Acoustics and my current component amp is a US Amps.

get a kicker amp on ebay. kicker supposed to be one of the best out there. i got my mono 300watt kicker amp on ebay for 125 shipped. and when you get it, use a lock washer and screw it down on the chassis

bchaney
08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Right now I have my amps grounded to a spot in the hatch where I sanded off the paint and bolted it down. Where's yours?

supercivician
08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/doingyeyo/100_0402.jpg