PDA

View Full Version : Free air subs in rear panels

Myriad
08-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Has anybody tried putting free air subs in the rear panels? If so, what kind of results did you get? I installed some Kicker SSMB6's in the rear panels and they sound okay without an amp, any sealing, or sound deadening. Do you think if I added all those things, will they sound better?

revelations
08-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Damn, for those who dont need 1000w of sub bass....thats a better idea than having a sub sitting in the spare tire bay!

shibiku2
08-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Has anybody tried putting free subs in the rear panels? If so, what kind of results did you get? I installed some Kicker SSMB6's in the rear panels and they sound okay without an amp, any sealing, or sound deadening. Do you think if I added all those things, will they sound better?

Well IMO and experience adding those things will only help. But it's up to you if it sounds good to you, stick with it. If you want to do some extra work you will reap the benefits.

v1c10us
08-17-2008, 01:31 PM
you installed them without an amp?
they'll sound worlds better powered.

Fish
08-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Put an amp on the back of the middle/driver back seat. It'll sound a ton better and doesn't take up much space.

revelations
08-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Has anybody tried putting free subs in the rear panels? If so, what kind of results did you get? I installed some Kicker SSMB6's in the rear panels and they sound okay without an amp, any sealing, or sound deadening. Do you think if I added all those things, will they sound better?

Would you happen to have a pic of you setup by chance?

devinblue
08-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Ya, I'd like to see that

NitroBoarder
08-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Would you happen to have a pic of you setup by chance?

Ya, I'd like to see that

yea, pics please!

mattism78
08-24-2008, 07:25 PM

They only sound ok because you don't have a proper setup to compare them to. I can assure you when compared to a proper system you'll go out and get more power.

Free air subs are useless IMHO. You need a proper box, and sub to get bass. Unfortunately that takes space. Pay to play.

revelations
08-25-2008, 07:55 AM
I've just ordered a pair now (about 110 CAD shipped) on ebay and I'll post pics of the install, it wont be for a few weeks though as I am out of town.

I dont have an amp yet but I will put them in now just to get it over with (along with the wires).

Chad
08-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Free air subs are useless IMHO. You need a proper box, and sub to get bass. Unfortunately that takes space. Pay to play.

Infinite baffle subs are not ideal in that place in our car but are FAR from useless, some of the best systems use infinite baffle configurations outside the SPL arena.

gettheledout
08-25-2008, 03:39 PM
pics please

Myriad
08-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm an "old" guy with a family, so a big sub in the hatch would not be practical for me. If I were 19 again, I would have a system like I did when I was 19, with a big sub. Which is why I decided to give this a try and make it sound as good as possible. I plan on installing an amp in the near future and get some sealing and sound deadening done. I did some tweaking in the mean time, and got it to sound not too bad for now. It's broken in and can hit pretty hard for the type of music I listen to. The factory opening is large enough for this speaker. It is 6 3/4".

The front speakers are the Kicker KS series components. The tweeters fit like a glove in the factory sail panel with a little filing.

Here's the pics you all requested of the install.

Chad
08-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm an "old" guy with a family, so a big sub in the hatch would not be practical for me. If I were 19 again, I would have a system like I did when I was 19, with a big sub. Which is why I decided to give this a try and make it sound as good as possible. I plan on installing an amp in the near future and get some sealing and sound deadening done. I did some tweaking in the mean time, and got it to sound not too bad for now. It's broken in and can hit pretty hard for the type of music I listen to. The factory opening is large enough for this speaker. It is 6 3/4".

The front speakers are the Kicker KS series components. The tweeters fit like a glove in the factory sail panel with a little filing.

I only lost around 4" of hatch height in my install, retained the spare, and retained ALL the square footage. If you crave more and are handy you can do it, at home, yourself :mwink:

I'm an old guy with a family too, that's why mine is this way!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Civic%20Audio/Hatch%20Build/100_2112.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Civic%20Audio/Hatch%20Build/100_2113.jpg

Myriad
08-30-2008, 06:27 PM
That's a nice setup you have there. It's a free air sub?

If I had the time and the $$$, I'd love to. But unfortunately I'm not very handy with woodwork, and I live in an apartment (no garage). That's why I went with what I had. I do crave more bass, but my mammoth sub in my home stereo takes care of that monster craving.

If I'm not satisfied with what sound I get after adding an amp, sound deadening, and sealing, I'll probably replace those little subs with full range speakers, and get a powered sub for the hatch. But I think doing the prior will sound pretty good without a powered sub. We'll see I guess.

at0m
08-31-2008, 08:30 AM

Did you notice much of a change to your low end with these in the rear? I was thinkin of doing the same exact thing.I have a little 10" woofer but don't wanna take up the trunk space with it. Also when you were putting them in did you notice if there was room in there to build a small enclosure? the 6.5" woofers required very little box volume I was thinkin there might be room to make an enclosure in the existing area.

Myriad
08-31-2008, 06:59 PM
There is a definitely low end boost, plus the bass is more defined. Once I get some sealing & deadening done of the rear panels + an amp, it'll sound even better. I wouldn't recommend this if you like rap, but for rock it sounds great.

revelations
09-08-2008, 08:56 AM
There is a definitely low end boost, plus the bass is more defined. Once I get some sealing & deadening done of the rear panels + an amp, it'll sound even better. I wouldn't recommend this if you like rap, but for rock it sounds great.

I just installed these speaker, hooked to the stock deck.

They sound OK (probably on par with the stock speakers), but will sound much better once you set up a filter, an amp and a good deck (in the works for me).

ep3moschini
09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
in for the model numbers and such. . . my car is gutted and im running Boston acoustics's front and rear with stock tweeters and im missing the earth shaking bass my car used to produce, but thats not going back in so id like to find a set of these little guys