PDA

View Full Version : K&N Typhoon Intake

Brenetics
07-13-2002, 10:01 PM
For only 150 @ performancecenter.com

I've been reading around about this on different forums (clubrsx etc..) and everyone that has it, has nothing but good things to say about it. One dude said that he had the AEM CAI and that after the switch to K&N he couldn't believe he paid that much for an intake while the K&N was out there.

HondaMan
07-15-2002, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the info...that looks dang good! I know K&N makes good stuff and that price is hard to beat. Not to mention the hp/torque gains are real good.

HondaMan
07-15-2002, 12:02 PM
Just ordered the red K&N Typhoon for my ride. :)

So much for the AEM/INJEN CAI dilema.

Brenetics
07-15-2002, 12:25 PM
I'm on the phone ordering it as we speak!!!

SpacemanSpiff
07-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Cool, let us know what you guys think once you get them installed!!

Brenetics
07-15-2002, 12:35 PM
Order from Robert at ext. 231 from www.planetperformance.com he hooked me up with free shipping and freight.

It came to 141.73 shipped to my door.:D

SBC31
07-15-2002, 12:44 PM
You'll have to post pics, and let us know how it sounds, fits, and so on. Do these only come in red, and why are they so cheap compared to an AEM or Injen?

Brenetics
07-15-2002, 12:53 PM
here's a pic of the blue one installed in an RSX along with some user reviews

"I installed my typhoon intake on monday, damn, it is awesome. Not loud in normal driving conditions, maybe a little deeper tone, but hit iVTEC and that thing freakin roars. I havent heard or used Injen or AEM CAI, but i promise the K&N is worth every penny. (which by my calculations is about 10,000 pennies cheaper than injen or AEM, i payed 150 shipped). Also easy as hell to install, were talkin 30-45 min. To all you who payed the extra cash, hope 1 or 2 hp(if that) was woth that extra $100+. "

"i got it from performancecenter.com. a bunch of people were hatin on them for bein dicks and slow, but i didnt really have a prob with them. They didnt have it in stock, so K&N shiped it (ground) the next day. I ordered it on a sat. got it the next monday. Took a little while but i figure i could wait no big deal. On the phone they seemed kinda dumb, but they gave me the trackin number as soon as i asked for it, so no probs there. And with that price (155.40 including shipping to be exact) i figured it was a good deal. Good luck, and if ya get one hope you enjoy it as much as i have. (between my last post and this one, bout 20 min, i ran to the store, on the way back wasted two thugs in an old 98 style TL, when they cought up they commented on how loud it was when i got into VTEC, then went back to smoking whatever it is those evil thugs smoke )"

"Typhoon is the best for the money."

"I've just had my brother install a typhoon intake on my car 2 days ago. i practically got it free from a friend w/ a 2002 SI. I had the AEM cold air installed for about 4 months. I have just barely been able to drive since I was shot. the cold air feels more powerful on bottom, but the typhoon definately has more on top i think I might stay w/ the typhoon I think it sounds better also. The AEM makes my gears feel like shit. Its not smooth shifting w/ that thing installed. The typhoon is probably the best intake for the money. I will sell my cold air or maybe see if my friend can use it in his SI, maybe not but I will sell it for about $150. I should also try the AEM piping w/ the Typhoon filter it seems to be much better and larger. The typhoon rocks I should of gotten this a long time ago. Anyone interested in a cold air after I try the filter change. I will sell that POS cheap. The typhoon fits perfect no rattle or play like the AEM it has to many adjustments that need to take place after the install, and when you drive w/ it for a while. I think it rattles alot maybe I didn't install it right , but I had a shop do it for me Carboy of houston. email me or PM me and I will sell it. vtec switch over is alot stonger w/ the typhoon that filter it has is the shit. just my opinion. "

"I love my K&N Typhoon, 100% pleased. No rattles or cracks, sounds awsome, feels awsome."

SBC31
07-15-2002, 12:57 PM
Isn't that a short ram intake? Is there a heat shield with this one?

Brenetics
07-15-2002, 01:03 PM
here's more:

"Its super easy to put in! Only takes about an hour and 10 minutes if you take your time (which you should)... "

"THe TYphoon is not like the AEM short ram. THe AEM shortram in that picture has way more bends than the K&n. The cold air has more on bottom, but the K&n has more on top and IMO sounds better. Go w/ the typhoon it is the shit. "

"I have to also chime in on the K&N Typhoon intake. It is a much straighter design than the AEM, is dyno proven, bolts directly on with no problems and looks/sounds great."

"I am usually an advocate for Comptech, but K&N filters have higher flow rates and probably filte the nasty air crud just as well."

"I have an S. And run the TYPHOON i had the aem and sold it. It gave me problems and was very shitty IMO. It made my gears feel hard and needed constant adjustment. The injen is absolute shit also it has 3-4 heat shield generations because they all suck. After it heats up the gains are less than stock, it's chrome so it conducts heat better. THe typhoon is the best intake out. The filter on a typhoon is diff. than AEM and INJEN. This intake really wakes your car up and is built perfect. gains all across the Rev range"

"I have been waiting paciently do decide on an intake for about three months now and I took the plunge w/ the K&N. So far I love it! It came in the mail today, took about an hour to install, my buddy and I took our time. Installation was pretty straight forward, the directions were good, and everythign went smooth. I did unplug the negative terminal of the battery, thus resetting the ECU, then let it idle w/ no AC or radio on for 10 minutes the first time I started her up after the install. I took her out for a test spin, and wow it is awsome. You all have said that it really roars in vtec, but wow its like a beast! Its pretty unnoticable when just crusing, but at 6000, WEEEE! Anyways, here are some pics:"

Brenetics
07-15-2002, 01:04 PM
Not sure about the heat shield i think it is a sri.

another pic

Brenetics
07-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Oh yeah this one guy said prior to installing the K&N he was putting down 165hp to the wheel but afterwards it jumped to 176hp. He apologized for not having dyno slips to prove but he said he was dead honest.

SBC31
07-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Kewl I think I will have to find a Canadian distributor for this puppy.

Brenetics
07-15-2002, 01:17 PM
all the comments posted were from www.clubrsx.com

Pradamuimui
07-15-2002, 01:50 PM
I think that K&N is good stuff, but I bought a AEM CAI and Im just as plased wit it. Besidesit comes with a K&N air filter as well!!!!

HondaMan
07-15-2002, 03:39 PM
Doh! Free shipping (just ordered online). :p

O well, I plan to get the red replacement valve cover to match my red Typhoon. :)

TezGari
07-16-2002, 09:36 AM
I was gona order a AEM CAI for my Si, but now this K&N filter comes up...It is cheaper but i dont want to look at price i wasnt HP/Quaility. Which one is better and gives better performance. The AEM CAI goes down to the front bumber of the Si, i think its better than the K&N because the K&N goes back to the rear of the engine bay. i dunno some oene please explian, with Dyno's and pics. thanks

:confused: :confused: :confused:

SBC31
07-16-2002, 10:04 AM
Here's the part numbers for the intake in the various colors:

Blue: 69-1009TB
Polished: 69-1009TP
Red: 69-1009TR
Silver: 69-1009TS

HondaMan
07-16-2002, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I was going to get an AEM CAI but this K&N deal was hard to pass up. K&N is quality...they have been around a long time. I don't have any dyno results for the K&N but it advertises gains of 8-10hp & 10 torque. AEM CAI dyno results are 4.5hp & 5.5 torque.

I bet they are pretty close/closer in performance (plus/minus 1) i.e. the K&N stats are probably less and closer to the AEM CAI.

HondaMan
07-16-2002, 10:19 AM
Civic 2.0L L4 F/I Typhoon Intake Kit 69-1009TB SI only
Civic 2.0L L4 F/I Typhoon Intake Kit 69-1009TP SI only
Civic 2.0L L4 F/I Typhoon Intake Kit 69-1009TR SI only
Civic 2.0L L4 F/I Typhoon Intake Kit 69-1009TS SI only

69-1009TR = red Typhoon for our cars

http://www.knfilters.com/appinq.htm

Hope that helps! :)

HondaMan
07-16-2002, 10:21 AM
O well, SBC31 got them now...hehe!

MadMax
07-16-2002, 04:12 PM
First of all, I still have the stock airbox... so i am not biased. But if you are interested in dynos do a search at clubrsx. I havent seen any k&n dynos but there are several of aem sri, cai and injen sri. I have a hard time believing this would be any different from the other sri's as far as hp.
And before you say anything negative about the aem cai, you should take a look on clubrsx for user reviews of that. The cai is:
1. sucking in COLD air
2. sucking in high pressure air from the front of your car.

iow, it will make more power in real-world conditions that might not show up on a dyno.

SpacemanSpiff
07-16-2002, 05:33 PM
I'm willing to believe that the AEM CAI makes better power than the SRI. But there is also a thread on clubRSX right now by someone who hydrolocked their engine with the CAI. Since summer thunderstorms with heavy rain are a fact of life, I'm not willing to chance it.

Brenetics
07-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
I'm willing to believe that the AEM CAI makes better power than the SRI. But there is also a thread on clubRSX right now by someone who hydrolocked their engine with the CAI. Since summer thunderstorms with heavy rain are a fact of life, I'm not willing to chance it.

my reasoning exactly

stingyboy
07-18-2002, 08:43 PM
i gotta stop coming to these forums. a little reading then, BAM, out comes the visa with a K&N coming in the mail. *sigh* no self-control!

hope i like it! uh, what did i just order??

HondaMan
07-18-2002, 09:49 PM
LOL! I hear ya. :D

SpacemanSpiff
07-21-2002, 05:03 PM
Anyone received their intake yet???

DrPimpSiR
07-21-2002, 05:48 PM
I'm still waiting for my AEM from Contemporary Motorsports. It is due to be shipped tomorrow (at least that's when they said it should be out!) They were waiting for their order to come from Cali.

HondaMan
07-21-2002, 09:46 PM
I hope to have my K&N Typhoon by Wednesday.

stingyboy
07-21-2002, 09:49 PM
there's a pending charge on my CC now, so it must be on the way! anyone here have a k&n installed already?

HondaMan
03-25-2003, 11:11 AM
BUMP for folks interested in a good deal on the Typhoon...it could be a better deal now. Of course, the title of this thread should read Typhoon not Tornado...hehe. Hey Mod could you fix that...please? :)

hamproof
03-25-2003, 11:25 AM
Not as good as $150 shipped. Too bad I missed out on it.

HondaMan
03-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Doh! :(

Loudpedal
04-01-2003, 06:37 AM
Why is it that DC Sports intakes don't even show up on many peoples radar screens when getting an intake?

I had a DC Sports header on my old Si and was happy with the quality. As well a recent dyno comparo listed the DAC pretty much near the top of the charts in HP gains. I just don't get it, is it just that AEM and Injen are the "cool" intakes to have now?

btw hamproof, www.nopi.com has the DC Sports DAC intake for the Si on special for $152

taikahn
04-01-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Loudpedal
Why is it that DC Sports intakes don't even show up on many peoples radar screens when getting an intake?

I had a DC Sports header on my old Si and was happy with the quality. As well a recent dyno comparo listed the DAC pretty much near the top of the charts in HP gains. I just don't get it, is it just that AEM and Injen are the "cool" intakes to have now?

btw hamproof, www.nopi.com has the DC Sports DAC intake for the Si on special for $152

Its on my radar -- and on my car!

I love it. And it had the second highest peak gains of any CAI/SRI ... and its only $160 bucks.

kenis138
04-01-2003, 07:37 AM
I recently put in AEM short ram and have noticed the effect on the way the gears feel (like the K&N) vs. the CAI.

hamproof
04-01-2003, 07:40 AM
I checked it out. With shipping, it'll come to about $160. Not bad. But current situation doesn't allow me to spend money on an intake :(

Loudpedal
04-01-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by taikahn

Its on my radar -- and on my car!

I love it. And it had the second highest peak gains of any CAI/SRI ... and its only $160 bucks.

Do you have any pics of it installed? I'm seriously thinking about it and I'd love to see what it looks like on an EP. Also, do you have a choice of color for the 'collar' that clamps on between the intake manifold and the tube?

esmith13
04-01-2003, 09:45 AM
I had a K&N Typhoon as my first mod on my Si. I had it for 10 mos. It was worth EVERY penny I paid for it. I then added a thermal exhaust later. Better still...

However, I just (this week) installed an AEM CAI to replace the Typhoon.

It sounds meaner than the SRI. The high end performance seems to be just as good but no better than the Typhoon...

But the low end....

Let's just say, that after new wheels and sticker tires, with the SRI and exhaust I did not have enought torque to chirp 1st well and could no longer chirp second at all.

After switching to the AEM CAI, I GOT MY LOW END TORQUE BACK!!!

You would not believe how much better the car rides under NORMAL driving conditions with a little more low end torque.

Now that's not to say I have more torque than stock, but I know for a fact that the Typhoon, AEM, and Injen SRI LOOSE torque on the low end fairly badly....

Keep this in mind when you buy...

I got lucky and found a buyer for my SRI used to cover part of my losses on going full CAI later..

Sorry for the long post, but it seems some of you really wanted to know what the "real world" difference was on an EP.

My mods affecting this real world test (on before and after CAI/SRI):

Thermal Stealth Cat Back Exhaust
Exel GT-7 Wheels in 17" w/Hankook VENTUS tires 205/40r17
(mounted wheel/tire combo was 2lbs lighter than stock mounted)
93 octane gas -- all the time

Eric.

Brenetics
04-03-2003, 03:01 AM
wow i posted this awhile ago.

I still have mine, and I luuuuv it.

SiNi$t3R
04-04-2003, 12:30 AM
I see the ice box and im still tryin to figure it out. Is it a CAI or a short ram . I cant see if there is a pipe stickin out the bottom of the box.

Tenacious G
04-04-2003, 08:03 AM
the icebox is a combination of the two. it's a SRI design with a cold air extension. a tube goes down beneath the headlight to get cold air up to the filter in the box.

SiNi$t3R
04-05-2003, 02:00 AM
the icebox is a combination of the two. it's a SRI design with a cold air extension. a tube goes down beneath the headlight to get cold air up to the filter in the box.
Just wondering if the ice box would have a significant increase in horses rather than an SRI.

Shark
06-11-2003, 08:57 PM
I'm selling my Typhoon: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15313