PDA

View Full Version : Watermarks still not gone!

Tortoise
08-18-2008, 11:43 AM
I posted a thread about gettin rid of watermarks and im having no success! I washed it,used ice liquid clay bar, and mothers carnuba waxed it. It looks really good but from about 3 or 4 feet u can still see all the water marks all over it! What do i do? Please help!

charles
08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
try using real clay bar instead of that fake ice clay bar.

sLiCk
08-18-2008, 02:04 PM
ya use an actual clay bar and then use a light polish afterwards. it'll come off.

black05ep
08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I posted a thread about gettin rid of watermarks and im having no success! I washed it,used ice liquid clay bar, and mothers carnuba waxed it. It looks really good but from about 3 or 4 feet u can still see all the water marks all over it! What do i do? Please help!

that liquid clay bar isnt going to get rid of the water marks.a real clay bar might if u can actualy feel it in the paint the bar will probly help.i detail cars.usually a high speed buffer will work,depending on how bad it is usually tells u what kinda wax to use,most of the cars we get at work are really bad so we use synthetic,but 3m makes a swirlmark remover which that usualy works to,sometimes u dont need a buffer with that.that wax will also take some waterspots off windows with a super fine steel wool.

jw1
08-18-2008, 11:50 PM
I would go with 3M Finesse it.

I've never tried it on a car, just my jet skis, but I use Vinegar to remove waterspots on them. Use the 3M first though as it pretty darn good for cleaning up minor paint defects.

nightbear
08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
mothers wheel polish i have this same problem but mine is extreme and it takes too long for me to sit there all day polishing them im gonna get it detailed

JDMtunerEP3
08-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Bump For 3m Products!

They are by far the best!!!

Blackexcoupe
08-19-2008, 08:09 PM
I would go with 3M Finesse it.

I've never tried it on a car, just my jet skis, but I use Vinegar to remove waterspots on them. Use the 3M first though as it pretty darn good for cleaning up minor paint defects.Dilute the vinegar a bit before you apply it to paint. It should work on the water spots unless they have been on there too long. If it still doesn't come out then you will need to polish the paint. 3m is a good brand to start with for local auto store stuff.

Tortoise
08-20-2008, 12:35 AM
alright thanks guys.

Blackexcoupe
08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
A car I was working on today had horrible water spots, and the vinegar didn't help at all. I guess it is only good for light water etching and not for water spots that have been there for 3 months.

dmon
08-21-2008, 02:39 AM
theres a product that takes off water spots, i think. it contain an acid u put on a towel, and u put the towwel on the body, let it sit for 5 min and the water marks shoul;d be gone. but if it dosent come off, then the clear been etched by acid rain. hope this helps =D

bchaney
08-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Also make sure you're doing this in the shade when the car is cool.

nrengle
08-21-2008, 09:41 AM
I use this kit with really stubborn water spots if I'm not going to be doing a polish, just a "wash and wax."

http://www.autoint.com/autostore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=225

It works pretty good, not like a polish, but better than nothing. I only use this if not doing the clay/polish step since claying will induce a bit of micro marring.

classiccelica
08-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Damn I have had water spots on my car for a very very long time but can't get them off I have tried the fine cut by meguires and wax but still to no avail.

Matt
09-04-2008, 08:15 AM
dilute some "lime-away" with water and the spots will wipe right off. IT WILL NOT HURT THE FINISH. I've used lime-away to take dried concrete off of cars.

classiccelica
09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
How much should I dilute the lime-away?

ghatch69
09-04-2008, 03:30 PM
as last resort wet sanding and high speed buffing will do the job

Matt
09-05-2008, 09:19 AM
How much should I dilute the lime-away?

50/50 if that doesn't work, step it up. I've used it straight with no problems.

nrengle
09-05-2008, 10:20 AM
as last resort wet sanding and high speed buffing will do the job

This should be done by only a experienced professional. Never wet sand without some serious research and practice before you start on your car, or anyone elses. It's very very very easy to F it up quickly.

Type Stephen
09-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Unless you had some severe acid rain... a day of proper washing, claybar (not the fake garbage), polish, and waxing, it should come out fine. I have a feeling you sealed in your water spots by putting wax over it. Lol. Gotta strip the wax, polish, then rewax.

classiccelica
09-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Well if you are talking to me I tried for the longest time before I ever waxed it to get the spots off but I have not tried that lime-away yet.

nrengle
09-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I'd be very wary of Lime Away on any kind of paint. Look around online and see what peoples opinion is on it. I'm of the feeling of HELL NO! I'd say you need to do what was mentioned above. A proper wash, claybar (not that turtle wax liquid claybar, it's BS, and isn't even like the real thing), and a proper polish. If that doesn't work, see about a real detailer doing it, or there is another option. I highly recommend only a experienced detailer use this stuff. You can seriously hose something up if you don't know what you're doing.

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm

ep_hatcher_510
09-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Giving a car a good buff job usually does the job for me with watermarks. Also look online for good products like Zanio and all the other brands, sometimes the off the shelves products in store hardly does anything.

nrengle
09-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Totally agree. OTC stuff is ok for weekly maint. but it's not good enough to do the corrections. Get some Megs Mirror Glaze line polishes (their pro line), it's not too expensive. Or you can go the pricier route and get Menzerna products which are top notch, but will put a dent in the ole wallet.

classiccelica
09-06-2008, 01:13 PM
yeah I have the meguiors stuff but maybe I just didn't do it correctly. This was my first time doing any type of waxing. Anyone have good tips on proper waxing?

ep_hatcher_510
09-06-2008, 01:36 PM
What kind do you have? Meguiors got all different kinds of stuff

nrengle
09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
What he said!

You need a polish, and you'll need to do it by machine to get the water spots out. They can an will etch into the clear coat over time, and the only way to get rid of them is polishing, or wet sanding and polishing. But again wet sanding should only be carried out by a experienced person.

Cleaner wax isn't going to get it and neither is a light polish. You'll need something like Megs #95 or even #105 to get them out I bet.

Talk to a detailer...

Matt
09-09-2008, 07:33 AM
He got advice from a detailer..... Me. I've detailed thousands of cars, thousands. Lime-away won't hurt your paint. Put some on a rag and wipe away the water spots. It's pretty simple. Ignore my post count, I was near 2,000 before the site crashed.

classiccelica
09-09-2008, 08:26 AM
He got advice from a detailer..... Me. I've detailed thousands of cars, thousands. Lime-away won't hurt your paint. Put some on a rag and wipe away the water spots. It's pretty simple. Ignore my post count, I was near 2,000 before the site crashed.

I will try this today and post results so everyone can see. I am not saying you are wrong or anything of the sort just so people can see if it will work like I need it to then there is proof for you my brotha.

.rob
09-10-2008, 11:47 AM
compound and polish with a highspeed buffer.

ep-unit
09-11-2008, 12:23 AM

probably scratch the finish on the car with a highspeed buffer

nrengle
09-11-2008, 09:33 PM

I would only do this if you have had previous experience with it. If you haven't it can lead to lots of headaches quickly. And a lot of ruined paint.

classiccelica
09-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Well I couldn't get any pics of the water spots cuz the angle and lighting will just bleed them out, but I did try some lime away and it was working slowly but surely. These water marks have been on my car for almost over two years but, they are coming off.

kartl
09-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Hmm try basic first vinegar and rub it with old news paper... but still doenst work have it detailed.

My tails doesn't light up (http://www.autopartsdeal.com/blog/)

superchargedk20
09-12-2008, 08:16 PM
water marks are easy to get rid of. I have a black car so i know all about it. first dont wash ur car when the sun is fully out. if this sun is out and its hot the water is just gona dry on the car and ur gona have water marks everywhere. wash it closer in the evening. then I use the california water blade to get most of the water off. then use a comination of a shamey and terry cloth towels. I promise you ur water marks will disappear, then use whatever ur favorite wax is if neccessary

classiccelica
09-12-2008, 08:49 PM
I do use the california water blade, thing works miracles, but these water marks have been on the car for a little over two years. When I was living at my mother's house the sprinklers would get to it no matter where it was, and by the time I could get to it most of it was already dried up.:mcry:

Deadphishy
09-13-2008, 03:45 PM
I would get the car detailed with someone who is going to use a Rotary buffer and a foam pad to wax it. Should take them right off no problem.

Canuck Civic
09-14-2008, 12:24 AM
You can use a DA polisher yourself and it would be very difficult to damage the paint with that try that if you know somebody with one. Or just take it to a detailer and get them to use a rotary.
I have both and a rotary does a better job but one mistake and you can burn right to the primer.

The S
09-14-2008, 06:13 AM
wow not to be a dick but this has been going on for a long time, if you dont know how to wash and maintain the car then why own one? waterspots......come on! my little cousin (5 year old girl) washed my car and not a single spot on it!

Deadphishy
09-14-2008, 09:26 AM
wow not to be a dick but this has been going on for a long time, if you dont know how to wash and maintain the car then why own one? waterspots......come on! my little cousin (5 year old girl) washed my car and not a single spot on it!

He has had the SAME water spots on the car for two years. It's no like he can't wash his car without getting them. His paint is stained and he is having trouble getting it cleaned up. Thats the issue we are trying to solve.

And with all do respect...................and i mean with all do respect..

supremeSB
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm having the same problem. Bought the car with em.

Did the lime away work? i'm iffy that

salvatore
04-07-2010, 09:44 PM
did you try meguiars ultimate compound?

04-14-2010, 12:27 AM
I used CLR on my car for the first time yesterday. To give you some background my car has never seen a garage. It's an 02 with 74k miles, and is NHBP. My car spent lots of time drinking from our sprinklers. I have had horrible, (no seriously the worst water spot stains) for nearly 3 years. I literally gave up on them until I saw the post about the CLR. I mean, at this point, how much more harm could it do? Sweet jesus almighty, my car now has NO water spots. I'm talking about it previously looking like the carpet after a bukkake filming.

My procedure started with a simple dish soap wash to remove previous wax/polish/debris build up. (You don't have to use dish soap, if you're scared of damaging paint go to church. Plus if you're doing this, the paint isn't in that good of shape anyhow right?) I didn't dry the car, just straight to CLR application. Using a seperate bucket/sponge I went panel by panel with 50/50 water and CLR. (microfiber sponge ftw)
Let sit only for about 7-10 minutes, not long enough to dry.

Then I watched the immediate affect of it causing what appeared to be smoke coming from the suds. At first I went into panic mode and washed it off. Then I wiped it dry with a towel and low and behold, no water spots! I continued to do the rest of the car, piece by piece.

Afterwards I used some super sudsy car wash + carnuba wax to wash the entire thing. Dried it thoroughly and applied some wax. Good god, the car still has all the old scratchs/dents but those horrible water spots are gone! Thanks again for the tip, those who are weary of this, maybe you should try it on like the bottom of the rear bumper just to test it. But personally, it worked great on my car.

supremeSB
04-17-2010, 11:00 PM
can anyone verify this? CLR and glossy paint..Yeah my paint is in bad shape, but i don't want to make it any worse.