PDA

View Full Version : No resonator, stock muffler, how loud?

kenis138
11-25-2002, 11:03 AM
Hey all, initially was gonna get a resonator, but nreconsidering. Looking for responses from people who have Intake, header, custom midpipe, and stock exhaust.

Good= Low and rumbly, kinda loud when you get on it.

Bad=Hear me coming a 1/4 mile awayand at the same time annoying the piss out of me during daily driving.

Any input is appreciated, details are good!

kenis138
11-25-2002, 11:03 AM
oops, i meant stock muffler

CleanBlackSi02
11-25-2002, 12:47 PM
I had no resonator on my midpipe when I got it at first...sounds cheap and raspy as hell without it. Fast and quiet is better than loud and slow...and if you've gotta be slow (almost stock) quiet and slow is just better...that's why I don't have a loud exhaust anymore...

silver ep
11-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Fast and quiet is better than loud and slow...and if you've gotta be slow (almost stock) quiet and slow is just better...

without a doubt! ;)

natesi
11-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Sometimes raspy is good though, right? Like raspy from a GM 60 degree V6, or something--that's good.

But then I guess there's "rice raspy". That's definately bad.

So, it sounds kinda "ricy" then, right?

CleanBlackSi02
11-25-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by natesi
Sometimes raspy is good though, right? Like raspy from a GM 60 degree V6, or something--that's good.

But then I guess there's "rice raspy". That's definately bad.

So, it sounds kinda "ricy" then, right?
High pitched raspy = tinny sounding + annoying. I wonder if a different material for piping would make a difference tho...or maybe a small resonator... My resonator is actually a magnaflow muffler...

natesi
11-25-2002, 07:12 PM
So you have two mufflers then? It must be pretty quite, right?

How much do you think two mufflers restrict things?

CleanBlackSi02
11-25-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by natesi
So you have two mufflers then? It must be pretty quite, right?

How much do you think two mufflers restrict things?
Well, the muffler IS the resonator...it's pretty common practice to my knowledge. It's a 2.25" circular Magnaflow canister, so it's the same size as my piping...no more restriction... It's louder than stock at full throttle, but during normal driving it's just a bit deeper than stock.

natesi
11-25-2002, 08:52 PM
How much?

JSIR
11-27-2002, 06:45 AM
with stock muffler, custom midpipe and no resonator I find it only slightly louder than stock. I think it is pretty quiet, and I hate loud exhausts. My wife barely noticed it, and she notices everything that I change on my car, so that was a good sign. I like the sound, I relate it to the sound of a Ford Probe GT makes if you've ever heard one of them on the street.

kenis138
11-27-2002, 07:36 AM
Well, I just got the pipe w/o the resonator, and it is loud, but I dont think it sounds raspy or tinny at all, nice and deep. Same thing w/ my g/f, she rode in it and didnt mention the noise, so I know its not that loud.