PDA

View Full Version : Six speed speedometer gear

classiccelica
08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I just swapped an 03 type-s six speed tranny in my 03 si but my speedo is now 2-3 mph off, do I need to swap the speedo gear out for the type-s one?

classiccelica
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Come on people I really need some fast help. My speedometer is like 2-3 mph off. It is really bothering me, how do I fix it.

musashi1219
08-18-2008, 07:27 PM
dumb question but how do you know it was not 2-3 mph off before the swap and how do you know it is off now?

I believe the vss is the same on 03 ep and rsx

do you have k-pro? you can adjust it through there or you can move the needle but this has to be done while the car is moving and can be very difficult. oh and did you know that different OD tires can cause this incorrect speedo reading as well

classiccelica
08-18-2008, 07:30 PM
dumb question but how do you know it was not 2-3 mph off before the swap and how do you know it is off now?

I believe the vss is the same on 03 ep and rsx

do you have k-pro? you can adjust it through there or you can move the needle but this has to be done while the car is moving and can be very difficult. oh and did you know that different OD tires can cause this incorrect speedo reading as well

Yeah I know about the tires but mine was pretty on for a little, how do you do it in kmanager? I will try this, does it actually change what the computer is reading.

musashi1219
08-18-2008, 07:32 PM
i have not worked with k-pro in forever and cannot remember where it is at but it is in there. poke around. I would do it but I am all MAC and cant run k manager.

classiccelica
08-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Ah that sucks, how do you move the needle while the car is moving? I know I sound like a total noob but I don't know about this stuff yet.

bdooley
08-18-2008, 07:36 PM
its the same. essentially the type s trans is considered a "bolt-on" your speedo is off from you tires im assuming

musashi1219
08-18-2008, 07:37 PM
take the cluster out and remove the clear plastic cover and then pull the mph needle straight off.

get someone to drive in front of you at a set speed and hit your cruise control... put needle back on. probably wont get it right the first time because you did not account for the load the needle was going to put on the motor lol. Start all over again and dont fuck it up lol. It is not a safe way to do it and I do not recommend you try it.

is it 2-3 mph off across the entire range? or just at certain speeds?

classiccelica
08-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I really only had a chance to pace someone at 40 but 50 feels like 45-47 mph maybe it is because the lower rpm that is making me think it is slower.

classiccelica
08-18-2008, 07:44 PM
its the same. essentially the type s trans is considered a "bolt-on" your speedo is off from you tires im assuming

Well my tires are bigger than stock so wouldn't that make me faster than what my speedo is telling me, not slower?

v1c10us
08-18-2008, 08:11 PM
^ yes but the speedometer is bleedingly off to start with.
if you notice when you turn the car on the needle rises a little bit off of the rest point.
the faster you go the more off it gets, not at all unlike our horribly off RPM gauge too!

classiccelica
08-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah I solved that damn tach problem with autometer to help me. So should I get the same sized wheels and tires as the 03 type-s, by the way what size where those? Would the type-s guage cluster be more accurate, and are those interchangable with the ep?