PDA

View Full Version : Tire recommendatios?

PoRT
11-25-2002, 11:55 AM
ok, its time to finally order my tires. my rims will be shipped to me on the 6th of december. im torn between the kumho 712 ecstas, the toyo fz4's and the yokohama avs intermediate. i live in New Orleans (rains a lot) so i need something with good wet traction as well. it rains like twice a week here. i can get a set of 4 kumho's for $314 plus shipping. shipping is about $11 per tire. so we are lookin at roughly $360 for the kumho's. i havnt priced the other ones yet. but i want something sticky, i will be auto crossing and dragging. what are your opinions. i am ordering tomorrow. thanks ---Tim

goldy02
11-25-2002, 03:09 PM
yokohama es 100 that is all i will recomend to anyone

SPEEDEP
11-28-2002, 07:32 AM
The Yokos are good but if you want a tire that really performs and lasts spend a few more dollars and go with the Toyo T1S. Don't go with the Kumho my buddy almost died on a set of those.

pocketrocket
11-28-2002, 10:03 PM
I'm rolling on the Kumho's now... I'd say they're a great tire for the money. Also, go to any regional AutoX event and you'll probably see about 40% of the street tire classes running the 712's.

Good Luck
-PR

2k2civicSi
11-28-2002, 10:20 PM
im rolling on 712s too i like them alot more then the toyo proxs fz i had before

Cone Killer
11-29-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by pocketrocket
I'm rolling on the Kumho's now... I'd say they're a great tire for the money. Also, go to any regional AutoX event and you'll probably see about 40% of the street tire classes running the 712's.

Good Luck
-PR

You will also find the most competative street tire classed cars runing Falken Azenis.

FailureToStop
11-29-2002, 10:29 AM
I heard the Azenis were great (thats the tire I am planning to get)... but I don't think they are good all around (wet) tires. I would either go with the Yokohamas if you want to drive "normal" in the rain. Or get the Azenis and drive like a grandmother (like I do :D) when it rains.

BTW, the AVS Intermediates have been replaced by the Yokohama AVS ES100. You may be able to save a few bucks on the Intermediates. Or you may want to get the newer model ---- AVS ES100.

redronin22
11-29-2002, 10:41 AM
how are goodyears ?eagle hp?

PoRT
11-29-2002, 02:52 PM
damn G/F's christmas present caused me to not get the toyo T1s. i could get them for $125 a piece too!! *insert mad look*
Women.. cant live with 'em........... pass the beer nuts!

Ahh well, still deciding on the Yoko's or the kumho's... btw.. how did your friend almost die? this could be important

Cone Killer
11-29-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by FailureToStop
I would either go with the Yokohamas if you want to drive "normal" in the rain. Or get the Azenis and drive like a grandmother (like I do :D) when it rains.

I'd have to dissagree with you on that one. At first I was weary of thier rain performance, but a month ago at a rain soaked autocross course with standing water, I got 1st place in STS and 1st place overall pax time with my Azenis. Don't underestimate them.

myeverlovinsir
11-30-2002, 09:35 PM
thanks for the feedback cone killer.:D

hamlet9634
12-01-2002, 08:02 PM
as far as the 712's go.. quite simply, they suck. I ran a couple autox with them, and the tires developed a vibration that I mistook for a blown bearing, but the vibration vanished when i took the tires off the car and put on a set of azenis (so i know it was the tires). as far as grip goes, the 712's slide all over the damn place, specially when slightly overinflated.

if you're going to race at all, don't bother with the 712's. They may be fine for the street, and last forever with that 300 treadwear rating, and do well in rain, etc. etc., but they're worthless on the track and WILL get damaged under hi stress.

azenis is a great tire, and cheap, just a bit heavy for each application (about 2-3 lbs heavier than most other tires in the same class per tire).

<-- still looking for the right tire at the right price.. anybody have any input on the yokohama parada spec II?

hamlet9634
12-01-2002, 08:02 PM
as far as the 712's go.. quite simply, they suck. I ran a couple autox with them, and the tires developed a vibration that I mistook for a blown bearing, but the vibration vanished when i took the tires off the car and put on a set of azenis (so i know it was the tires). as far as grip goes, the 712's slide all over the damn place, specially when slightly overinflated.

if you're going to race at all, don't bother with the 712's. They may be fine for the street, and last forever with that 300 treadwear rating, and do well in rain, etc. etc., but they're worthless on the track and WILL get damaged under hi stress.

azenis is a great tire, and cheap, just a bit heavy for each application (about 2-3 lbs heavier than most other tires in the same class per tire).

<-- still looking for the right tire at the right price.. anybody have any input on the yokohama parada spec II?

pocketrocket
12-02-2002, 01:47 PM
Grassroots Motorsports reccomends the 712 as a great comprimise between an AutoX tire, track day tire, and an everyday tire. It's not the best at any single event, but it'll do it all, it'll do it all pretty damn well, and do it at 75 bucks a tire.

-PR

PoRT
12-02-2002, 04:48 PM
i went ahead with the yokohama ES100's i got them for $375 shipped.. thats about $81.00 a tire plus shipping ($12.50 ea)

hamlet9634
12-02-2002, 09:51 PM
lemme know what you think about the ES100's.

I'm stuck between them and the paradas. The tread LOOKS more aggressive on the parada, but i know the ES100 has steel inserts and is lighter overall andhas a lower treadwear rating (more gummy?). Was reading in a miata forum that the ES100 wasn't so good for road racing, but what do they know?:p