PDA

View Full Version : Alpine PDX 4.100 or Rockford Fosgate t600-4

3dkahuna
08-18-2008, 06:49 PM
So I am trying to decide on what amp to get to run my mids/highs. This will not be running a sub at all.

So which would you choose?

The Alpine PDX or the Rockford Fosgate T600-4

Alpine:
Pros - Small, Class D, etc
Cons - $

Rockford:
Pros - makes good power, better THD, etc
Cons - Cannot be mounted under seats :mangel:

Chad
08-18-2008, 07:05 PM
PDX, the honda needs all the help it can get in the efficiency department and the PDX amps are proven VERY worthwhile in that department, and SMALL!

They have a 5 Ch if you are thinking abut even a removeable sub ;)

3dkahuna
08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
yeah but the pdx-5 costs a pretty penny.

powdbyrice
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
so, do you want him to say the RF then?

3dkahuna
08-19-2008, 02:57 PM
no not all. I was merely commenting on the price difference. I personally have highly considered the alpine because of the space saving and Class D design. My post was to get a general consensus on what someone else would prefer. Currently as it stand i have had one response.

RAMSES EP3
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
alpine one is the best believe me i have two of them

VegaS10
08-19-2008, 03:50 PM
The Alpine is a fantastic amp.

newblackhatch
08-19-2008, 04:28 PM
The Alpine PDX series are excellent amps. Go for it.

Chad
08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
yeah but the pdx-5 costs a pretty penny.

Totally understand but they are coming down in price since the newness is wearing off. One still needs to consider a sub, if you NEVER plan to run one then there's no question that you should get a 4 channel, but if you are thinking about adding one later, is the price increase to the PDX5 less than the cost of a separate sub amp, distro blocks, etc and the loss of more space under the other seat?

JL is now making a smaller class D amp too I believe.

3dkahuna
08-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah I saw something about the HD600/4 by JL, Dimensionally it is close to the PDX, but has 50w more RMS per channel.

DJMOORE
08-20-2008, 11:28 AM
I have the same amp and it is pushing my Kicker ss series and it sounds great. It is small and fits under my seat hands down the best amp I have owned.

03Si757
08-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I got a PDX-1.1000 and by far the best mono block amp iv ever had. I *Used* to have the PDX 4.100 amp you speak of but was the only 4 channel amp Iv ever had, and that thing pushed the Infinity kappa perfects in the front and the 6x9's Alpine Type R's I had in the back of my CL and sounded fantastic! Not to mention the size, low heat, and stack ability which is pretty cool IMO.

RON
08-21-2008, 06:46 AM
I am going to go off the beating path! I would rock the Rockford. I have always like Rockford. I wouldn't want a class D amp running my components (prefference... I guess). And this rockford is a beautiful amp.

Rockford Fosgate t600-4
4-Channel Class AB Car Amplifier
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 150 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 300 watts x 2 chan.

Alpine PDX 4.100
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan.
4 ohms bridged: 200 watts x 2 chan.
Class D amplifier design

Chad
08-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Ain't nothing wrond with a class D amplifier running ful range as long as it's not a specified "subwoofer amp"

RON
08-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Ain't nothing wrond with a class D amplifier running ful range as long as it's not a specified "subwoofer amp"

I said it was preferrence!

And personnally; I am not a Alpine guy. The only thing about that PDX amp that I like is the stackable feature. But if it were my money I am buying the Rockford.

Say what you will but I have always had unbelieveable luck with Rockfords. I have two old school ones just sitting around incase I need them!

james04si
08-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Say what you will but I have always had unbelieveable luck with Rockfords. I have two old school ones just sitting around incase I need them!

punch 45's? I agree with you as well I am not a big fan of Alpine either but I am also not really a big fan of the newer RF either. I personally am a Kicker fan but it wasnt mentioned in the list. Get the features you want in the amp, if you want the stackability go for it. if you dont really care then dont. Honestly in my opinion if you choose any modern day good quality amp your splitting hairs to hear any difference, yes if you have a trained ear you can but who really notices when going down the road at 70mph? Either amp would make a good choice.

Chad
08-22-2008, 07:34 AM
I said it was preferrence!

And personnally; I am not a Alpine guy. The only thing about that PDX amp that I like is the stackable feature. But if it were my money I am buying the Rockford.

I think his main isue is efficiency (lack of heat) and sheer size, the PDX is tiny for it's power output! I've never been a big alpine amplifier supporter but am still looking at the PDX5 to tuck away in the wifey mobile.

RON
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I think his main isue is efficiency (lack of heat) and sheer size, the PDX is tiny for it's power output! I've never been a big alpine amplifier supporter but am still looking at the PDX5 to tuck away in the wifey mobile.

I hear you but I don't think heat is going to be that HUGE of a difference between these two to make that a deciding factor. I also know that those PDX's are small! Which for some people is a huge concern. For me... The difference in size isn't really that big of a deal... Amps are thin!

punch 45's? I agree with you as well I am not a big fan of Alpine either but I am also not really a big fan of the newer RF either. I personally am a Kicker fan but it wasnt mentioned in the list. Get the features you want in the amp, if you want the stackability go for it. if you dont really care then dont. Honestly in my opinion if you choose any modern day good quality amp your splitting hairs to hear any difference, yes if you have a trained ear you can but who really notices when going down the road at 70mph? Either amp would make a good choice.

Just got back from buying a new (used) amp. Found it on craigslist... Punch 250a2! I think I just found my new sub amp! And yes; it has both side pieces! $50!

03Si757
08-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I dont see how some people dont like alpine, Iv been using there products for over 6 years and NEVER had any problems (knocks on wood)

RON
08-25-2008, 06:03 AM
I dont see how some people dont like alpine, Iv been using there products for over 6 years and NEVER had any problems (knocks on wood)

It is just preferrence! I am just not an Alpine fan... No different then I like Fords and not Chevy's! Just what I like!

03Si757
08-25-2008, 10:47 AM
It is just preferrence! I am just not an Alpine fan... No different then I like Fords and not Chevy's! Just what I like!

Ya, I hear ya man.