PDA

View Full Version : clutch pedal noise

jcvett56
08-19-2008, 05:52 PM
My buddies ep makes a small cracking noise at the clutch pedal but he has no clutch issues, all gears engage properly, any ideas on how to fix this annoying noise, can we grease it up if so how do we do this properly?

Thanks In advanced

civicSIracer
08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
theres a TSB from honda on the master cylinder squeak. get a new one from honda

Stoop
08-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Most likely the clutch master cylinder is causing this.

There was a service bulletin from Honda for this that applied to 02-04 EPs (although I know some '05s had this too). Here's details:

SYMPTOM
A squeak, a twang, or a notchy feel when the clutch
pedal is pressed.

PROBABLE CAUSE
The clutch master cylinder spring is rubbing on the
outer diameter of the piston when the pedal is pressed,
or the master cylinder quick connect is moving.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the master cylinder, and apply a thin film of
silicone grease to the clutch line fitting.

Stoop
08-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Awww crap. See what happens when I start typing and then come back 10 minutes later to finish....:mconfused::mbiggrin:

Kerby
08-19-2008, 07:13 PM
might not be a bad idea to sticky this thread. I've seen alot of threads asking this question.

to add alittle more to what Stoop wrote, I dug this up and i'm quoting from what talonxracer posted acouple weeks ago

This is NOT a recall, it is only listed under the service bulletins.

NOPE this is a very common occurance. There is NO SPRING that parallels the CMC pushrod shaft.

The issue is that the pushrod end is a simple rounded off rod, this end rides within the end of the CMC's piston in a cup recess. This joint comes with NO LUBRICATION, what happens is over time the pushrod end develops a point and this digs in wearing it out even more, causing a screech and a click. If you replace the CMC, you must apply some grease into the end of the CMC to keep this from happening again.

polymorphic
08-20-2008, 07:41 AM
I've had my master cylinder replaced twice. I'm on my third now and it has begun to creak loudly again. Last night I adjusted the pushrod by loosening the nut, turning the rod slightly and tightening the nut back. The loud, horrible feeling creak is gone. No grease needed. Grease does help temporarily as I purchased some lithium grease last year, but in the long run, I don't think it's the master cylinder nor lubrication. The pushrod is just poorly designed, IMHO.

See this thread for a tip on adjusting the pushrod:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48936&highlight=pushrod

Note that the thread walks you through actually adjusting the clutch throw distance. You don't necessarily need to do that, but loosening the nut and just slightly twisting the pushrod will remedy the issue... treat the symptom... whatever.

sscott0203
08-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Does a service bulletin mean Honda replaces them free of charge or how does it work. Never have taken my cars to the dealership for anything besides 4 weel alignments.

skep18
08-20-2008, 08:05 AM
My buddies ep makes a small cracking noise at the clutch pedal but he has no clutch issues, all gears engage properly, any ideas on how to fix this annoying noise, can we grease it up if so how do we do this properly?

Thanks In advanced

If its a cracking noise, the clutch master cylinder and/or the slave cylinder needs to be replaced. There are rubber fittings within these cast-metal parts that often wear out and cause the clutch fluid (a.k.a. DOT3/4 Brake Fluid) to "leak". However, this leak is internal since the rubber parts are held within the metal parts so you may not have any loss of "clutch fluid" nor have it even affect the driving of the car and yet still have a bad clutch master cylinder and/or brake master cylinder.

I just replaced these two items in my '93 del Sol and upon inspection of the removed part, theres a boot that holds a small rod in on the slave cylinder and after removing this boot, clutch fluid had built up in there. This was becuase the inner rubber fittings had worn out and were no longer containing the clutch fluid within the proper confines of the slave cylinder. Again, the leak was only internal so I was not losing any clutch fluid but still this part had gone bad.

If the noise is just a squeek then yes, you may only need to grease up the pushrod on the clutch master cylinder under your interior dash. Lithium grease to be particular, DO NOT use a silicone compound. This will not stop the squeeking. But cracking usually isn't a simple grease issue. And yes, the squeek may come back after a while if greased, but that's usually becuase the grease just wears off. IMO, that's no reason to replace the clutch master, not to mention be on your third one. Simply grease it again or live with it. But without grease, it may wear out sooner or something.

skep18
08-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Does a service bulletin mean Honda replaces them free of charge or how does it work. Never have taken my cars to the dealership for anything besides 4 weel alignments.

Service Bullitens aren't fixed for free as far as I know. It's just a document released saying, "Hey, we've found this problem and here's how to fix it." Obviously though, if you're under warranty, you may have better luck.

polymorphic
08-20-2008, 08:22 AM
If its a cracking noise, the clutch master cylinder and/or the slave cylinder needs to be replaced. There are rubber fittings within these cast-metal parts that often wear out and cause the clutch fluid (a.k.a. DOT3/4 Brake Fluid) to "leak". However, this leak is internal since the rubber parts are held within the metal parts so you may not have any loss of "clutch fluid" nor have it even affect the driving of the car and yet still have a bad clutch master cylinder and/or brake master cylinder.

I just replaced these two items in my '93 del Sol and upon inspection of the removed part, theres a boot that holds a small rod in on the slave cylinder and after removing this boot, clutch fluid had built up in there. This was becuase the inner rubber fittings had worn out and were no longer containing the clutch fluid within the proper confines of the slave cylinder. Again, the leak was only internal so I was not losing any clutch fluid but still this part had gone bad.

If the noise is just a squeek then yes, you may only need to grease up the pushrod on the clutch master cylinder under your interior dash. Lithium grease to be particular, DO NOT use a silicone compound. This will not stop the squeeking. But cracking usually isn't a simple grease issue. And yes, the squeek may come back after a while if greased, but that's usually becuase the grease just wears off. IMO, that's no reason to replace the clutch master, not to mention be on your third one. Simply grease it again or live with it. But without grease, it may wear out sooner or something.

So, what would you say about my issue? I am on my 3rd master cylinder and have the loud creak which you can feel up through your leg. Also my warranty is expired and this MC was installed over a year ago. I believe (and I know nothing about cars, mind you) that the pushrod is contacting the spring somehow and has nothing to do with fluids or grease because engaging the clutch will always creak 3 times, then once more when released. It's like the rod is catching the spring and the spring pops off, then the rod catches it twice more on the way in. It's not a squeek or grinding, which is what a lack of grease would cause, but more of a catch and release of a spring.

I think the service bulletin, which Honda applied to my '05 model even though the bulletin only covers the '02 - '03 models, is more for the master cylinder failing which is what you are talking about with grinding parts due to the failure to hold fluids and grease. My issue is different and being that it's my third MC sounds more like a defect in the rod itself.

krntiger
08-20-2008, 08:23 AM
alot of people have had the same problem including myself. i have remedied the probelm with a bottle of WD-40 in my trunk but what held the most was probably using lithium grease around the clutch area and it sounds fine. the only time that it starts to squeak for me is around the winter time.

Sir1982
08-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Master cylinder squeak, i had the same problem that was occuring, was fixed by Honda

skep18
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
So, what would you say about my issue? I am on my 3rd master cylinder and have the loud creak which you can feel up through your leg. Also my warranty is expired and this MC was installed over a year ago. I believe (and I know nothing about cars, mind you) that the pushrod is contacting the spring somehow and has nothing to do with fluids or grease because engaging the clutch will always creak 3 times, then once more when released. It's like the rod is catching the spring and the spring pops off, then the rod catches it twice more on the way in. It's not a squeek or grinding, which is what a lack of grease would cause, but more of a catch and release of a spring.

I think the service bulletin, which Honda applied to my '05 model even though the bulletin only covers the '02 - '03 models, is more for the master cylinder failing which is what you are talking about with grinding parts due to the failure to hold fluids and grease. My issue is different and being that it's my third MC sounds more like a defect in the rod itself.

There aren't any "springs" withing the CMC or even the slave cylinder. The resistive force is all hydraulically linked through hoses and the only thing pushing back on your foot/pedal is the release bearing or something within the transmission itself. The whole system from the transmission housing to the pedal is hydraulically controlled. Hence, if you drain the clutch fluid totally, the clutch will drop to the floor and not push back against your foot.

But from my experience, if the noise is just like a squeek or creek, lubricate it with lithium grease from the inside of the car on the pushrod and see if this stops the issue. If it still creaks, then maybe you need to replace the slave cylinder (which costs squat if you can replace it yourself; that is the replacement part is cheap). However, I have a hard time thinking your CMC has gone bad seeing as how it's been replaced twice.

Furthermore, I haven't exactly heard the noise, but if you can hear it comming from the pedal, it's most likely the grease issue. But if it's coming more from the engine bay, then I'd maybe start to think about the pressure plate and/or release bearing inside the transmission, but this seems to be very unlikely. But again, I'm not there to hear it...

skep18
08-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Ok, so I just drove my EP3 and noticed a very faint "clicking" noise when depressing the clutch. It seems to only happen when totally stopped at the beginning of the pedal depression, I'd say withing the first 1/5 to 1/4 of the pedal swing. If it happens while driving, I most certianly can't hear it over the road and engine. I can't really feel it either, maybe slightly at best.

Now, I know if this were worse, I'd have a CMC/slave problem, but IDK if it's an issue that needs attention or not being the faintness of the noise. For this reason, I have a friend I will be giving some parts to either today or tomorrow. He owns his own performance shop during the night and during the day he works as a mechanic at the Honda Dealership. I'm gonna let him drive the car and see what he thinks. Once I know more, I'll let you all know. Also, while I'm there, I'll ask at what point does this noise usually mean problems and, in his experience, what parts do these usually affect. I believe I know what he's going to tell me, but just to hear it from him, we'll wait and see.

polymorphic
08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Interesting, thx, skep18. My issue seems to be at the clutch pedal, if not a little farther into the floor, but not in the engine bay. Lithium grease helped a couple years ago, but it came back. This time I simply twisted the pushrod ever so slightly and it is smooth as butter, so I dunno. I'd be interested to know what your friend thinks.

jcvett56
08-20-2008, 07:41 PM
dang tons of replies on this issue, thanks a lot I just informed him

bigo711
08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
i had the same issue, but i had it replaced under warranty.

the noise comes back after 2 years of driving. in my case, the noise comes back every two years. don't bother spending the money replacing it if it's not serious.

lordhelmet
08-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Adjust the pedal stop (the thing with the button on it that determines when the pedal is depressed or not) ever so slightly so the pedal stops a little bit lower.