PDA

View Full Version : HFP or stay OEM

66elwood99
08-19-2008, 08:55 PM
I have 109,000 on my 02 and been lowered for approximately 100000 of them on Tein Sport Springs. What is the recommended life of the oem struts and should I take advantage of Stoops great offer on the HFP suspension or change the struts and stick with the tein springs?

ep_hatcher_510
08-19-2008, 09:45 PM
hfp if you can get a good price on it, if not get something like d specs struts.

if i was in your place i'd get the HFP. it's oem accessory.

you can't go wrong changing your suspension at that mileage.

EPSU3
08-19-2008, 09:52 PM
well you know what my answer is, I'm getting the HFP.... after I buy books that is

jw1
08-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I'd seriously consider just getting some new struts and shocks at this point.

mustclime
08-20-2008, 05:26 AM
I would get this in a hart beat if I was in your place.....

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51841

I would plan on replacing the tie rod ends if I was you also.

powdbyrice
08-20-2008, 02:41 PM
do it! OEM quality! love my hfp.

pynikal
08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
totally!!!!!

HFP is OEM:mtongue::mtongue::tehehyper:

66elwood99
08-21-2008, 03:29 PM
HFP is OEM:mtongue::mtongue::tehehyper:

LOL I guess technically you are correct, I should had asked "Originally equipped" compared to HFP.........

v1c10us
08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I say go with HFP and replace your bushing while your down there, grease as much stuff up as you are willing and replace your tie rod ends with corsport or something.

Lucid Moments
08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
If my car were still a daily I would have either the HFP or the Mugen and I'm not sure which one I would choose.

OZ.EP3
08-22-2008, 06:34 PM
I ran Koni Yellow struts and Tein S-tech springs on my 02, very comfortable ride and not bouncy at all for a dd.

bizarroxxx
08-22-2008, 06:35 PM
what do the hfp's come with?

^^ struts and springs.

it lowers the car by about 0.75"

BeaterEP
08-31-2008, 05:40 PM
I've been drooling over Stoop's deal on the HFP suspension, too.

For those that have it, how much nicer is the handling vs. the stock suspension? I'm definitely looking to upgrade, and the time's right since I'm approaching 150k miles on my EP. I'm just curious how much of a difference there really is.

TIA.

civictype_r04
09-08-2008, 10:09 AM
If I do get the HFP kit would I be able to change out the springs for progress ones instead of the hfp ones?

mustclime
09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
If I ao get the HFP kit would I be able to change out the springs for progress ones instead of the hfp ones?

sure if you want to make the car handle worse........:mangel:

civictype_r04
09-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Ok I was just wondering if it would work?

mustclime
09-08-2008, 10:23 AM
hfp are a 3/4 drop because that is the best local for the suspension to work...If you hate wheel gap, get a larger wheel and tire combo.

Kumar
09-08-2008, 10:27 AM
If I remember correctly somebody in California back in 04/05? swapped progress springs on the HFP struts and had no problems. The life of the struts would lower of course so in the end not worth swapping. If you want to go little lower go with the Mugen SS.

civictype_r04
09-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I have 215/45 17s and I think there will still be wheel gap. Im gonna go with d specs and progress springs or h&r's then.

powdbyrice
09-08-2008, 10:41 AM
I have 215/45 17s and I think there will still be wheel gap. Im gonna go with d specs and progress springs or h&r's then.

yes, like 1.5" wheel gap.

powdbyrice
09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
I've been drooling over Stoop's deal on the HFP suspension, too.

For those that have it, how much nicer is the handling vs. the stock suspension? I'm definitely looking to upgrade, and the time's right since I'm approaching 150k miles on my EP. I'm just curious how much of a difference there really is.

TIA.

definitely handles better than stock. how much better? if i had to put a number on it, if stock is a 3, then HFP would be a 6, maybe a 7 out of 10. there is still room for improvement. i assume, mugen would probably be 8, short of 9. is mugen worth twice the price of the HFP? doubt it.

HFP ride is a bit firmer around town, but not uncomfortably so. thru the hills it firms up nicely. when i changed my suspension from stock, i didn't tell my wife, and she couldn't tell. :mbiggrin: :mangel:

powdbyrice
09-08-2008, 10:50 AM
If I remember correctly somebody in Californica back in 04/05? swapped progress springs on the HFP struts and had no problems. The life of the struts would lower of course so in the end not worth swapping. If you want to go little lower go with the Mugen SS.

one of the former vendors swapped in eibach springs, whichever ones have the ~1.5" drop. said it was nice. looked better too.

mustclime
09-08-2008, 10:53 AM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/pergamos/riceticket.jpg

Blue03Si
09-08-2008, 11:40 AM
If you already have springs I would suggest just getting new struts.

civictype_r04
09-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Yea get new struts.

powdbyrice
09-08-2008, 02:49 PM
its hard to say. i dont know what the drop on the progress springs is. but if its 1.5"+, then i wouldnt expect them to last long.

i've put on 100k miles on them, granted its 99% commuting and 1% hard driving.

definitely handles better than stock. how much better? if i had to put a number on it, if stock is a 3, then HFP would be a 6, maybe a 7 out of 10. there is still room for improvement. i assume, mugen would probably be 8, short of 9. is mugen worth twice the price of the HFP? doubt it.

HFP ride is a bit firmer around town, but not uncomfortably so. thru the hills it firms up nicely. when i changed my suspension from stock, i didn't tell my wife, and she couldn't tell. :mbiggrin: :mangel:

do you have any experience with mugen? i'm probably going to buy the HFP soon to replace them.

i'm currently on a used set of mugen ss. i've put maybe 15k on them, with another 8k from the previous owner (about 25k total). i feel all the road bumps and cracks, but it could possibly be my tires. i was satisfied with them when i first installed them, but now i feel that the ride quality is getting pretty poor.

i hope the HFP lives up to the expectations.

powdbyrice
09-08-2008, 04:36 PM
i dont. i've only been stock and HFP.

talk to stoop. he's one of the few that have had both the HFP and the mugen.

if you're looking for something that isnt quite as firm at the mugen, hfp is it. you'll lose ~.5" of drop tho too.

Blue03Si
09-08-2008, 04:49 PM
i dont. i've only been stock and HFP.

talk to stoop. he's one of the few that have had both the HFP and the mugen.

if you're looking for something that isnt quite as firm at the mugen, hfp is it. you'll lose ~.5" of drop tho too.

From what I understand you'll lose about .75", but it should be a more stock like ride. I talked to Stoop on the phone about the HFP kit and he asked me what I wanted out of it. I told him I wanted better handling for auto-x. He told me to skip the HFP and just go Mugen. That's kind of what I was leaning toward anyway, it just sealed the deal.

MugsyTheGr8
09-08-2008, 04:56 PM
save your self the trouble and buy a set of blues, d-spec, konis... why bother getting the kit if your gonna throw out the springs the dampers were intended to be used with. it just seems silly to me.

BeaterEP
09-08-2008, 06:56 PM
save your self the trouble and buy a set of blues, d-spec, konis... why bother getting the kit if your gonna throw out the springs the dampers were intended to be used with. it just seems silly to me.

^^That.
Why the hell would you buy a suspension setup that's been tuned by Honda to work with itself, then screw with it?

Doesn't make sense to me.

And thanks for the info earlier, think I'll be picking up the HFP package soon.

icarus.na
09-08-2008, 10:47 PM
hfp are a 3/4 drop because that is the best local for the suspension to work...If you hate wheel gap, get a larger wheel and tire combo.

what rim/tire combo are you running in your signature pic musty?

i'm sold! if it passed the wife test, then my GF should have no problem with it too...she never complained about the stock ride which is on the stiffer side compared to her toyota.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/pergamos/riceticket.jpg

LMAO, i'm printing a couple of these out, fill 'em out, and leave them on cars.

mustclime
09-09-2008, 05:33 AM
what rim/tire combo are you running in your signature pic musty?

225/45-17.....I have rolled the rear fenders and am running -2 degrees camber in the ft and -1.0 camber in the rear......the big thing is your wheel offset, you need at least 42mm

mustclime
09-09-2008, 05:41 AM
for anyone that has questions about the hfp suspension, read this......

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1425&page_number=3

Quote:

Unanimously heralded as one of the best-handling cars in our group, the Civic Si benefits enormously from the HFP's well-executed performance package. True, it could still use some help in the engine and braking departments, but given its humble beginnings, this upgraded Si is definitely headed in the right direction. Hey, HFP, how about some extra ponies?

:mwink:

BeaterEP
09-09-2008, 06:05 AM
for anyone that has questions about the hfp suspension, rear this......

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=39&article_id=1425&page_number=3

Quote:

Unanimously heralded as one of the best-handling cars in our group, the Civic Si benefits enormously from the HFP's well-executed performance package. True, it could still use some help in the engine and braking departments, but given its humble beginnings, this upgraded Si is definitely headed in the right direction. Hey, HFP, how about some extra ponies?

:mwink:

Sold!

EPSU3
09-09-2008, 09:46 AM
ordered mine from stoop last week. should be in thursday. I'd like to throw them on when I get them, but I think my stock suspension is going to take up this one last PA winter. I get to commute a 3 hour round trip each day, so I'm trying to get every penny out of my stock set up.

Blue03Si
09-09-2008, 09:50 AM
ordered mine from stoop last week. should be in thursday. I'd like to throw them on when I get them, but I think my stock suspension is going to take up this one last PA winter. I get to commute a 3 hour round trip each day, so I'm trying to get every penny out of my stock set up.

Time to get good at swapping out your suspension every 6 months :mbiggrin: Make the stock and HFP last even longer :mcool:

drjd888
09-09-2008, 12:41 PM
A set of coilovers with a higher spring rate and adjustable dampening lowered .75" would handle better than the HFP right?

civictype_r04
09-09-2008, 01:27 PM
A set of coilovers with a higher spring rate and adjustable dampening lowered .75" would handle better than the HFP right?

Yea they would I think thats why most go with coilovers in the first place.

civictype_r04
09-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Yea they would I think thats why most go with coilover in the first place. I have mine lowered an inch and a half and love the way it handles. But I'm selling them cause I'm moving out.

MugsyTheGr8
09-09-2008, 02:37 PM

it would depend on the tires. the tires are the starting point and then you choose suspension from there. the higher spring weight would be good if you were running r-compounds but if you run summer tires or all seasons like what most members on here run, than the hfp will be adequate for your daily needs.

most people here get coilovers because when they hear that the hfp or mugen respectively a .75" and 1.5" drop over stock they opt to get the cheaply built and more widely available coilover so they can slam their car to suit their taste.

civictype_r04
09-09-2008, 02:45 PM
it would depend on the tires. the tires are the starting point and then you choose suspension from there. the higher spring weight would be good if you were running r-compounds but if you run summer tires or all seasons like what most members on here run, than the hfp will be adequate for you daily needs.

most people here get coilovers because when they hear that the hfp or mugen respectively a .75" and 1.5" drop over stock they opt to get the cheaply built and more widely available coilover so they can slam their car to suit their taste.

Why say cheaply built? Most coilover companys take a lot of r&d to make them.

MugsyTheGr8
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
not as much r&d as the hfp, mugen, or aspec, which are built within the factory specifications of the car. and, for the most part they are cheaply made dampers with a little knob put on top, to make you think you are getting a better performing product.

powdbyrice
09-09-2008, 10:32 PM

most? as musty will point out, MOST have the spring rates WRONG! hows that for "lots of r&d?" maybe overall r&d, but r&d specific to the EP3, not so much.

powdbyrice
09-09-2008, 10:35 PM
not as much r&d as the hfp, mugen, or aspec, which are built within the factory specifications of the car. and, for the most part they are cheaply made dampers with a little knob put on top, to make you think you are getting a better performing product.

you mean like adding the hyped up features? pillow ball mounts, 9000-way adjustable, inverted quadruple tube multivalve coilovers in all the colors of the rainbow?

BTW: READ THIS. WOW!
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=559012&highlight=taiwan

icarus.na
09-09-2008, 11:08 PM
you mean like adding the hyped up features? pillow ball mounts, 9000-way adjustable, inverted quadruple tube multivalve coilovers in all the colors of the rainbow?

that was a good read. thx!

mustclime
09-10-2008, 05:18 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:...no wait.....:rofl::rofl::rofl: your killing me.....I have to move on or I am going to hurt myself........

blackyEP3
09-10-2008, 09:13 AM

MAD CAMBER YO! Whats the CN version of that thread?? Taiwan made suspension FTL?

civictype_r04
09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Yea I agree Taiwan made suspensions are crap! But what about real companies like Buddyclub that are made in Japan they know what they are doing.

MugsyTheGr8
09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
buddy club makes one good set of dampers(rsd) and you still have to buy springs to make them not suck fully.