PDA

View Full Version : Harm with Changing Oil Brands

skep18
08-20-2008, 08:45 AM
royal purple is great.. very smooth, but i would reccoment amsoil over rp. its awesome. also, you shouldn't switch oils too much i hear.

I've heard this too and it sounds like it makes sense, but does anyone know the real reason why? Does this include changing oil brands while keeping the same oil specs? For example, is there harm in changing from Castrol 5W-30 to Valvoline 5W-30? Or does the problem only arise when you change from 5W-20 to 5W-30 to "whatever"W-"whatever" too much?

Thanks for any input, but please don't make stuff up. "cough" like the Delete ABS thread.... "cough"

sleepy_ep
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Its fine, everyone does it, just keep the same vicosicity (sp?)

Lucid Moments
08-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Change all you want. From brand to brand, change viscosity, from dino squeezings to synthetic and back. As long as you use a good product within a proper weight for your usage it just doesn't matter.

revelations
08-20-2008, 08:59 AM
You "may" notice this if you race your car in a 24hr Lemans kind of thing... haha... going to Dino oil from Synthetic for eg.

skep18
08-20-2008, 08:59 AM
But has anyone else heard this now seemingly "urban legend" that it's bad to do that?

skep18
08-20-2008, 09:00 AM
You "may" notice this if you race your car in a 24hr Lemans kind of thing... haha... going to Dino oil from Synthetic for eg.

lol, I do this all the time, what are you talking about? (hahaha :mbiggrin:)

Lucid Moments
08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
But has anyone else heard this now seemingly "urban legend" that it's bad to do that?

I've heard it before, its been floating around for a while along with a lot of other myths.

Rep
08-20-2008, 09:40 AM
It's a bunch of crap. Use whatever seems reasonable. I've gone from traditional oil to synthetic with over 100,000 on a car. It doesn't matter. I've changed weights as well.

skoundrelusa
08-20-2008, 09:59 AM

Heard this mumbo jumbo. Went from using Mobil 1 synthetic to Castrol GTX (5w30 for both) on my built B18C5. The only change, was more money in my pocket from not wasting it on bullshit synthetic :P

Rep
08-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Heard this mumbo jumbo. Went from using Mobil 1 synthetic to Castrol GTX (5w30 for both) on my built B18C5. The only change, was more money in my pocket from not wasting it on bullshit synthetic :P
Synthetic oil is about as silly as K&N filters. All bullshit.

beechstreet
08-20-2008, 10:10 AM

untrue. most conventional oils show to break down around 5K while some synthetics have shown to go to 10k or 15K and beyond without significant breakdown. go check out some UOAs at BITOG. but i do agree that K&N oil filters suck

BobSassafrass
08-20-2008, 10:57 AM
And how many people only change their oil every 10k miles? I'm sure most ephatchers are too apranoid to ever let that happen. So if you're gonna change it every 5k anyway why not use traditional.

talonXracer
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM

Most untrue my friend, the synthetics have been shown to protect far better when you are not driving like grandma Methuselah. The long term use of dino oil will lead to bearing issues on turbos.

As long as you use the appropriate OIC, changing brands of oils will have no bearing on engine life for the most part. You do need to make sure it is a quality oil. An auto enthusiast usually drives a bit harder than the average driver so added protection is not a bad idea.

skoundrelusa
08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
untrue. most conventional oils show to break down around 5K while some synthetics have shown to go to 10k or 15K and beyond without significant breakdown. go check out some UOAs at BITOG. but i do agree that K&N oil filters suck

I'm sure everyone here basically changes their oil around 3k though. Both conventional/dino and synthetic users. So its still a waste.

And how many people only change their oil every 10k miles? I'm sure most ephatchers are too apranoid to ever let that happen. So if you're gonna change it every 5k anyway why not use traditional.

Exactly. Since most people change it at 3k anyway, why not just do more frequent changes on cheaper but decent oil such as GTX rather than spending $65+ a change on Mobil 1

icarus.na
08-20-2008, 11:17 AM
synthetic feels just so OHHHH SILKY SMOOOOVE over conventional.

i like having it in the back of my mind that i'm giving my baby the best.

talonXracer
08-20-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm sure everyone here basically changes their oil around 3k though. Both conventional/dino and synthetic users. So its still a waste.

Exactly. Since most people change it at 3k anyway, why not just do more frequent changes on cheaper but decent oil such as GTX rather than spending $65+ a change on Mobil 1

I have seen dino oil breakdown well before 3K miles, I also see the end results dailey when they come thru the shop needing new bearings and crank. I get 6K miles on the Amsoil with a filter change at 3K. I would rather pay a little more for quality than be a cheapskate and have to visit my shop looking to get a engine rebuilt for cheap! LOL, Just keep on making me money guys, I LOVE IT !!!!

Rep
08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Have you seen this breakdown? Do you look at that drained oil and go "Oh man, my oil was broken, I'm glad I changed it." :mbiggrin:

Most untrue my friend, the synthetics have been shown to protect far better when you are not driving like grandma Methuselah. The long term use of dino oil will lead to bearing issues on turbos.

As long as you use the appropriate OIC, changing brands of oils will have no bearing on engine life for the most part. You do need to make sure it is a quality oil. An auto enthusiast usually drives a bit harder than the average driver so added protection is not a bad idea.
With a turbo, I'd consider synthetic, but on an NA motor, I really don't think it matters. I've abused all manner of NA motors with and without synthetic and I've never noticed a difference. It may be because I change oil every 3k to 5k.

talonXracer
08-20-2008, 11:35 AM
At the RPM's that we are spinning these engines at, a dino oil just doesnt last or handle the rpm's, as I said above, just keep that attitude and make me more money.

Rep
08-20-2008, 11:40 AM
At the RPM's that we are spinning these engines at, a dino oil just doesnt last or handle the rpm's, as I said above, just keep that attitude and make me more money.
lol. I was banging the rev limiters in all the single cams I had. Like 6,800 RPM :tehehyper:

dogula
08-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I have been running Castrol synthetic since about 30k and now have 100k. I don't know that it runs any better on it. I couldn't detect any difference. The only reason I go synthetic is because I always wait until 5k before I change it. I can put synthetic in it myself for about 35 bucks or have a shop put dino oil in it and maybe forget to put the plug back in or something for the same price................... so i do it myself. If your changing it every 3k just by a decent brand with the correct weight.

skep18
08-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, I always change every 3K miles no matter what. Changing the oil is the best thing you can do to make your car last short of not hitting walls. Also, I've used Castrol Synthetic for the past 2 years. Now, I dunno if it does anything at all, but for at max, an extra $15 over buying non-synthetic each oil change, I'll take the plunge. Again, it may not do squat, but it brings my mind at ease.

But on the off chance this makes sense, since conventional oils "break down" sooner, wouldn't this mean over the 3K miles, they provide a lesser standard of lubrication over the longer lasting synthetic? Wether it's fully broken down yet or not, wouldn't it be more "on its way" if you will?

But again, at this point, it's tit for tat. I don't think in the end, you'll really be able to tell the damn difference. Worst case scenario, you save money by using regular oil and that saved money is spent on new bearings.... Best, you buy regular oil and car runs fine until you sell it/another problem arises/you total it... lol.

Rep
08-20-2008, 12:32 PM
I've never had this "bearings wear down" issue we all seem to fear. I'm sure talon has alot of experience with it as a professional and i'm not doubting his claims. I've just never had this problem and I tend to enjoy my cars as much as possible which staying on top of regular maintenace. Maybe I'm just lucky?

skep18
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I've never had this "bearings wear down" issue we all seem to fear. I'm sure talon has alot of experience with it as a professional and i'm not doubting his claims. I've just never had this problem and I tend to enjoy my cars as much as possible which staying on top of regular maintenace. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Me either. But yea, he works at some shop it sounds like so it makes sense he'd see it. But never ran into myself either.

talonXracer
08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
I've just never had this problem and I tend to enjoy my cars as much as possible which staying on top of regular maintenace. Maybe I'm just lucky?

As long as you stay on top of the maintenance I am sure your engine will last alot longer than most, for that simple fact.

But when you really start pushing the performance levels then the synthetics provide some added protection. There is also a very measurable whp gain from say Amsoil/RP/RL over any dino oil I have seen or used. When you are NA any WHP gain that you can scrape together is a plus. If you can remove friction with the lubricants, then you gain power.

EPSU3
08-20-2008, 07:33 PM
I switched back and forth all the time with my H22. Most of my seals and gaskets started going bad around 130k. I figured it was the synthetic to conventional switching, but later found out the previous owner just beat the piss out of the lude weekly.