PDA

View Full Version : Crank Pulley bolt

02_epdriver
08-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Does anyone have any special teqniques on loosening the crank pulley bolt.

Refresh me do you have to loosen it clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Trying to replace the water pump.

shadowmd
08-20-2008, 09:57 AM
counter clockwise! always counter clockwise. but if u have a good impact and air compressor. going loose then tighten then loose then tighten then loose might help

frm_808
08-20-2008, 10:03 AM
can u really get an impact in there? use some kind of wd40 or some other lube breaker and let it sit for a while. this will also help. but do clean it off when u get the nut off. dont want this thing loosening on you when driving

02_epdriver
08-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I read another thread just reworded my search. I thought it was counter clockwise just making sure.

Thanks

03Si757
08-20-2008, 01:58 PM
a light impact wrench worked for me once i got a hold of one, only 225 ft.lbs i believe, i just hydrolocked it and it worked like a charm. By Hyrdolock I mean filling it fully with fluid for just the 1 second it took.

talonXracer
08-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Most of the time that bitch is very tight. WD40 and stuff will not help one bit, it isnt rusted on there.

jeffgeezer
08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
put ur car on the lift and use a super strong 19mm socket, breaker bar, and prolly a cheater bar. you really need leverage for this one. jack don't help at all unless ur using a strong impact. and yes it's counter clockwise. lefty loosey, righty tighty. although loosening and tightening back and forth with an impact gun helped me a lil bit. don't forget the pulley holder. if you don't have it, open the flywheel case and stick something in there to prevent the crank from rotating. just did mine again today for the second time. really a pain in the ass. when you get it loose, there's be a sound that sounds like something snapped. don't be afraid of it. that's just how tight it is. make sure nothing really snaps though. btw, you don't need to take the crank pulley off to replace the water pump. what are you really trying to do?

EPSU3
08-20-2008, 08:46 PM
took about 20 mins to get fico's off last weekend. bent a wrench. I think the impact gun and a huge cheater pipe did the trick. a lot of grunting.

MR.Pizza
08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Used a 1/2 inch breaker with a 3 foot cheater and it was still unbelievable how it didn't want to budge.

02_epdriver
08-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Ok, I got the bolt of with some map gas on the head of the bolt and a impact.

My question now is I read through my haynes manuel in which I know sucks ass. I need a honda service manual.

So my manual says single cam enignes torque the crank pulley 181ft lb and dual cam engines 36 ft lb plus additional 90 degrees. That must be crap.

Honda service manual on here says 181ft lbs does that go for all engines in that manual?

The new Paul03
08-22-2008, 09:34 PM
when I put mine back on I just used the impact a couple of times when the tank was at max psi.

frm_808
08-22-2008, 10:08 PM
haha not good man, torque spec is req. IMO

02_epdriver
08-22-2008, 10:26 PM
So by the service manual in the DIY thread it reads 181 ft lbs. So I will torque it to that spec. You should always torque to spec that is why they have torque specs.

Too tight and you can break something and too light you can leak something or have a chance of something falling of and then you are F@%ked.

frm_808
08-22-2008, 10:57 PM
So by the service manual in the DIY thread it reads 181 ft lbs. So I will torque it to that spec. You should always torque to spec that is why they have torque specs.

Too tight and you can break something and too light you can leak something or have a chance of something falling of and then you are F@%ked.

troof