PDA

View Full Version : Lots of clunking/popping noises in front suspension

4angrybadgers
08-20-2008, 10:42 AM
This may be a bit long, so bear with me.

My current suspension setup is Function & Form Type I coilovers on all 4 corners (lowered maybe 1-1.5", I'm not exactly sure), and a bigger rear sway (I think the previous owner said it was a CTR sway). Front camber is ~-1.5 degrees, 1/32" toe out. Rear has some negative camber, and I'm not sure about the toe (haven't checked it yet, but it looks and feels darn close to stock).

Starting around 5-6 months ago, I started hearing a popping noise from my front left suspension. It was really hard to pinpoint a trigger, but it seemed to only happen driving over bumps. After poking around a bit myself and not finding anything, I took it to a shop for a diagnosis. They said the damper was on its way out.

After several months I got both replacement front dampers from Function & Form. The original coilovers were made for the Type-S (no EP version at the time), but since then F2 had updated their Type I dampers, and I got the updated ones for the EP. I shucked the springs and other hardware from the old dampers and put them on the new dampers. The retaining nut on top of the whole assembly was different, and there was a bit of a gap for the spring to slide up and down the damper between the top and bottom perches (only when the bottom perches were all the way at the bottom). Once I installed them however, it fit fine and everything felt secure. The old dampers used Type-S tie rod ends, so I swapped the stock EP tie rod ends back on with the new dampers.

After a test drive I heard a bunch of clunking/knocking, and upon examination I realized that the new damper brackets were only drilled for 14mm bolts and the OEM damper/knuckle bolts are 16mm. I purchased all new OEM bolts, drilled out the damper bracket holes, bolted it all up a week ago and it looked fine.

Now the original popping noise is back (front left only). In addition, both front assemblies will clunk/knock very loudly on large or sharp bumps in the road, and I can clearly feel it through the frame and chassis. (I've also noticed the steering deflects to the side sometimes when that happens, although this is the first time I've had a proper front end alignment, so I'm not sure if it's the clunking or just the alignment causing that.) Small/slow bumps will not cause any unusual noise, and bouncing the car myself won't cause any noise.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

mustclime
08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
1) The holes that the tie rods fit into are supose to be tappered for a tight fit, if you drilled them with out a "reaming bit" that cuts a tappered hole they are most likly moving around under the load of your 2700 lb car....
2) Your popping noise is most likley a loose spring purch, check and see if they are all tight.
3) I had a strange thunking noise that took me a month to find, it was a loose swaybar end link. It was only loose by like 3 turns but there was a huge amount of noise...so check them to.:mwink:

.colin
08-20-2008, 01:52 PM
my car has been making these sounds too, i have yet to find a solution (though i havn't taken a look at it yet)

talonXracer
08-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I am tracking down some clunks and pops on my new Progresscoilovers. It appears to be the damn ITR sway bar, were is my sledge hammer..............................LOL

4angrybadgers
08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
1) The holes that the tie rods fit into are supose to be tappered for a tight fit, if you drilled them with out a "reaming bit" that cuts a tappered hole they are most likly moving around under the load of your 2700 lb car....
2) Your popping noise is most likley a loose spring purch, check and see if they are all tight.
3) I had a strange thunking noise that took me a month to find, it was a loose swaybar end link. It was only loose by like 3 turns but there was a huge amount of noise...so check them to.:mwink:

1) I drilled out the holes in the bracket that fits around the knuckle, not the tie rod ends. The tie rod ends are a snug fit as-is. :mbiggrin:

2) Loose relative to what? Both sides have always been free to rotate on the damper, and the popping is only on the left.

3) I checked those when the popping first started, but I'll check 'em egain.

Drew1d
08-21-2008, 05:03 AM
I had the wrong size shocks in the front. The opening was for 14mm like you said, they tried to get bolts and crank it down as hard as it could go, but it would never hold an alignment.

The noise came from the top hat, but it was because the shock was moving, changing camber and toe. It made it handle like Sh$#% and with every bump and hard turn, it would change slightly.

I know you said you drilled them out for 16mm and used the right bolts, but they may be slipping. If I had to guess what was making the noise, I'd start there.

After I had the front shocks replaced with appropriate KYB's, it hasn't made any sound since. Good luck to you.