PDA

View Full Version : Traveling five feet in first gear

snubnose
07-14-2002, 06:02 AM
Hi. This thread is about first gear in the Si. It seems like it's time to shift to second after going only about five feet in first. Why is the car geared this way?

I don't see this as a flaw, I just don't understand the engineering behind this. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Hondatech
07-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Depends on what your idea of "time to shift" is.

Please tell me you're not one of these people who just uses first to get going, and immedalty slams it into second. I usually run up to 4.5-5K before shifting into second.

FWIW, I was ona road test with a customer in a '94 Civic LX sedan who didn't use first AT ALL! Painful trip, that was...

snubnose
07-14-2002, 09:42 AM
No, I follow the owner's manual recommendation to shift at 14 mph, or 7 mph during cruising acceleration.

punkdork
07-14-2002, 10:07 AM
Its close ratio gearing for sport oriented performance (sounds like marketing eh?).

Anyway, the point is, the gears are really close in ratio so if your shifting for economy as defined by the manual you are essentially driving the car opposite of the way it was designed.

snubnose
07-14-2002, 01:15 PM
So, how is the car designed to be shifted? Can you be specific and detailed? This is why I'm here, to learn.

Thanks.

SmoothOperator
07-14-2002, 01:35 PM
It's an Si man!! Drive the damn thing like it's meant to be driven!
I don't think you should pussyfoot with Si's. They've always been built in a way, so you can drive em hard.
I always bring 1st gear up to about 5k. Sometimes even higher.

SBC31
07-14-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by snubnose
No, I follow the owner's manual recommendation to shift at 14 mph, or 7 mph during cruising acceleration.

What's an Owner's Manual?????????:D

punkdork
07-14-2002, 02:41 PM
So, how is the car designed to be shifted? Can you be specific and detailed? This is why I'm here, to learn.

Thanks.

The gear ratio is designed to keep the car in the power band as you switch between each gear. To do this the speed range of each gear is kinda short (how many times have we complained about ~3500 @ 65mph). This being the case the car will gain speed quickly in each gear and need to be shifted rather quickly.

I feel like I keep saying the same thing over and over. If you want tall gears go get an old 4 speed muscle car :)

BlazeX12
07-14-2002, 03:11 PM
I normally shift at about 5k too, and it gets there quick, which i dont mind, becasue i think our second gear has to be one of the strongest, if im driving it hard, its impoosible to not chirp due to kick in power. Most races i have been in that i won, i pulled hard on them in seond, i dont know if there is any statistical proof, it just feels like it is.

OrganDonar 8=D
07-14-2002, 06:20 PM
drive it like you stole it 1st-6800 rpm, shift, 2nd 6800rpm,shift, 3rd 6800 rpm now your movin

more fun that way

Gibhunter
07-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Shift whenever you feel like it and not when the manual tells you. When you're just cruising along then shift at 3500-4000RPM, when racing shift right AT the redline. Hope that helps.

snubnose
07-15-2002, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone. Won't it tear the engine up to shift at higher revs? Or am I wrong?

punkdork
07-15-2002, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone. Won't it tear the engine up to shift at higher revs? Or am I wrong?

Its a sports car (sort of) its meant to be revved. The redline and rev limiter are there to protect your engine. As long as you maintain it well (oil changes, etc) you should be fine.

revoemag
07-15-2002, 12:37 PM
You don't want to cruise around at high revs all the time. That will destroy your engine. But revving high and shifting is not bad. High revs means higher temps and more stress on the car. This will shorten the life of the car. I wouldn't worry about it, though. Hondas are built to last.

I'd have to agree with Gibhunter. Shift at about 3500-4000 unless you're racing or trying to accelerate quickly.

Whatever the case, always have fun.

NetDragon
07-15-2002, 03:12 PM
I know it looks like this is all covered, but I just thought I would drop in my 2 cents.

Yeah wheeling around and just driving normal I almost always shift between 3-3.5k. I almost never street race, but when getting on the freeway or street racing, I shft at 6K, especially if the onramp is really short.

Best think to do is try and think along the power band. 2L 4 bangers generally have low torque and you do not get a whole lot of power under 2-2.5K. Just driving around, when you shift and the RPM's drop make sure they drop and stay above 2k or 2.5k. This is what the car is designed for. And it is a true V-TEC. You get LOTS more power above 5K.

I am no expert, but I have over 2k miles on my 2K2 Si now & this is what I have observed. And yes, like a true car geek, I ready my manual cover to cover, skipping the obvious stuff, like how to operate the seat belt. Also read very carefully over parts I have never had in a car before, like cruis control & ABS brakes. I even tested the ABS on dry and wet tarmac. While I know they help, it feels like something is broken when they kick in. But keep that foot down hard on the brake until you stop.

Damn I ramble on too much. :p