PDA

View Full Version : Project "Rosie O'donnell" (Interior)

20CiviC02Si
08-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey guys as some of you know the car is going to be prepped over winter for time attack. This means putting the car on a serious diet! This diet includes the removal of the following:

- Airbag and Stock Steering Wheel
- Interior Panels
- Full Stereo
- Sound Deadening
- Rear Wiper Assembly
- Sunroof
- Center Console
- Golve Box

Now i have been trying to think of what to replace the stock steering wheel with.... I need your guys help with picking out the parts i need to get the job done, and done right!

Here is what i am thinking:

- Mugen Boss Hub
- Either Nardi Deep Corn 350mm in Suede or Sparco Comp 345 in Suede

I'm not sure what i'll need to get this installed, so I need you guys to help fill in the gaps.

Also i have a couple questions regarding cruise control and SRS. My SRS light has been on ever since i removed the stock seats and replaced them with the Buddy Club P1 Limiteds, this i know i can clear with the DIY. Now what i need to know is how i need to go about it for both Air Bags.

As for the cruise control, i wouldn't mind keeping it, however how do i go about making it work with the new setup? Otherwise how should i go about removing it completely from the car?

If someone has any input on how i can get this job done right, i would seriously appreciate it. I am just trying to get myself 100% ready to get all this work done.

Thanks!
Jake

Also keep up on my progress once winter starts. Because i will be starting this project come November!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/20Civic02Si/DSC00015-1.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/20Civic02Si/DSC00016-1.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/20Civic02Si/DSC00017-1.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/20Civic02Si/DSC00204.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/20Civic02Si/DSC00035.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/20Civic02Si/DSC00033.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/20Civic02Si/DSC00032.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/20Civic02Si/DSC00052.jpg

Mods:

Engine:
-KPRO (High Octane Custom Tune)
-AEM CAI (Comptech Ice Box on it's way!)
-ITR Header/Cat
-Buddy Club Spec II Exhaust
-O2 Extension Harness
-Koyo Radiator
-Samco Radiator Hoses
-Mugen Radiator Cap
-Mugen Oil Cap
-Mugen Fan Switch
-Mugen Reservoir Covers
-Buddy Club Race Spec Battery
-Skunk2 Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
-High Temp Black Painted Valve Cover

Trans:
-Exedy Stage 1 Clutch
-9.5lb Chromoly Flywheel
-OBX LSD
-Buddy Club Short Shifter
-Skunk2 Magnetic Transmission Plug

Suspension/Braking:
-Tein Superstreet Coilovers w/ Pillow Ball Mounts
-Skunk2 Rear Camber Kit
-CTR 22mm Rear Sway
-Comptech Front Strut Bar
-Mugen Rear Upper Tie Bar
-Wilwood 12.2" Big Brake Kit
-Wilwood Front Flexline Kit
-Corsport Rear Stainless Brake Lines
-Hawk HP+ Brake Pads
-OEM Rear Rotors
-Motul RBF 600

Interior:
-Buddy Club P1 Limited Wide Seats
-Buddy Club Super Low Down Seat Rails
-Buddy Club Type B Shift Knob
-Takata 6 Point Harness (Driver) 4 Point (Passenger)
-Corsport Harness Bar and Camera Mount
-Mugen Sport Pedals
-UKDM Type R Cluster
-JDM Shift Boot
-JDM Coin Holder
-JDM Dual Din Cover
-CTR Red Vinyl Steering Wheel Badge
-DIY Painted Dash and Trim

Exterior:
-VIS OEM Carbon Hood
-17x7.5 Work Emotion XD9
-225/45/17 Bridgestone RE01R
-JDM Sidemarkers
-JDM CTR Badges
-HFP Wing

Alignment Specs:
-Camber F -1.8 / R -1.9
-Toe- F .06 Out / R .04 In
-50/50 Cross-weight

ep3moschini
08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
yank the a/c system and abs :mangel:

20CiviC02Si
08-20-2008, 06:40 PM
ABS is staying can't afford to flat spot tires at the moment. A/C is a different project.

lordhelmet
08-20-2008, 08:40 PM
What are you going to do with the huge hole in your roof after the sunroof is gone?

itchy5
08-20-2008, 10:14 PM
What are you going to do with the huge hole in your roof after the sunroof is gone?

aluminum sheet metal + bondo + sanding + repaint? :mconfused:

EDIT: also, get a sparco hub + sparco suede comp wheel imo The SRS will be on as long as you tamper with airbags, you can yank the light behind the dash i guess... or find a srs bypass from mugen.

20CiviC02Si
08-21-2008, 04:21 AM
aluminum sheet metal + bondo + sanding + repaint? :mconfused:

EDIT: also, get a sparco hub + sparco suede comp wheel imo The SRS will be on as long as you tamper with airbags, you can yank the light behind the dash i guess... or find a srs bypass from mugen.Actually i am thinking about going with same gauge metal as the roof, and having it welded in.

As for the Sparco hub. Would i need that if i am using the the Mugen Boss Hub?

ep3moschini
08-21-2008, 04:48 AM
Actually i am thinking about going with same gauge metal as the roof, and having it welded in.

a person up here in massachusetts did that on an ep3, it came out great!

20CiviC02Si
08-21-2008, 05:04 AM
a person up here in massachusetts did that on an ep3, it came out great!Yeah i am going to have someone with the knowledge of TIG welding to do this. I am a certified MIG welder, however i think that a MIG welder would be over kill in this situation. I may just decide to MIG it because it's easy and i have one available to me whenever i need it!

Not to mention i think my buddy's dad may help me out with this project. The car will be getting stored and worked on in his garage over winter, and he is a 25+ year veteran in the auto body industry! WOOT!

Once this is completed the car will be prepped and masked for paint come spring. Just giving her a new coat of Taffeta White. Can't have my baby looking all tore up from half-assed dealership cover up work.

ep3moschini
08-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Yeah i am going to have someone with the knowledge of TIG welding to do this. I am a certified MIG welder, however i think that a MIG welder would be over kill in this situation. I may just decide to MIG it because it's easy and i have one available to me whenever i need it!

Not to mention i think my buddy's dad may help me out with this project. The car will be getting stored and worked on in his garage over winter, and he is a 25+ year veteran in the auto body industry! WOOT!

Once this is completed the car will be prepped and masked for paint come spring. Just giving her a new coat of Taffeta White. Can't have my baby looking all tore up from half-assed dealership cover up work.

lexan rear windows, and nets up front :mredface: yank the guts out of the doors

20CiviC02Si
08-21-2008, 06:00 AM
lexan rear windows, and nets up front :mredface: yank the guts out of the doors
That's a little too far! Lexan windows are not street legal, i need the car to be streetable as well!

gettheledout
08-21-2008, 06:35 PM
it will make me kind of sad to see an ep without a sunroof :/
it's yo car though <3

20CiviC02Si
08-22-2008, 03:33 AM
It would make me very happy to see the sunroof gone!

ep3moschini
08-22-2008, 04:07 AM
It would make me very happy to see the sunroof gone!

I rarely use mine. . . id rather have the structural rigidity than the pop up slide back halfway, then press the button again all the way device

20CiviC02Si
08-22-2008, 04:29 AM
I rarely use mine. . . id rather have the structural rigidity than the pop up slide back halfway, then press the button again all the way deviceExactly my point! Not to mention lower the center of gravity by getting rid of all that weight on the highest point of the car.

b.r.i.a.n.
08-22-2008, 08:02 AM
why not just get a ctr roof panel? i'm sure you could ask the guys at showstoppersusa to possibly import one.
make sure to get the headliner too.

this is what toda did with their project rsx.

http://todaracingusa.com/article?t=7&id=2

K-Series
08-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Don't they make CF inserts for the sunroof?

Steve

20CiviC02Si
08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
why not just get a ctr roof panel? i'm sure you could ask the guys at showstoppersusa to possibly import one.
make sure to get the headliner too.

this is what toda did with their project rsx.

http://todaracingusa.com/article?t=7&id=2I could easily get one, however do you now what work needs to be done to swap it! I DO! It aint easy or cheap. As for a plug, i don't want to have a plug to fill the void i want a solid roof for structural rigidity.

If for some reason i do decide to order the CTR roof panel, i'll have to talk to my friend's father to see what it would take to do it. We did the work on a rolled Explorer once so i know he can do it. Also i will not need the headliner, because i am removing the old one anyway! Fully gutted is the plan.

The goal is to get the car as close to 2400lbs as i can! If not lighter!

dobbs02si
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Your better off using wire on the sunroof panel..tig creates waay to much heat. Mig it and grind it, much less body work.

20CiviC02Si
08-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Your better off using wire on the sunroof panel..tig creates waay to much heat. Mig it and grind it, much less body work.You are completely right on this! If i were to TIG it would take 4 times longer to finish the beads because you cannot run a continuous bead for the entire length of the weld. If you do it'll distort the metal, i learned this while getting my oxy acetylene certification.

We had to weld together a box made of 1/4" steel plates. Then drill and tap a hole, once this step was completed you had to fill the box 1/2 with water and pressurize it to test for leaks. Mine made it to 115psi before it sprung a leak! After this test you had to fill it again this time 3/4 full and then close up the hole. It took me a little while to figure out the trick, and this is the point i am trying to make. You had to let it cool periodically to allow the water to cool inside. If you didn't then the water would evaporate and pressurize. Once this happens it's impossible to continue until it cools.

So to TIG the roof panel you would have to run small beads and then try to connect them together over time.

So you make a valid point!

dobbs02si
08-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Yee. I hate body work but I love metal work, thats why im a machinist/fabricator. Same principals on welding though, try tig'in a 70 gal aluminum fuel tank up with out distorting.

EP_EJAY
08-22-2008, 09:01 PM
subscribed. There was a Import Tuner article on weight reduction on the EP. It was pretty interesting, im looking for it as we speak

b.r.i.a.n.
08-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I could easily get one, however do you now what work needs to be done to swap it! I DO! It aint easy or cheap. As for a plug, i don't want to have a plug to fill the void i want a solid roof for structural rigidity.

If for some reason i do decide to order the CTR roof panel, i'll have to talk to my friend's father to see what it would take to do it. We did the work on a rolled Explorer once so i know he can do it. Also i will not need the headliner, because i am removing the old one anyway! Fully gutted is the plan.

The goal is to get the car as close to 2400lbs as i can! If not lighter!

i have no clue what it required. i think 2400lbs is do-able. wasn't there some other track ep3 on this site that had one down to like 2200lbs? iirc ep3 ctr's stcok weigh about 2500. i think with most interior removed, sound deadening removed and cf hood, trunk and possibly fenders and doors (although i wouldn't go with cf fender or doors), you could get the ep3 down way below 2400lbs.

where can you get a ctr roof panel btw? b/c it's something i wanted to do in the long run.

adrian1281
08-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Two guys in this thread:
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45911&page=4

Are claiming the following weights without drivers:
1015kg = 2237lbs
950kg = 2094lbs

These are time-attack cars though so probably all glass is lexan, gutted doors, etc.

A more mild weight reduction could probably get you into the mid 2400 range IMO.

20CiviC02Si
08-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Yeah i have read up on his time attack build for sometime now. I could see how his 2200lb curb weight could hold true. However i won't be going as drastic as he did. Well not yet at least! LOL!

!@#$%
08-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Two guys in this thread:
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45911&page=4

Are claiming the following weights without drivers:
1015kg = 2237lbs
950kg = 2094lbs

These are time-attack cars though so probably all glass is lexan, gutted doors, etc.

A more mild weight reduction could probably get you into the mid 2400 range IMO.

The vid of that ep is pretty nuts. Too bad the ep isn't that light from the get-go.

20CiviC02Si
08-25-2008, 02:37 PM
The vid of that ep is pretty nuts. Too bad the ep isn't that light from the get-go.I hear ya, cars keeping getting bigger and bigger. I mean the FIT is no lightweight either! If we had today's motor technology with the lightweight compact shells of the early 90's we'd have some awesome cars with even better gas mileage. We need to get rid of all the conveniences that cars come with now, and get us some small cars with zero electronics. Just a base car that gets you A-B.

magmagik 1
08-25-2008, 08:18 PM
What about light weight battery??

20CiviC02Si
08-26-2008, 04:19 AM
Already have a Buddy Club Race Spec Battery!

I have posted up my modification list as well as current pics of my car to show what has already been done to the car.

minivan_assassin
08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Dude, I need a couple interior pieces :mangel:

minivan_assassin
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Hitting reply instead of edit post = win

please delete, mods.

02EP3SI
08-27-2008, 01:12 PM
leave the EP alone and get an EG for time attack

20CiviC02Si
08-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Either way the EP is getting gutted! I am one step closer now! Picked up my Suburban today and it is now registered and covered for insurance at a hefty premium..... $285/month..... "My ass hurts, thanks to Progressive!"

SHG_EasyE
03-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I say you just remove the abs light from the cluster, and also remove the cruise control. Its all pretty straight forward. To avoid wiring issues just unplug the button pod and tuck the harness up out of sight, then you can remove the cruise cable aswell.