PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads Question...

jh604
08-20-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm just looking around at the different pads available. Has any one dealt with Raybestos pads? any input anyone can give? I hear the Professional Grade Pads and Advancd Technology Pads are pretty good.

http://www.raybestos.com/wps/portal/raybestos

skep18
08-20-2008, 04:20 PM
I've not delt with them, but unless you're doing some serious racing, any reputable pads will do. And if you ask me, and this is you DD, then Duralast have served me well for years. :mbiggrin:

jh604
08-20-2008, 04:23 PM
I've been looking at the HAWK pads and for a DD and maybe some autox would you recommend getting the HPS or HP PLUS?

Lucid Moments
08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Definitely not the HP+. They stop good, but they are noisy as fuck. The HPS are okay but dust pretty bad.

sLiCk
08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm running the HP+ and love it. Very good performing street pad but extremely noisy and dusty. For your purposes I would stay away from it.

oldschoolimport
08-20-2008, 08:32 PM
HPS is a good street pad. hell, my girlfriend has them on her altima, and I put some on my moms avalon.

Twisted-X
08-20-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm using HP+, and haven't really noticed a whole lot of noise after they were bedded in. I reused the stock pad shims. They do dust like mad though.

v1c10us
08-20-2008, 10:07 PM
I've been looking at the HAWK pads and for a DD and maybe some autox would you recommend getting the HPS or HP PLUS?
I had the HP+ and they were pretty noisy, I then got the HPS and they are dusty as shit, I now have the Endless SS S-Sport pads and they bite great. They're slightly dusty, not as bad as the HPS and they aren't noisy at all.
My favorite pad out of the three I've had so far.

jh604
08-20-2008, 10:21 PM
I had the HP+ and they were pretty noisy, I then got the HPS and they are dusty as shit, I now have the Endless SS S-Sport pads and they bite great. They're slightly dusty, not as bad as the HPS and they aren't noisy at all.
My favorite pad out of the three I've had so far.

thanks for your input...where can i read more or purchase the endless ss s-sport pads?

v1c10us
08-20-2008, 10:42 PM
http://endlessusa.com/category.php?c=brakepad
I just typed them into google shopping

MugsyTheGr8
08-21-2008, 08:14 AM
i like my satisfied gransport pads alot. about to get a set for the rear to match the front.

adrian1281
08-21-2008, 09:16 AM
<---- Has heard good things about Porterfield R4-S.

clujalolo
08-21-2008, 01:26 PM
hey jordan when you changing your brake pads? i gotta do mine this weeked, im looking to get some brake pads also.

v1c10us
08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
The raybestos pads are probably asbestos based which doesnt seem like a great idea to me as far as health goes, nothing like breathins asbestos brake dust and wiping asbestos dust off your wheels.

MugsyTheGr8
08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
The raybestos pads are probably asbestos based which doesnt seem like a great idea to me as far as health goes, nothing like breathins asbestos brake dust and wiping asbestos dust off your wheels.
did you assume that from the name? because they aren't.

v1c10us
08-21-2008, 08:54 PM
did you assume that from the name? because they aren't.

haha yes It just seemed like a logical assumption.
I wouldn't call my product anything with abestos in the name, even if it doesnt say asbestos it sounds close enough to freak me out.
oh they're call raybestos because they are the besto!
probably made by ray.

jh604
08-21-2008, 11:28 PM
hey jordan when you changing your brake pads? i gotta do mine this weeked, im looking to get some brake pads also.

well basicly my brake system.

i got:
power slot rotors (front and rear)
SS lines (front and rear)

now pads and i dunno what i get haha

jh604
08-21-2008, 11:29 PM
haha yes It just seemed like a logical assumption.
I wouldn't call my product anything with abestos in the name, even if it doesnt say asbestos it sounds close enough to freak me out.
oh they're call raybestos because they are the besto!
probably made by ray.

hahaha i hear thay are relly good soo...i dont know what to get!!!

v1c10us
08-21-2008, 11:36 PM
I highly reccomend the endless pads, but it kind of depends on how you drive.
If you just want brakes that act like stock but when you get on them they've got a little more bite, go with the hawks
if you want a pad that feels more sporty, has better pedal feel and bites sooner, the endless pads do just that.

FCobra94
08-22-2008, 05:52 AM
:gtfo:

spydur
08-22-2008, 06:43 AM
The EPA wouldn't allow any product to be produced and sold to either industry or the public which puts off friable (able to get into the air) asbestos. So, you need not be concerned with asbestos in brake dust.

S P Y D U R
SAIL-ON!

EP3driver
08-22-2008, 08:40 AM
http://endlessusa.com/category.php?c=brakepad
I just typed them into google shopping

Hey where did you buy those pads? I need some for my hatch.
My 02 celica GTS came with them and they are still on, great pads!

Zzyzx
08-22-2008, 08:55 AM
<---- Has heard good things about Porterfield R4-S.

I ran R4s for a few years, Great pad. good bite at low temps and critical fade was upwards 1200 Deg F. Only problem I had with them... No squeal strips.

And for the record, Raybestos as a company making brake pads has been around since 1902 (Original company was A.H Raymond Co.)... And the name Raybestos was derived from asbestos, because they did make an asbestos based brake pad. Just like everyone else did back then. Obviously the EPA doesn't allow that any more.

lbk02si
08-22-2008, 09:25 AM

yea, asbestos is not used anymore, hence it being a carcinogen.

adrian1281
08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
I ran R4s for a few years, Great pad. good bite at low temps and critical fade was upwards 1200 Deg F. Only problem I had with them... No squeal strips.

And for the record, Raybestos as a company making brake pads has been around since 1902 (Original company was A.H Raymond Co.)... And the name Raybestos was derived from asbestos, because they did make an asbestos based brake pad. Just like everyone else did back then. Obviously the EPA doesn't allow that any more.

By "squeal strips" you mean when they wore down to almost nothing they didn't "screech"?

I guess these would be pads you'd have to check on to make sure they don't wear down to the backing plates?

Thanks for the information as I was interested in getting them soon.

Zzyzx
08-22-2008, 09:46 AM
By "squeal strips" you mean when they wore down to almost nothing they didn't "screech"?

I guess these would be pads you'd have to check on to make sure they don't wear down to the backing plates?

Thanks for the information as I was interested in getting them soon.

They didn't make a sound... till I hit the backing plate..... and then it was more of a grind then a squeal.

Most street pads have a little metal tab extending off the side and down towards the rotors face... when the pad wears down the tab will eventually hit the rotor and squeal, telling you your pads are nearly done.

Its really not that surprising they don't have them though... Porterfield is basically a race brake pad company that happens to make one compound that works well for the street.

adrian1281
08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Not to thread jack, but how lond did the Porterfield pads last?

Not as long as you expected since you wore them down to the backing plates?

Zzyzx
08-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Not to thread jack, but how lond did the Porterfield pads last?

Not as long as you expected since you wore them down to the backing plates?

About a year an a half of driving, including a full year of autorcross. and a year of driving for me = ~18,000 miles.

So... around 27,000 miles

Be aware that as per the sales rep the R4s pad is designed for street use and Light track use. And the expected wear characteristics change drastically at about 8-900 Deg, as in they wear quicker near their terminal fade point.

and on a personal note... Carbon Kevlar pads smell funny when they're hot.

adrian1281
08-22-2008, 01:21 PM
About a year an a half of driving, including a full year of autorcross. and a year of driving for me = ~18,000 miles.

So... around 27,000 miles

Be aware that as per the sales rep the R4s pad is designed for street use and Light track use. And the expected wear characteristics change drastically at about 8-900 Deg, as in they wear quicker near their terminal fade point.

and on a personal note... Carbon Kevlar pads smell funny when they're hot.

Any experience with the R4 or R4-1 pads? Which would be more suitable for racing?

Zzyzx
08-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Any experience with the R4 or R4-1 pads? Which would be more suitable for racing?

No personal experience. But from experience with their staff, give them a call or shoot them an email. They've always been quick to answer any of my questions.

Porterfield Enterprises Ltd

1767 Placentia Ave
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
(949) 548-4470
Fax: (949) 548-7783
Outside California: (800) 537-6842

Email: sales@porterfield-brakes.com

Hours: Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm PST