PDA

View Full Version : people with 8600+ miles on their cars

ULTRAMANIA
11-25-2002, 08:40 PM
someone wanna help me here.. i got about 8700 miles on my car.. and my service light comes on when i start my car.. it flashes on for a while and then it turns off.. it doesn't stay on , it just flashes on at the beginning w hen you start your engine.. has anyone else had this probably when you reached this milage?

2k2civicSi
11-25-2002, 08:53 PM
it for the 10,000mile servce

Dunrick
11-25-2002, 09:02 PM
Make sure you gas cap is in nice and tight. The dealer told me to make sure that its on, or the engine light will turn on. I turn it like 3 times after it starts clicking....It even says on our gas caps to do that.

IceD out N CALI
11-25-2002, 09:14 PM
i had the same problem as u at 8700. I jus hit 10000 today and now it wont come off till either i turn it off (owners manual explains) or get the 10k service at the dealer

1fastminivan
11-25-2002, 09:25 PM
I havent had any lights come on yet........unless Im not paying attention but I just hit 10k and I havent seen anything. It would stay on wouldnt it??? I need to check more often.

chakra71
11-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Laugh, i was glad i read in another thread about this light. Last night after my first run in the quarter mile i was stopped for about an hour waiting, so i turned the car off and when i cranked it up my Maintenance Require light came on. I about had a heart attack for a second until i flipped my trip meter to total miles and saw that i turned over 8k on my quarter mile pass.

change oil, rotate tires, reset ecu.

ULTRAMANIA
11-25-2002, 10:09 PM
thanks guys for the replies.. phew.. i'm glad it isn't anythign to serious... icedout.. i think you're right.. i was thinking something about that it mite be referring to the 10000 miles check up.. thanks again for the replies...

Silver Bullet
11-25-2002, 10:35 PM
To reset that lite. You put the key in the ignition ( don't turn the key) push and hold the button in your instument cluster (The one on the right) now turn your key till dash lights come on, when the maintenance light quits flashing, turn the key back off. Your lite is now reset!

ULTRAMANIA
11-26-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Silver Bullet
To reset that lite. You put the key in the ignition ( don't turn the key) push and hold the button in your instument cluster (The one on the right) now turn your key till dash lights come on, when the maintenance light quits flashing, turn the key back off. Your lite is now reset!

yea i heard that too, but i dont want to just turn off my maintence light and not get it checked up.. i figure that if the light comes on... the car is telling me that i need some kind of check up obviously.. so imma go get it checked up and have honda turn it off..:D

CgSi
11-26-2002, 02:16 AM
Look in the owners manual for reset !

02SilverSiHB
11-26-2002, 05:07 PM
yeah, have that going on right now :D damn light freaked me out! Cone Killer made me feel like an idiot when he said it's in the user manual on how to turn it off. I'll just wait till the 10k mile service

Mechanic
11-26-2002, 05:16 PM
And while yr resetting the service interval reminder, be damn glad you don't own a BMW/MBenz. Both have similar reminders, but they cannot be reset by the vehicle owner, at least not unless you are willing to buy the electronic device to do so. So, your options are spend $80 for a the reset device (for the Bimmer; none yet exists for the MB) or take your car in to have it reset and pay the service charge.

Our ability to reset these devices is yet another reminder that Honda is looking out for its owners. Those who know how to maintain their cars can do it and reset the monitor, and those who don't want to do their own work are reminded that maintenence it's needed.

ULTRAMANIA
11-26-2002, 05:21 PM
heh.. agreed..

chunky
11-26-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by ULTRAMANIA

yea i heard that too, but i dont want to just turn off my maintence light and not get it checked up.. i figure that if the light comes on... the car is telling me that i need some kind of check up obviously.. so imma go get it checked up and have honda turn it off..:D

it's a simple mileage based indicator.

it goes off after a certain number of miles no matter what.

all hondas have had this for quite some time. My 2000 si had it, it was easier to reset though, you just pushed a little button in the gauge cluster with the key. It's mainly to remind you to change your oil.

civicracer.com
11-26-2002, 11:01 PM
i am a honda certified technician owner of 5 civics which includes my 2002 civic si

beleive me do your oilchanges every 3000 miles regardless what honda says!

7500 is the proper first oil change and every 3000 miles after that

DO NOT WAIT untill 10k regardless what honda says

i see these new civics all day everyday at work
the cars that shows up for 10k service without previous services are a mess!

but the choice is yours....thats just my experience

www.civicracer.com

66elwood99
11-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Thanks for this Post, I just noticed the light staying on for awhile yesterday :p

02SilverSiHB
11-27-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by civicracer.com
i am a honda certified technician owner of 5 civics which includes my 2002 civic si

beleive me do your oilchanges every 3000 miles regardless what honda says!

7500 is the proper first oil change and every 3000 miles after that

DO NOT WAIT untill 10k regardless what honda says

i see these new civics all day everyday at work
the cars that shows up for 10k service without previous services are a mess!

but the choice is yours....thats just my experience

www.civicracer.com
glad to see you joined ephatch civicracer :D I bought a few things from you way back for my 97 civic (the throttle body and intake manifold you had bored out). For anyone that's never heard of this guy.....I'd have to say he knows his shit. He's not lying when he says he's owned 5 civics. And they were not slow :D

By the way civicracer, what mods did you have to achieve the 14.9?

Edit: Nevermind, saw your post in the member profiles

Sleeper Style
11-27-2003, 06:20 PM
about how much is the 10k check up...that is for those who had the dealer service the car. also is a one day thing ro something i should be prepared to leave the car? i would rather just do it all myself, but will that damn light perminatly go away if i do the milage rest button...or will it return at 10k and not go away?

skooba
11-27-2003, 06:33 PM
i think the charge is somewhere around $150 or $200.... i wouldnt recommend it. when i bought my si i got 2 years free oil change, and since thats the main thing of the service, it just isn't worth it. change the oil yourself, rotate the tires yourself, check your own fluids. its not hard at all and certainly not worth the $$$ that the $tealer$hip charges.

Brettnyt
11-27-2003, 08:16 PM
congrats on waking a dead thread exactly 1 year from its date of death...

BluePearl03Si
11-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Zombiethread!

I change mine every 5 K actually with Mobil-1 5W20 Full Synthetic.

The dealer put in 5W30 synthetic and said it was "Just the same". BULLSHIT! Then they tried to deny that Mobil 1 made a 5W20.....huh, I have 2 cases of it in my garage!

Sorry to all you service techs, but that is a real asshole of a deal, they go against the advice your own manual has not to use 5W30 except if nothing else is available.

Zero Three Si
11-27-2003, 09:21 PM
You guys are all FOOLS if you give the dealer $150-200 dollars for the "10,000 mile CHECKUP".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...they change your oil, give you some windshield washer fluid and reset the "maintenance req'd" light. I changed my oil at 1,000 miles, 4,000 miles, 9,000 miles and I'm due for the 12,000 mile oil change now.

Do a search on this topic. You'll find out this "checkup" is all BS and a quick way for honda to make a quick buck off you.

Sleeper Style
11-28-2003, 03:55 AM
that is what i thought. i thought it was complete bs and was all just the fluids. okay so if i should do the reset of the maint. light with the mileage button all will be okay right? and whoops i didn't mean to wake a thread..and it is kinda odd that it was a year ago...but...eh...c'est la vie

BluePearl03Si
11-28-2003, 05:23 PM
It's fueled by the fact that Honda is notorious for claiming that you didn't "Do" your oil changes and that you had "Sludge" in your engine to deny warranty claims. You could change your oil every 3K miles and they can still claim it.

I'm just changing my own now and keeping receipts.

Zero Three Si
11-28-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Sleeper Style
that is what i thought. i thought it was complete bs and was all just the fluids. okay so if i should do the reset of the maint. light with the mileage button all will be okay right? and whoops i didn't mean to wake a thread..and it is kinda odd that it was a year ago...but...eh...c'est la vie

EXACTLY. You are catching on fast.

BarracksSi
11-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by chunky
it's a simple mileage based indicator.

it goes off after a certain number of miles no matter what.

all hondas have had this for quite some time. My 2000 si had it, it was easier to reset though, you just pushed a little button in the gauge cluster with the key. It's mainly to remind you to change your oil.

They had it in the Accord way back in 1980 or so, too.

Not only did lights come on for different service needs, but they were reset by sliding the car's key in a little slot beneath each one.

Road & Track's article about that Accord was basically a big lovefest, with them being amazed at all the little things that were included in every nook & cranny of that car. It read like a description of my '86 Civic hatchbacks, and many features are still around today.

Surprise
12-01-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by BluePearl03Si
Zombiethread!

I change mine every 5 K actually with Mobil-1 5W20 Full Synthetic.

The dealer put in 5W30 synthetic and said it was "Just the same". BULLSHIT! Then they tried to deny that Mobil 1 made a 5W20.....huh, I have 2 cases of it in my garage!

Sorry to all you service techs, but that is a real asshole of a deal, they go against the advice your own manual has not to use 5W30 except if nothing else is available.

Mobil 1 only comes in 0w20, 5w30, 10w30, 0w30, 0w40 and 15w50.

They do not make a 5w20.;)