PDA

View Full Version : ctr struts/springs vs stock??

jellymax
08-22-2008, 08:51 AM
how much of a drop will u get with type r struts & springs (Japan), from a stock ep3/si..?

how much stiffer is the ride?

also, how do European struts/springs from a type r differ from the Japanese
type r

thanx

mustclime
08-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Buying use suspension parts is not the best idea imo....If you want something very close to type-r suspension, get the hfp kit stoop is selling new under the ome honda parts banner for under 700. If you drop the ep3 more than a inch, it will handle like crap with out a lot of other mods.:mangel:

hfp = about 3/4 inch drop

jellymax
08-22-2008, 11:02 AM
i already have the ctr parts. struts with springs. they were inexpensive.

the ep3 i have is a daily driver with a type S rear sway &
koni sport springs with worn out stock struts. my desire to
toss the stk struts out & get koni struts but cannot afford this
right now.

just want a fun daily driver car. ctr struts w/koni springs or
ctr struts w/ctr springs. what do you say?

MugsyTheGr8
08-22-2008, 11:32 AM
another alternative is the acura rsx a-spec suspension. it is still redily available at most acura dealerships and i found one online for $600 from curry acura (http://www.curryacuraparts.com/pro.html). you will need rsx tie rod ends in additon to a camber kit. it lowers the car one inch.

mustclime
08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
i already have the ctr parts. struts with springs. they were inexpensive.

the ep3 i have is a daily driver with a type S rear sway &
koni sport springs with worn out stock struts. my desire to
toss the stk struts out & get koni struts but cannot afford this
right now.

just want a fun daily driver car. ctr struts w/koni springs or
ctr struts w/ctr springs. what do you say?

not a fan of the the koni springs....30mm drop is a bit to much imo.:mangel:

drjd888
08-22-2008, 01:44 PM
another alternative is the acura rsx a-spec suspension. it is still redily available at most acura dealerships and i found one online for $600 from curry acura (http://www.curryacuraparts.com/pro.html). you will need rsx tie rod ends in additon to a camber kit. it lowers the car one inch.

Safe to assume that the RSX A-Spec suspension has a progressive spring rate like the HFP just with a lower drop? Possibly a little stiffer?

MugsyTheGr8
08-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Safe to assume that the RSX A-Spec suspension has a progressive spring rate like the HFP just with a lower drop? Possibly a little stiffer?
i would assume so. plus the rsx is heavier than the ep.

thechromecoyote
08-22-2008, 03:38 PM
before the crash I had an entire write up on this... :mfrown: shame I never saved any of it.

UKDM/ JDM Stock EP3 Type R
(257 Front / 419.10 Rear) Progressive

USDM EP3 Si
(248 Front/440 Rear) Progressive

Fronts are stiffer, rears are looser. Ride height is about 15mm lower (~.65"-.75")

metalviper
08-22-2008, 04:51 PM
you found the spring rates for progressive springs?

drjd888
08-22-2008, 05:25 PM
before the crash I had an entire write up on this... :mfrown: shame I never saved any of it.

UKDM/ JDM Stock EP3 Type R
(257 Front / 419.10 Rear) Progressive

USDM EP3 Si
(248 Front/440 Rear) Progressive

Fronts are stiffer, rears are looser. Ride height is about 15mm lower (~.65"-.75")

How accurate can those numbers be if its progressive? I do know that progressive spring rates change as they are compressed to achieve that middle ground between comfort and handling.

jellymax
08-23-2008, 02:42 PM
thanx for the help. i will probably run the ctr struts & springs for now
until i can afford good struts. i work at a honda service dept so
labor & alignment is not too much problem.

v1c10us
08-23-2008, 03:10 PM
typically rates given for progressive springs are the average per inch.
for instance if the springs were 100lbs for the first inch, 200 for the second, and 300 for the third they would say its a 150lb/in spring
other times the rates are just for the first inch

fonzeka
08-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I believe the correct spring rates for the CTR is 134-257lb/in front and 212-419lb/in for the rear.

trickkykidd.02
08-23-2008, 03:47 PM
I am running CTR springs up front with Tokico D specs and stock rear springs.

Ride is nice, good DD.

Car isnt even noticeably raked it looks level

tires 215/45/17 front 225/45/17 rear.

trickkykidd.02
08-23-2008, 03:49 PM
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk225/trickkykidd/109.jpg

metalviper
08-24-2008, 09:57 AM
typically rates given for progressive springs are the average per inch.
for instance if the springs were 100lbs for the first inch, 200 for the second, and 300 for the third they would say its a 150lb/in spring
other times the rates are just for the first inch

hmm doesnt seem like credible numbers unless theres a consensus as too what rate to use from the spring. plus giving the average of each coil wouldnt give you a minimum nor maximum spring rate

thechromecoyote
08-24-2008, 10:32 AM
most aftermarket and OEM springs for street cars are progressive rate springs, their "lbs ratings" are accepted as such regardless of nitpicky accuracy from 1" compressed to whole spring compression. Though I agree that manufacturers should be more clear in their explaination of what these mean, you can trust the numbers as they compare to other street springs.

The 257/419 is from honda itself, who didnt list the exact rates or whether this was an average or full compressed rate in the literature I took it from.

MugsyTheGr8
08-24-2008, 05:04 PM
hmm doesnt seem like credible numbers unless theres a consensus as too what rate to use from the spring. plus giving the average of each coil wouldnt give you a minimum nor maximum spring rate

sad but true. but, thats why in many cases they just give you a % stiffer than stock.

jellymax
08-25-2008, 09:13 AM
my koni springs drop the car approx 1.5in. they are too stiff for the
stk si struts. i wonder how they would be with the JDM ctr struts?

v1c10us
08-25-2008, 02:54 PM
my koni springs drop the car approx 1.5in. they are too stiff for the
stk si struts. i wonder how they would be with the JDM ctr struts?

The main appeal of CTR springs is that they're safe with OEM struts.
The frequency on CTR suspension is not difference enough to dictate differently valved struts, maybe slightly, but if you install them you will most likely notice no difference.
I suppose its possible they could be a little stiffer and that might be one of the ways the CTR gets away with handling better without being bone jarringly stiff, but i'm not sure.

EVOKIN
08-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Then could it be the rims and tires size dictate their handling? They are running 17" with less side wall compare to 15" and 16" USDM EPs.

v1c10us
08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Then could it be the rims and tires size dictate their handling? They are running 17" with less side wall compare to 15" and 16" USDM EPs.

There are many things at play.
Less sidewall flex compared to our USDM ep3's as you mentioned, the stiffer rear sway bar, the lower ride height, the spring rates are different which affects handling in some fashion, as to if it makes them better or worse than ours would depend on how you like your car to handle.
The softer rear springs would make the stiffer rear sway bar more reactive I think, although it might make it less reactive, I think it would depend on the situation. I.E. Cornering vs Bumps
They are lighter and there might be other suspension components that differ from ours, I don't know for sure, but the front sway might be different, etc.

blackyEP3
08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I have CTR springs on stock shocks on my 2002 EP. The car looks marginally lower. Would swaping out the stock shocks with some aftermarket ones help me lower the 4x4 look?

MugsyTheGr8
08-28-2008, 04:11 PM
I have CTR springs on stock shocks on my 2002 EP. The car looks marginally lower. Would swaping out the stock shocks with some aftermarket ones help me lower the 4x4 look?

shocks don't necessarily dictate height so, no.

jellymax
08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
update

i installed ctr struts with str springs, it now sits approx 3/4" below
stock hieght.

ctr struts definitely have more dampening than stk, plus they are
a good match for the ctr springs. the amount of control over
bumps while turning is more as it should be.

together with the type 's' 21mm rear sway, i am very happy with
this setup for now.

styling wise, the 1.5inch drop of the koni springs looks betta, but
i am going to save up for struts that are a proper match so it
is not so bouncy. no hurry at this point...

mustclime
08-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Again, lowering a ep3 or dc5 more than about a inch pushes your rollcenters below ground. If you must loose the "wheel gap", get larger wheels and tires to fill the gap( I run 17X7 wheels with a 42 offset and 225/45-17 tires) . If you must lower your center of gravity, try lowering your seat with some em2 rails or a aftermarket seat.:mwink:

jellymax
08-29-2008, 12:09 PM
good advice climb, thanx.

i am actually ok with the current gap. handles better. looks decent.

have 17's, but closer to stk diameter 215/45

blackyEP3
08-29-2008, 10:59 PM
pix??