PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Locking Lug nuts...

o4ep3civ
08-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Yeah Well I didn't strip the nut itself, I stripped the key for them. Now I have no idea what to do, I need to take them off.

Does anyone know how to go about going this?

liquid cooled
08-24-2008, 04:17 AM
1. How did you do this?
2. What brand are they?
3. If the lugs arent stripped get a new key, alot of tire/wheel places have various keys for different lugs.

o4ep3civ
08-24-2008, 10:37 AM
The key slipped off the lug when I was tightening it.
The are factory honda lugs nuts.

1. How did you do this?
2. What brand are they?
3. If the lugs arent stripped get a new key, alot of tire/wheel places have various keys for different lugs.

talonXracer
08-24-2008, 10:51 AM
You should have a code for the Key socket. Honda can obtain a replacement for you I do believe. If not the nuts may need to be cut/burned off if a pair of vicegrips will not remove them. You could also cut a slot in the end with a dremel and use a impact screwdriver with a straightslot tip.

cHaNkStA
08-24-2008, 11:28 AM
You should have a code for the Key socket. Honda can obtain a replacement for you I do believe. If not the nuts may need to be cut/burned off if a pair of vicegrips will not remove them. You could also cut a slot in the end with a dremel and use a impact screwdriver with a straightslot tip.

As stated above.

I encountered the same situation as you, and I stripped my key also. I actually brought my car out to Honda, and the Parts guy came out with 12 different keys and tried them on my car. He found one, I bought it and problem solved.

If that doesn't work, just go to a shop, and have them cut them off and replace your studs. It's around $20 ea lug. A bit pricey but that should be your last resort.

socmex7
08-24-2008, 06:08 PM
some tire shops, like mine, have special tools to take off the locks without a key and without having to replace the stud. but you won't be able to put them back on without a key..

holeshot1
08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
snap on sells the tool u need its a universal one all u do is hammer it on and impact that nut off 40 bucks it works for stripped nutz and all lost keys

honda4eva89
08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
the dealership should have a few keys in stock.. the one near my house did and it worked fine

liquid cooled
08-24-2008, 10:38 PM
What were you using to tighten them

o4ep3civ
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I got them off, I went to the Honda dealership and they did it for free. I found out theres 35 different keys from honda. lol.

socmex7
08-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I got them off, I went to the Honda dealership and they did it for free. I found out theres 35 different keys from honda. lol.

woot, congrats on the free part :mbiggrin:

FCobra94
08-26-2008, 07:13 AM
If not the nuts may need to be cut/burned off
Cut/burned off? WTF?

I think it would be 10 times easier to coax a regular, slightly smaller, socket on there than it would be to take a torch to the thing. That sounds like the worst idea ever, actually...

I'd pony up the ~$50 for the Snap-On removal tool before even thinking about trying what you mentioned.

Glad it worked out for the OP though. :mbiggrin: