PDA

View Full Version : Last supercharger questions

Hoff
08-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Well it's been months and soon I'll be getting my si back. For all of you who didn't see the post, it fell off a flat bed in May. Now to the point. I finally have enough money to spend on a supercharger! Don't flame me about Kpro, I'm starting with the street kit and the power card. The best price I can find is from modacar.com which is 2180, does anyone know a site who can beat it?

Also I'm looking for a boost gauge, oil gauge, and the double pod that fits on the steering column. Anyone have any recommendations for what kind of gauges I should get? I really wanted ones that would black out when the car is off, but I'd rather have ones that perform the best for a not to crazy price.

Now other then these things and probably the gatorback belt and the hondata intake manifold gasket, will I need anything else?

Also what size gatorback belt will i need for the street kit?
(If any mods see this and the other one in the NE section, can you delete the on there, figured I'd get more help in the boost section.)

clutch797
08-24-2008, 11:29 AM
don't go with the street kit, trust me. Look on this fourm and you can find some deals.

talonXracer
08-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Why wouldnt it be worth starting with the street kit and then just upgrading to a race pulley, injectors and Kpro later?

Hoff
08-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Well I'm really only looking for a little extra power, and a lot of people have it sound like they enjoy the little extra power. I can always upgrade later. I'd get the race kit, but I really dont feel like having to go tune kpro. Also I like to buy new, used parts just isn't my thing, if thats what you might by looking around on here.

Hoff
08-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Why wouldnt it be worth starting with the street kit and then just upgrading to a race pulley, injectors and Kpro later?

Exactly. :mtongue: Trust me I've been looking at the race kit, but it really comes down to, I'm not familiar with tuning.

Aug
08-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I have a double a pillar gauge pod you can have, just pick it up

Glad to see your alive

clutch797
08-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Exactly. :mtongue: Trust me I've been looking at the race kit, but it really comes down to, I'm not familiar with tuning.

Kpro has a base map that you can load and it's still better then the powercard. It's like anything, do it right the first time so you don't have to do it later.

talonXracer
08-24-2008, 12:27 PM
I havnt really looked at the JRsc very closely, what is involved in swapping the pulley over? Snagged one cheap, just have to go pick it up.

mustclime
08-24-2008, 12:50 PM
running a getto race kit for 15,000 miles...........:mangel:

getto race kit = street kit + 310cc injectors from a type-s, a 4 inch pulley and one step cooler plugs....you need to run the stock cat with this set though to keep the flow down and the ecu happy....I'm making 185-200 whp with no issues.

Hoff
08-24-2008, 01:09 PM
well this is what my set up will look like:
megan header
high flow cat
stock muffler
jrsc-street with powercard
injen SRI

how much power you think I'm looking at there? 170whp and 140ish tq?

I just wanna make sure I do this install right. Ordering oil and boost gauge, hondata IMG, and throttle body gasket. Is there anything else i def need?

jerseyjew
08-24-2008, 01:22 PM
The oil gauge is going to be a waste of your time and money. Take everyones advice and just get Kpro right off the get go. If it requires you to wait another month or two, then just do it. Do it right the first time or don't do it at all...

onmibike
08-24-2008, 01:37 PM
I started with the street kit, don't waste your money like did. Six months later I updated to the race kit with kpro

jaeguyoon
08-24-2008, 02:43 PM
there is a guy selling his race kit with kpro for 2500, you can't beat that!!!!

Guardian
08-24-2008, 04:01 PM
I havnt really looked at the JRsc very closely, what is involved in swapping the pulley over? Snagged one cheap, just have to go pick it up.

what?:mconfused: are you going to run it

jerseyjew
08-24-2008, 04:45 PM
what?:mconfused: are you going to run it
lol, that would be very nuts!!

talonXracer
08-24-2008, 04:56 PM
There was a very good reason for this... And sorry for the thread jack
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0689.jpg

Hoff
08-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Well once again flamed about kpro...

I KNOW KPRO RUNS BETTER, BUT THAT'S NOT THE SETUP I'M GETTING!!!!!

Does anyone have comments that apply to what I'm saying?

mustclime
08-24-2008, 05:31 PM
<------thinks there is no way faster known to blow your motor than to have k-pro......:mangel:

illusionsoflife
08-24-2008, 05:50 PM
http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=166410

use these for the gauge pods. also your 170ish whp on a street kit with a cat isnt looking so promising to tell you the truth. street kit is garbage. how about this. go turbo. does that have to do with what you are asking?

Well once again flamed about kpro...

I KNOW KPRO RUNS BETTER, BUT THAT'S NOT THE SETUP I'M GETTING!!!!!

Does anyone have comments that apply to what I'm saying?

since you asked not to get flammed about kpro. it will always happen.

mustclime
08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=166410

use these for the gauge pods. also your 170ish whp on a street kit with a cat isnt looking so promising to tell you the truth. street kit is garbage. how about this. go turbo. does that have to do with what you are asking?

turbos are nice for biult motors and show cars, blowers are for dd cars with stock motors.:tehehe:

Guardian
08-24-2008, 05:55 PM
turbos are nice for biult motors and show cars, blowers are for dd cars with stock motors.:tehehe:

:mrolleyes:

mustclime
08-24-2008, 06:07 PM
:mrolleyes:

don't give me that look......esmith is the only person that I saw get any kind of life out of a turbo on a stock motor......:hay:

Ba82Ep3
08-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Well as best i can tell the only differences between the street and race kits (not including KPro) are the injectors, 4" pully, and the map relocation bracket... right? (Im in the hunt for an SC myself.)

I know you say your plan isnt to use KPro... and while it may not be the BEST tuning method for K engines... its bang for the buck is HARD to beat. If i didnt already have KPro, i would prolly start off with the street kit myself.

Scott's right though... if you (or your tuner for that fact... not all of them know how to tune) dont know what youre doin with KPro... its a REAL quick way to end up buying a new engine. Buy whats comfortable for you and your wallet.

Hoff
08-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Exactly Mustclime. Seems like turbo cars just don't last. I just want a quicker dd and not have to worry about blowing my motor.

Hoff
08-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Well as best i can tell the only differences between the street and race kits (not including KPro) are the injectors, 4" pully, and the map relocation bracket... right? (Im in the hunt for an SC myself.)

I know you say your plan isnt to use KPro... and while it may not be the BEST tuning method for K engines... its bang for the buck is HARD to beat. If i didnt already have KPro, i would prolly start off with the street kit myself.

Scott's right though... if you (or your tuner for that fact... not all of them know how to tune) dont know what youre doin with KPro... its a REAL quick way to end up buying a new engine. Buy whats comfortable for you and your wallet.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I really don't want to put my trust into some guy I don't know to rev the crap out of my car to tune it. Heard a few horror stories and I don't have the money for a new motor.

talonXracer
08-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I still dont see why getting the street kit now and upgrading later to Kpro with a race pulley and injectors isnt viable. At least you have some additional added power that is reliable untill you decide to upgrade or sell the car.

Lucid Moments
08-24-2008, 06:57 PM
There is no reason why he can't. If that's the way you're comfortable doing it then go for it.

The upgrade when and if you decide to do it is retarded easy.

As to your questions I am no help at all. Sorry. I haven't shopped for that stuff in a long time now.

You mention an oil gauge. Oil pressure or oil temp?

bdooley
08-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I really don't want to put my trust into some guy I don't know to rev the crap out of my car to tune it. Heard a few horror stories and I don't have the money for a new motor.

First off i think if you really wanna go for the race kit and get tuned 600 for evans and he is awesome at tunning so no need to worry. he tuned my boys 600+whp 93 hatch.

I still dont see why getting the street kit now and upgrading later to Kpro with a race pulley and injectors isnt viable. At least you have some additional added power that is reliable untill you decide to upgrade or sell the car.

I think it makes sense to go with the street kit since a. he might not like the power or how the supercharger runs the car or b. he might feel like its sufficent for now and then wanna upgrade later. so i think you have a legit opinion

mustclime
08-24-2008, 07:05 PM

It a great upgrade path imo....A street kit with bolt ons is about as fast as a more or less stock type-s but with tq.....The street kit makes the ep3 a much more fun car to drive....You won't be chasing down any street bikes but its a good mod imo.

Hoff
08-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Oil Pressure Gauge.

And tomorrow I'll be calling showstoppers and a few other places looking for the best prices. I'm ready to make the dive. Can't wait to hear the whine!

Guardian
08-24-2008, 07:32 PM
don't give me that look......esmith is the only person that I saw get any kind of life out of a turbo on a stock motor......:hay:

i was pushing 14psi on my a3 before the swap and my engine now is kinda stock

Guardian
08-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Oil Pressure Gauge.

And tomorrow I'll be calling showstoppers and a few other places looking for the best prices. I'm ready to make the dive. Can't wait to hear the whine!

if crsx has it, its the best price

mattism78
08-24-2008, 07:45 PM
There's a guy selling a complete race kit with Kpro for $2500 on here. Why in the heck would you go any other route?

Hoff
08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Like I said earlier, I'll pass on anything used.

jh604
08-24-2008, 09:03 PM
i think its perfectly fine what he is doing. i too am looking into for a SC for quite some time. if i were to get used id only get it locally. i think imight also go for the street kit and upgrade later on.

sorry to thread jack but what is the difference between the street and race kit?

kpro
4" pulley
injectors (dont know the size)
map relocator

anything else?

j0000stin
08-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Well it's been months and soon I'll be getting my si back. For all of you who didn't see the post, it fell off a flat bed in May. Now to the point. I finally have enough money to spend on a supercharger! Don't flame me about Kpro, I'm starting with the street kit and the power card. The best price I can find is from modacar.com which is 2180, does anyone know a site who can beat it?

Also I'm looking for a boost gauge, oil gauge, and the double pod that fits on the steering column. Anyone have any recommendations for what kind of gauges I should get? I really wanted ones that would black out when the car is off, but I'd rather have ones that perform the best for a not to crazy price.

Now other then these things and probably the gatorback belt and the hondata intake manifold gasket, will I need anything else?

Also what size gatorback belt will i need for the street kit?
(If any mods see this and the other one in the NE section, can you delete the on there, figured I'd get more help in the boost section.)

youll need a 7 rib 63 in belt, it took me freaking 4 hours to find one called every autozone in the sac area and finally when i thought all hopw was lost and on my way home i see a kragen and decide to check it out for one last time and irritated as my friend and i were we checked and long and behold they had one hahah

also i do not recommend upgrading your pulleys without kpro as said by everyone here, i plan on ghetto rigging my sc to a race kit with upgraded pulleys injectors, etc. but i plan on getting kpro first, its worth its money

Hoff
08-25-2008, 06:34 AM
After a very helpful PM I think I'm ordering the race kit with the reflash. It sounds like the reflash runs more efficient then the powercard. Any input? NO KRPO.

mustclime
08-25-2008, 06:40 AM
i think its perfectly fine what he is doing. i too am looking into for a SC for quite some time. if i were to get used id only get it locally. i think imight also go for the street kit and upgrade later on.

sorry to thread jack but what is the difference between the street and race kit?

kpro
4" pulley
injectors (dont know the size)
map relocator

anything else?

62.2 Belt and the injectors are 440cc.

clutch797
08-25-2008, 06:42 AM
I ran the race kit with my a3 and i only got 23mpg with the base map or the "reflash". I tuned it and an got 28mpg and then blew the motor and swaped in an a1 and turboed it. I got very bad mpg with the jrsc untuned. Just like what has been said, Tuning is key.

mustclime
08-25-2008, 06:59 AM
After a very helpful PM I think I'm ordering the race kit with the reflash. It sounds like the reflash runs more efficient then the powercard. Any input? NO KRPO.

The power cars does fine for what it is. Reflash does dumb up your ecu though and if you ever want to go back to stock, you fuct. :tehehe:

Hoff
08-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Hmm never thought about that...what to do...

clutch797
08-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Hmm never thought about that...what to do...

easy, spend the extra money and just get kpro. It's really is nice to have, I have done both the jrsc and turbo and if i did not have kpro i would have been in a world of hurt.

Rep
08-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Why does a supercharged car need a boost guage?

Hoff
08-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Well it's just a precaution I've read. Just to keep track of the boost and make sure there's no leaks or belt slippage.

02EP3SI
08-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Kpro was my first mod:mbiggrin:

as for the upgrading down the road. Its all fine and dandy. As soon as you bolt that bad boy on and take it for a drive you will come home and search for the rest of the stuff you need. You will want it fast.

I bought a EP race kit. But the pulley was a 4 inch pulley. Not a race pulley for a k20a block i was only seeing maybe 3-4 psi:tehehyper:

I was embarrassed to drive a supercharged car that was so slow. I parked it and ordered a 3 inch pulley from pulleyboys and ran 9-10 psi, and would straight scoot.

Here is a video of mine i shot on a private runway near my town that my friend owns..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uEGjtyQ_Zh8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uEGjtyQ_Zh8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

vbpracer
08-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Well it's just a precaution I've read. Just to keep track of the boost and make sure there's no leaks or belt slippage.

Boost gauge is indeed good to have, for leaks and a rough estimate of boost created.

Hoff
08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Everything is ordered and is on it's way. Should have my car back next week and then the weekend after...everything is going on! woot!

Ba82Ep3
08-28-2008, 08:28 PM
So what kit didja decide on getting, and from who for how much? It wont be long for me either!

Hoff
08-29-2008, 04:25 AM
I got the street kit from modacar for 2280. Also coming is megan headers, high flow cat, injen CAI, hondata IMG, prosport gauges, and royal purple. Should feel a slight difference in power once this is all on. :tehehyper::tehehyper::tehehe:

headaike
08-29-2008, 10:18 PM
i just installed my street kit few days ago
freaking awesome!!!

ohdamngetit
08-29-2008, 11:30 PM
<-- also in the hunt for a JRSC-S. Just a few more SHINY AZZ PENNIES TO GO.

Good read/info in here.

66elwood99
08-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I got the street kit from modacar for 2280. Also coming is megan headers, high flow cat, injen CAI, hondata IMG, prosport gauges, and royal purple. Should feel a slight difference in power once this is all on. :tehehyper::tehehyper::tehehe:

Have patience getting the blower in with the IMG, very tight.......
I've been running the race kt with reflash for almost 50,000 miles now and get around 29 mpg....

Enjoy and congrats

Hoff
08-30-2008, 03:50 AM
Basically waiting on the supercharger and the IMG now. Got everything else in the mail...oh yeah and waiting on my car to come home from the body shop.

ETA of supercharged yellow egg = 2 weeks :mbiggrin:

Ba82Ep3
08-30-2008, 07:18 AM
2300 aint bad at all... does that include shipping? Its a little cheaper than direct from Moss. 200$ can pay for a lot of little goodies to help finish the install. :mbiggrin:

Good luck on the install... and i hope ya have LOTS of safe fun with it!