PDA

View Full Version : Whats next?

Razr98
08-25-2008, 12:21 AM
As far as suspension i have Tein SS-P, Eibach Front and Rear Sways, lighter wheels and better tires(better than the last ones atleast lol), FSB, and thats about it. I'm getting an aligment and from what i read here some agressive street settings are -1.5 front camber and -.75 rear camber, just wondering if anyone has some thoughts on how i can improve my suspension setup any further.

Zzyzx
08-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Suspension setups are fairly subjective, as what you intend to do with the car plays a huge part in what could be considered better as far as tuning goes.

So, what are your intentions? Are you planning on using the car for competition such as Autocross or open track, or is this purely a street car?

Then there's the fine tuning of what you've already got. and for that we'd need a assessment of with the car is doing now and what you want it to do more or less of.

Regardless of the above, get the alignment before you start tweaking any thing else.

mustclime
08-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Time for some energy suspension bushings.....the stock ones suck.

Razr98
08-25-2008, 10:37 AM
i wanna try autocrossing atleast once, but this will mainly be a street car, would you say the camber settings are a bit too agressive for a street car?

Zzyzx
08-25-2008, 10:46 AM
no, -1.5 on the nose is quite mild really (I'm running -2.5). Given its just the max OEM allowed settings... just reversed front to rear. its a decent comprimise between tire longevity and handling.

For autocross you may find having a stiffer front bar is going to cut in to your corner exit speeds, which are fairly important when chaseing a clock, but not that important for daily driving.

Otherwise I'd recomend going to several autocrosses. if just to get use to driving the car near its limits in a controled enviornment. And its also usefull to chase a clock as its going to show you instantly whats faster as far as line, driving technique & tuning.

Razr98
08-25-2008, 10:51 AM
With the 1.5/.75 setttings will the car drift to the sides alot? I don't mind putting up with some drift, but as long as its not pulling hardcore every few seconds haha.

Zzyzx
08-25-2008, 11:01 AM
are you asking about straight line stability?

Toe is a greater influence here, but yes increasing camber will tend to make the car track/tramline a bit more.

Razr98
08-25-2008, 11:05 AM
ahh yeah straight line stability, do you have any recommendations for damper settings?

MugsyTheGr8
08-25-2008, 11:06 AM
With the 1.5/.75 setttings will the car drift to the sides alot? I don't mind putting up with some drift, but as long as its not pulling hardcore every few seconds haha.

as long as it is even left to right it shouldn't be a problem

Zzyzx
08-25-2008, 11:09 AM
ahh yeah straight line stability, do you have any recommendations for damper settings?

Damper tuning 101.

Damper valving directly influences how quickly weight is transfered around the chassis. And with out getting in to details the short answer is:

Soft = Grip
Stiff = Slip

So, soften the end of the car you want to have grip more and stiffen the end of the car you want to have slip more.

This is where autocross comes in handy as a tuning tool, as you can instantly see changes in lap times from just tweaking dampers.