PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about this coilovers????! advice!

foxhoundEP3
08-25-2008, 05:15 PM
im new to this import/tunning stuff and all i wanna do is to make my car look good and little by little add power to it. so far i have a cold air intake (fugita). now i wanna drop it. i dont know what i should get. neither if this coilovers are good or not. need advice on anything and everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03-HONDA-CIVIC-SI-COIL-OVER-OVERS-COILOVERS-SPRING_W0QQitemZ120296833273QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em120296833273&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

dofu2
08-25-2008, 05:19 PM
ummm... no.

foxhoundEP3
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
guidance at least?

i would not buy those. and just a personal preference, i'd recommend full coilovers over sleeve types.

for full coilovers (spring and strut paired together), stick with a reputable (or well known) name brand. you do not want to go cheap on your suspension.

in no particular order, some brands are: tein, buddy club, progress, tanabe, megan...

also, do some research on lowering height and wheel alignment before lowering your car.

ep_hatcher_510
08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
JDM yo!

foxhoundEP3
08-25-2008, 06:14 PM
i think ima go with skunk2 coilovers. any comments on these?

ep_hatcher_510
08-25-2008, 06:43 PM
no, sk2 quality has not been the best. if you want a coilover sleeve setup go with ground controls. Are you going to be replacing your shocks?

foxhoundEP3
08-25-2008, 06:53 PM
no, i dont think so... like i said, my knowledge on this is zero. so i dont know what needs to be done when it comes to lowering the car and not damage it. idk if im supposed to buy new shocks or just go with springs

jjermzz
08-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Research wants out there, as in full coilover or combos. Research what you need and for what. Is it DD? most likely, so you want a better ride. Some people over look this part but what US region you from and how the streets. Some Cali dudes might say k-sport, megan do me no wrong, but there streets are solid.

I roll in the Boston region on Tokico D-Specs shock absorbers with Sportline Eibach springs. It gives a good look and ride. Its about 1.5 inch drop. You can adjust the shocks from firm to soft. I have it on firm, tho I think it caused my mounts to give in.

I had the older Ground Control coilover(about $325) on the stock shocks and the blew in weeks. But others claim smooth rides for a year. But once again check region. You can put GC coilovers on the D-spec if you like to.
You can combine
D-specs for like 550+ or other model shocks which is a little or alot better then stock
with
Ground Control(GC) $325
or
Springs 150+ Tein, Eibach, tanabe, et c

Some people go springs first till shocks go then replace them. If you wanna look good now people will go with the cheapest. Then opt for the best, doing the job twice. Sometime they end up hating the car.

or go with Full coilovers 800+

P.S. if you go ebay coilthings you'll sacrifice a good ride. I'd rather roll high. I really can't judge on anything esle then what I rode on. Oh yea and rear camber kit to save your tires. Or you'll be eating then in a half a year.

JDMtunerEP3
08-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Definitely stay away from most of the ebay buys!

When i first started playing with cars i had to learn the hard way and you just end up eating money and time.

Most of the ebay parts either don't fit correctly, break easily, or cause other things to go wrong that were fine in the first place.

The best way to do anything car oriented is to do it the right way the first time and 9 times out of 10 you won't have to kick yourself for what you've done!

Don't be afraid to ask for help that's what forums are all about!!!

ep_hatcher_510
08-25-2008, 07:57 PM
no, i dont think so... like i said, my knowledge on this is zero. so i dont know what needs to be done when it comes to lowering the car and not damage it. idk if im supposed to buy new shocks or just go with springs

Def. get shocks, the ride and quality of the suspension will be much better then if you kept your stock struts.
What are you planning to do with the car? Daily driver or some sort of competition? what is the height you want your car to be at when is lowered?

foxhoundEP3
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
away from ebay ! , got it !. yes the Ep will be a daily driver, i currently live in the atlanta area since im stationed here (Marine Corps). i really dont know what height i want my car to be. i just want it to ride good, not scratch the bottom or be worried about going in or out of parking lots or speed bumps. i wanna put 17"s on it because the rims that i want dont come in 16"s or 15"s.. if that helps.
like jdmtuner said i wanna do it right the first time.

03Si757
08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Id say get them, try them out, and you tell us. For that price, not really missing out on much, I dont understand why companies charge so much for spun peices of metal anyways.

ep_hatcher_510
08-25-2008, 11:19 PM
away from ebay ! , got it !. yes the Ep will be a daily driver, i currently live in the atlanta area since im stationed here (Marine Corps). i really dont know what height i want my car to be. i just want it to ride good, not scratch the bottom or be worried about going in or out of parking lots or speed bumps. i wanna put 17"s on it because the rims that i want dont come in 16"s or 15"s.. if that helps.
like jdmtuner said i wanna do it right the first time.

1.5" drop would be good, high enough to get over stuff and gives a good stance. Maybe look into tein s techs springs with tokico shocks, or get a entry level prebuilt full coilover should be more then enough to suit your needs.

jjr007
08-26-2008, 03:28 AM
You don't have to stay away from ebay, just the off brand stuff, I got my Eibach Pro Kit brand new (window display) for $64.00 delivered.

civictype_r04
08-26-2008, 06:37 PM
:rofl: Don't pay anything under $350 for coil over sleeves meaning get Ground controls.:mwink:

dofu2
08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
guidance at least?

Like stated earlier, get Ground Controls if you must have a 3 piece suspension. Almost everything else has been known to break. But the Ground Controls will make a lot of sound, and that gets annoying so I would suggest full coilovers or a strut and spring setup.

dofu2
08-26-2008, 07:40 PM
You don't have to stay away from ebay, just the off brand stuff, I got my Eibach Pro Kit brand new (window display) for $64.00 delivered.

Just don't buy Tein or APEXi products on there since there are lots of fakes floating around. If anything, find a respectable, well known shop that uses ebay as promotions and marketing.

jw1
08-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Just don't buy Tein or APEXi products on there since there are lots of fakes floating around. If anything, find a respectable, well known shop that uses ebay as promotions and marketing.

Do you mean don't buy Tein or APEXi products off of eBay? Or do you mean at all? Tein seems to make a pretty decent street (not competition) product.

4angrybadgers
08-27-2008, 05:09 AM
Do you mean don't buy Tein or APEXi products off of eBay? Or do you mean at all? Tein seems to make a pretty decent street (not competition) product.

He's saying don't buy them on eBay.